Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marvelous
    • Jun 2003

vbPortal is not free anymore.

The only way to get the software is by paying to become a member of their site which is only $20. It's no big deal, but I could have sworn that it was published under some sort of license that stated that the software had to be free or something of that nature. I could be wrong but I really think this is the case. If so, is this illegal or in violation with the license?
  • Cary
    • Apr 2002
    • 3.6.x

I believe they've been charging for it for quite some time now... I may be mistaken, though.

If you don't want to pay for a portal system, head on over to http://vbulletin.org - you'll find some free ones over there.

Comment

• Marvelous
      • Jun 2003

Look what I found by the guy that runs vbPortl.

I...The Nuke portions of vbPortal are covered under the GNU/GPL license. The portions that integrate Nuke and vBulletin are not, they are copyright by phpPortals. This means that I reserve the sole right to produce and distribute vbPortal unless prior permission is obtained.
      So this means, I can take the Nuke code, make it use the same accounts as another program and sell it for a profit? It just doesn't seem right to me.

Comment

• Cary
        • Apr 2002
        • 3.6.x

Read http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq....PLCommercially for the answer to that question.

Comment

• Marvelous
          • Jun 2003

You are allowed to sell copies of the modified program commercially, but only under the terms of the GNU GPL. Thus, for instance, you must make the source code available to the users of the program as described in the GPL, and they must be allowed to redistribute and modify it as described in the GPL.
          These requirements are the condition for including the GPL-covered code you received in a program of your own.
          Cool, so if I get a copy, it's not illegal to give it to other people.

Comment

• Techguy1
            • Jul 2002
            • 3.7.x

except the vb integration part.
            HFT Online - Professional computer help ... with a personal touch

Comment

• Marvelous
              • Jun 2003

Using the GNU GPL will require that all the released improved versions be free software.
              Hmm, I think vbPortal falls under this category, since it just improved to work with vBulletin.

Comment

• UHN_ED
                • Jan 2003

It does not fall under that catergory because there is original code (the vb integration code). Improvements would be bug fixes and such, there is original code in vBportal. It is illegal to re-distribute it.

Comment

• Marvelous
                  • Jun 2003

Originally posted by UHN_ED
                  It does not fall under that catergory because there is original code (the vb integration code). Improvements would be bug fixes and such, there is original code in vBportal. It is illegal to re-distribute it.
                  Hmm, this is from the page that cary linked too.

Combining two modules means connecting them together so that they form a single larger program. If either part is covered by the GPL, the whole combination must also be released under the GPL--if you can't, or won't, do that, you may not combine them.
                  One being the original nuke code, and the other being the vb integration.

Comment

• Vile
                    • Jul 2002
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Marvelous
                    The only way to get the software is by paying to become a member of their site which is only $20. It's no big deal, but I could have sworn that it was published under some sort of license that stated that the software had to be free or something of that nature. I could be wrong but I really think this is the case. If so, is this illegal or in violation with the license?
                    $20 is pretty darn cheap; it's well worth it.
                    Webmaster / Administrator
                    www.MegaGames.com
                    www.MGForums.com

Comment

• Marvelous
                      • Jun 2003

You are allowed to sell copies of the modified program commercially, but only under the terms of the GNU GPL. Thus, for instance, you must make the source code available to the users of the program as described in the GPL, and they must be allowed to redistribute and modify it as described in the GPL.
                      These requirements are the condition for including the GPL-covered code you received in a program of your own.
                      It does fall under that category. vbPortal took the nuke code and made it into vbPortal. Since Nuke code was under the GPL license, vbPortal, that uses nuke's code must also release under the GPL license. And under the GPL license you are allowed to redistribute the source or modify the source and release it.

Comment

• Marvelous
                        • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Vile
                        $20 is pretty darn cheap; it's well worth it.
                        Yea, I know its cheap, and most likely going to pay it whenever I get my vBulletin license, but that is not the point.

Comment

• merk
                          • Jul 2001

Originally posted by UHN_ED
                          It doesnt?
                          If I use a piece of software that has been obtained under the GNU GPL, am I allowed to modify the original code into a new program, then distribute and sell that new program commercially?

You are allowed to sell copies of the modified program commercially, but only under the terms of the GNU GPL. Thus, for instance, you must make the source code available to the users of the program as described in the GPL, and they must be allowed to redistribute and modify it as described in the GPL. These requirements are the condition for including the GPL-covered code you received in a program of your own.
                          and

I'd like to incorporate GPL-covered software in my proprietary system. Can I do this?

You cannot incorporate GPL-covered software in a proprietary system. The goal of the GPL is to grant everyone the freedom to copy, redistribute, understand, and modify a program. If you could incorporate GPL-covered software into a non-free system, it would have the effect of making the GPL-covered software non-free too. .....

Comment

• phill2003
                            • Apr 2003

I'd like to incorporate GPL-covered software in my proprietary system. Can I do this?

You cannot incorporate GPL-covered software in a proprietary system. The goal of the GPL is to grant everyone the freedom to copy, redistribute, understand, and modify a program. If you could incorporate GPL-covered software into a non-free system, it would have the effect of making the GPL-covered software non-free too. .....
                            i could be and most likely am wrong but that bit looks to me to be saying that if vbportals want to continue to offer this only to paying customers they need to take all the gpl covered software out?

mind you i have asked for feedback from vbportals on this...

Comment

• Dave-G
                              • Mar 2001

I think what is being missed here is the major point...

vbPortal is not selling the software, it is charging for access to a members area and support, the fact you can only obtain the "latest" version via a members only access is maybe what is confusing people.

The version that has been discontinued was ver 8.1 and it did have lots of old nuke code but it was also freely available to download via a link on the front page.

Also vbPortal has and still is under going a major rewrite from the botton up removing old code and replacing it with their own, but this part should be explained by one of the developers and not me.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...