nvida - ati

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brian Briscoe

Ive always went with nVidia.

Actually I used to go with 3dfx until they went out, then I switched to nVidia.

Comment

• alpha
      • May 2001

Been an nVidia fan for couple of years now - the last three vid cards I purchased were based on an nVidia chipset.

However, after doing some research and browsing popular hardware forums - I will be purchasing on of the ATI Radeon 9500 Pro (or maybe 9600 pro or if I decide to spend some more money, go with the 9700 pro).

nVidia has been a video card ruler for a long time but seems like ATI finally caught up with the latest technology and is the most popular card in the hardware enthusiasts' market.

Comment

• N9ne
        • Mar 2002
        • 3.5.0 Beta

Well until about a year ago, I didn't know much about computers in the way of which graphics card to choose, best type of RAM, etc. etc. so I just took what came in the computer package, and I believe in my 1st computer (oohhh back when I had windows 3.1 I don't know what gfx card I had but I only needed it to play minesweeper ), in my 2nd computer, I think it was an ATI Rage or something like that, so I was with ATI then but I took no notice, I wasn't an avid gamer then; but as time passed I became more of a gamer. I now 'game' daily on my 3rd PC in which I actually know what graphics card I have , once again it came with the package and I took no notice when buying, but it's a nVidia GeForce3 Ti500. Serves me well.

But now I do know (well I've known for months) that the ATI Radeon range is great for gaming, so er, my next graphics card which will be CHOSEN by me () will probably be an ATI Radeon 9800 128MB DDR but if the 256MB version is out, I'd be more than compelled to get that instead

Comment

• Marco
          • Nov 2000
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by CeleronXT
          Er.. I could've sworn it was the nVidias that were both more expensive and still sucked? (I could be wrong. Too lazy to look up the prices)
          Well last time I checked, the Radeons were more expensive than the GeForceFX cards...

I believe the Radeon 9800 Pro cards over here are over $400, and the GeForceFX 5900 cards a little under $400 (those would be the top tier models). Either way, I'm not going to spend that much on a graphics card.

Comment

• Mr. X
            • May 2001

Started out with a crap S3 Virge, then got my first 3d card, a Pure3d 6mb Voodoo 1. But that was crap too, so I got TNT1 16mb PCI and was really pleased with that. Then I got a 32mb TNT2, then a member on my forums got me my current Asus V7700 GTS2 64mb card, so its been Nvidia largely for me

I never gave ATI a serious look, but after the 9700 came out I changed my mind, and for my next rig I'll probly get the 9800 or whatever comes out after that. My only worry is drivers, I still hear the occasional problems with some games and drivers so thats where Nvidia usually owns, the stable detonators.
            forums: pcfx.cc
            gallery: here

Comment

• LeeCHeSSS
              • Jan 2002

I started with an "ATI Mach 64 Pro Turbo" (quite a mouthful)
              After about 2 years I replaced my pc and got a "nVidia TNT 32"
              Pretty soon I *upgraded* to a "nVidia Geforce 2 MX" (I started hating MX cards with a passion from that moment)
              So, I immediatly (about 2 weeks) swapped to my brother's "nVidia GeForce 2 GTS"
              About a year later I got a "nVidia Geforce 4 MX" for free (I knew it would be temporary - still hate(d) MX cards)
              Luckily, within 2 weeks my current "ATI Radeon 9700 Pro" arrived for free as well.

Frankly, the first ATI card I had was perfect, the nVidia cards all were outdated when I bought them because they were so expensive, and the last ATI card is again perfect.

No card whatsoever gave me problems with drivers btw...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...