X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jerry
    • Dec 2002
    • 1.1.x

nvida - ati

I've always been nvidia, just out of habit not really thinking about it, until I did some research into ATi's drivers, then actually chose nvidia, though that was years ago.

Who uses what now?
    Nvidia
    41.03%
    ati
    51.28%
    other
    7.69%

The poll is expired.

I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me
  • Raz Meister
    • Jun 2001

Been using ATI out of habit for years.

Not really a gamer so I went for the ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon yonks ago.
    Raz - KMC Forums

Comment

• JulianD
      • Mar 2002
      • 3.8.x

I've been using NVIDIA since the GeForce2, then I got a GeForce3 and that's what I'm using right now. I don't have money to upgrade my videocard right now, but I would gladly buy some ATI video card because I've seen their performance and video quality
      ~ LANeros.com ~

Comment

• Xelation
        • Jan 2002
        • 3.0.0 Beta 5

been using a radeon9700 pro for over almost a year now and am going to continue to use ati because I've never had one problem with installation or any bugs to this date. 3d gaming has been joyous for me to

Comment

• Radon3k
          • Nov 2001

I currently have an ATI Radeon 8500. I've never had one problem with ATI. I don't like nVidia mainly because I used to own a Voodoo 5 5500 and when nVidia bought 3DFX they stopped supporting the Voodoo cards, so I've kind of been boycotting nVidia because of that, though that was many years ago.

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
            Former vBulletin Developer
            • May 2000
            • 1.1.x

This is where my allegiances have been:

Number Nine (771)
            Matrox
            3DFX
            Nvidia

I have a heavy bias against ATI from when they were rather a joke (during the S3/Matrox 2D reign). So as long as Nvidia is comparable, I will stick with them. Same thing with AMD, as long as Intel is comparable I will always use Intel. I can never seem to get the AMD 386/486 bad taste out of my mouth. <shrug>

.. but then my interest in games started to wain back in 1996-1997. My computer is always faster than lightning but I don't keep my video card up to date (I have a Ti4600).

Comment

• filburt1
              • Feb 2002

I love nVidia cards just because their drivers are perfect: easy to update, powerful if you want them to be, and don't even require you to download them for a specific card.

I have an ATI TV Wonder (not technically a video card but still in the multimedia envronment), and it has the most worthless POS drivers I've ever used. It requires many unintuitive steps to install them, and only now is it compatible with Windows XP fully (previously it would randomly give me garbled video).

Also the TV viewer takes up 90% CPU sometimes. 90%! What the hell! All it has to do is take video from the hardware and draw it on a video overlay. Previous versions used pretty much no CPU time. There's nothing like working in Photoshop, and while rendering a filter, seeing the TV framerate drop.
              --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
              Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
              vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• Chris Schreiber
                • Jun 2000
                • 4.0.x

I prefer the ATI video cards, never had problems with them, and they are usually the best upgraded video cards used in Dell computers.

Here's my current workstation specs:

Dell Precision Workstation 650
                3.06GHz Pentium Xeon (dual processor upgradable), 533MHz front side bus, 512k Cache
                1GB SDRAM DDR266 ECC (2x512)
                ATI Fire GL X1 Video w/ 128MB dual
                73GB SCSI U320 15k RPM
                v.92 PCI modem
                GigaBit Ethernet card
                4x DVD +RW +R
                16x DVD w/ DVD Decode

Comment

• Xelation
                  • Jan 2002
                  • 3.0.0 Beta 5

Originally posted by filburt1
                  I love nVidia cards just because their drivers are perfect: easy to update, powerful if you want them to be, and don't even require you to download them for a specific card.

I have an ATI TV Wonder (not technically a video card but still in the multimedia envronment), and it has the most worthless POS drivers I've ever used. It requires many unintuitive steps to install them, and only now is it compatible with Windows XP fully (previously it would randomly give me garbled video).

Also the TV viewer takes up 90% CPU sometimes. 90%! What the hell! All it has to do is take video from the hardware and draw it on a video overlay. Previous versions used pretty much no CPU time. There's nothing like working in Photoshop, and while rendering a filter, seeing the TV framerate drop.
                  I have a ati tv wodner ve, Ive had no problems with it at all

Comment

• CeleronXT
                    • Mar 2002

I currently have a nVidia GeForce 4 Ti4200, but I'd rather have an ATi equivalent (whatever it is). Not because I have any problems with it, I just like ATi more. :P
                    "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
                    "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
                    Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

• Marco
                      • Nov 2000
                      • 3.8.x

nVidia for me.

It works fine for the occasional game I play... true, the newer ATI cards beat the **** out of the latest nVidias, but they're also way more expensive - not worth it for me.

Well, and ATI have a reputation for making horrible drivers...

Comment

• Chris M
                        • Apr 2002
                        • 3.6.x

ati

Satan

Comment

• CeleronXT
                          • Mar 2002

Originally posted by Marco
                          nVidia for me.

It works fine for the occasional game I play... true, the newer ATI cards beat the **** out of the latest nVidias, but they're also way more expensive - not worth it for me.

Well, and ATI have a reputation for making horrible drivers...
                          Er.. I could've sworn it was the nVidias that were both more expensive and still sucked? (I could be wrong. Too lazy to look up the prices)
                          "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
                          "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
                          Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

• tgillespie
                            • Dec 2002
                            • 3.7.x

nvidia. I ran an old ATI Rage years ago and wasn't very happy with it. Upgraded to Nvidia TNT2 and have been using Nvidia ever since. Currently on a Ti4200 128 MB DDR.

Although I wouldnt mind a 9800
                            Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                              • Jun 2002

Have been using an nVidia for quite some time and haven't had an issue. I like the fact I can reuse drivers and all their video cards mainly use the same drivers
                              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...