Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chen
    • Jun 2001

Size vs. Size on Disk?

What's the difference between these? I have a folder, which I want to burn to a CD, whose size is 500MB but size on disk is 1GB... so will I be able to burn it on a 700MB media or not?
    Chen Avinadav
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב
  • George L
    Former vBulletin Support
    • May 2000
    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Chen
    What's the difference between these? I have a folder, which I want to burn to a CD, whose size is 500MB but size on disk is 1GB... so will I be able to burn it on a 700MB media or not?
    hit your question mark and tap size on disk label and you'll see for size on disk
    Attached Files
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Chen
      • Jun 2001

So it's really 500MB? And if I run defragmentation the side on disk will decrease?
      Chen Avinadav
      Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Comment

• Kier
        Former Lead Developer, vBulletin
        • Sep 2000

Nope, the inflated number for 'size on disk' is due to the way that operating systems store files. For example, on a particular file system files may have to be stored in 32KB blocks - this would mean that a 0.5KB file would actually take 32KB on disk and a 33KB file would actually take 64KB on disk. It's not related to fragmentation - so a defrag won't change the size on disk.

Geddit?

Comment

• filburt1
          • Feb 2002

Extending on what Kier said, you can make it smaller by using FAT32/NTFS or another file system that uses a smaller cluster size. IIRC FAT32 uses 4 KB clusters and NTFS's can vary automatically.
          --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
          Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
          vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• Chen
            • Jun 2001

I already use NTFS. Anyway, thanks for the help. I burnt the whole folder and eventually it took about 550MB.
            Chen Avinadav

Comment

• Jake Bunce
              • Dec 2000
              • 3.6.x

If the folder is full of small files, you can reduce its "size on disk" for burning by zipping it. Then you get compression in addition to the smaller size overhead of one file.

Comment

• Raz Meister
                • Jun 2001

There are negative sides to this aswell, as it would increase the size of your indexes.
                Raz - KMC Forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...