X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MisterAnon
    • Jun 2003

Reporting Illegal Users

Hi, I'm wondering how I report illegal users.

I know of a site which is breaking the VB rules in two ways, first of all they don't have a licence and second of all they are breaking your policy of;

===
    The Software may not be used for anything that would represent or is associated with an Intellectual Property violation, including, but not limited to, engaging in any activity that infringes or misappropriates the intellectual property rights of others, including copyrights, trademarks, service marks, trade secrets, software piracy, and patents held by individuals, corporations, or other entities.
    ===

Well this site is a warez discussion board offering games and sites for direct downloading of warez. I'm sorry if people don't agree with me that this is wrong, but I don't see why most of you should be paying for the VB software, and then loosers like this can get away with using it for free, I think action should be taken against them. It's only right.

Thanks a lot.

Ah yes, sorry, I forgot to give the URL: [url removed]
    Last edited by Cary; Sat 14 Jun '03, 9:30am. Reason: removed URL
  • Morphious

Don't bother, it won't help.

Just to give you an idea, I had an illegal vB a while back. I emailed Jelsoft, filled out that form, and tried to contact people in other ways TURNING MYSELF IN! Yet I stayed on that vB for months because they didn't take action against me.

That is pathetic.

Comment

• Babylon
      • Feb 2002

Comment

• xCRYINGoutLOUDx

Email [email protected]

They get a huge number of submissions all the time, so it takes a while for them to go through all of them. Plus, getting the hosting company to comply and all that legal stuff isn't an open and shut kind of thing -- but it does work.

I also believe that they outsource their piracy department via nukepirates, therefore, the speed on which things get cleared up depends on how busy they are.

Comment

• MisterAnon
          • Jun 2003

Thanks a lot, I will contact them!

Comment

• Beorn
            • May 2002

Originally posted by MisterAnon
            Thanks a lot, I will contact them!
            P.S. remove the url given above before a dev does it for ya

Comment

• goyo
              • Dec 2002

Originally posted by MisterAnon
              Hi, I'm wondering how I report illegal users.

Ah yes, sorry, I forgot to give the URL: [url removed]
              Hehh...oldgamers actualy not a warez forum...

I know about 20 VB warez forums...but there's no purpose to report them...Jelsoft doesn't did anything with the ones I reported...(by the way a year ago my vbulletin was a hacked a version to because… I did not know it's a commercial script! Than I found out and bought it...but probably I could run it today without any problem...)
              Last edited by Steve Machol; Sat 14 Jun '03, 7:59am.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                Former Customer Support Manager
                • Jul 2000

Originally posted by goyo
                I know about 20 VB warez forums...but there's no purpose to report them...Jelsoft doesn't did anything with the ones I reported
                Something is ALWAYS done. Keep in mind that Jelsoft is not some all-powerful entity that can smite down illegal sites with a wave of it's mighty hand. The process requires cooperation from the web hosting companies and others as well. Some are more cooperative than others.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Morphious

Steve, if something is 'always' done, then how come nobody from Jelsoft had any problem with me running an illegal vBulletin for six months? Even after I turned myself in...three times?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    • Jul 2000

Perhaps your host refused to cooperate. It's hard to know for sure without knowing the exact details (URL, dates, etc.) As I said each one of these cases IS investigated. Why would we not do this?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Morphious

My host would have cooperated, he didn't like me. And I asked him, he said nobody contacted me. Besides if you had just asked me I would have taken it down.

And if you want dates/url's, etc, I can give that information to you in a PM.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                        • Jul 2000

Yes, please PM the info to me. I'll check this with our piracy investigators.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• ChanServ
                          • Jul 2002

I have reported several illegal vb's, and coincidently after a few days, they were either an invision or gone.

Comment

• snyx
                            • Aug 2000
                            • 3.5.x

what about suspected forums?
                            do you still look into them.
                            MSN: [email protected] | MAIL: [email protected] | FOLIO: mholman.com

Comment

• Morphious

The PM has been sent. It is now not anything you should be worried about though, just read the 'story' in the PM and you'll understand.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...