Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Leshrac
    • May 2000

Finally fed up...

Well, add me to the list of dissatisfied InfoPop customers. My upgrade license is coming up for renewal, and the 300% increase in what it was going to cost me was quite shocking. I'll also agree the pricing for OT is absurd, and would drive my quite popular site (which is finally doing well financially) into bankruptcy. Add to that the childish antics of their administrators and moderators, and you have one fed-up webmaster. The final straw was when they resorted to adding "vbulletin" to their censor list, and started editing the posts of anyone that dare mention alternatives to the UBB. Only a company that is afraid of their competition would resort to such behavior, and that seems to be the case. InfoPop has seemed to have forgotten that the customers keep the company going and inspire new features are the ones who are the most vocal, the ones that they have chosen to silence. The "if you don't like it, leave" attitude they seem to have adopted is a very poor one, as they only reason a person doesn't do just that is because they are concerned about the company's future.

In short, I feel that I can no longer recommend InfoPop as a company anyone should have the displeasure of doing business with. For small sites where a Perl based script is appropriate, the UBB is simply to expensive, for larger sites, it's just to clumsy (do to poor coding) and slow (do to the nature of it's flat-file text databases). OpenTopic is really only for those who are willing to put up with InfoPop's banners (or companies with large amounts of money to throw away) and a lack of true access to their BB's data and code.

It seems it's time to start learning PHP and port my site over. Hopefully I'll be able to use my coding skills to benefit this community as I have the UBB's in the past.
  • Martin
    • Apr 2000
    • 3.5.x

Leshrac,
    I certainly know where you're coming from. I don't mention vB by name over there and I only voiced concerns that others have and I am told by the admins that all my posts are to them are distractions.

I'm definitely glad to see a code-hacker as skilled as yourself coming here. It can only mean good things for us.

Welcome aboard.
    Webmaster:
    @forumz

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
      Former vBulletin Developer
      • Apr 2000
      • 3.6.x

LOL!

I figured you'd come over to the dark side before your UBB license was up.

..Actually, shouldn't I be saying come over from the dark side?

Comment

• Alwaysmefirst
        • Apr 2000
        • 3.8.x

Leshrac,

It is VERY nice to see you here
        I am buying this weekend Vbulletin.

Olly
        Proud to be removed from UBB forum for complaining about their new renewal license rate

Comment

• chica
          • May 2000

You need to be a little more clearer Alwaysmefirst ...according to your message history at UBB thats not why you were banned. You repeatedly violated their posting policies. Complaining about pricing was not one of them. At least be truthful about it... geez.

By the way, I love Vbulletin! Keep up the good work guys

Comment

• Alwaysmefirst
            • Apr 2000
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by chica
            You need to be a little more clearer Alwaysmefirst ...according to your message history at UBB thats not why you were banned. You repeatedly violated their posting policies. Complaining about pricing was not one of them. At least be truthful about it... geez.

By the way, I love Vbulletin! Keep up the good work guys
            You will see no posts from me there where I violated their posting policies according to my message history: I never put a link to Vbulletin even if the administrator Bharris wrote I did. They never wrote me a warning either. I think there are several posters who can tell you about it. Geez, be truthful about it...
            And for your information, if you check well some posts, it is obvious they altered the content of some posters and I am not the only one who was unregistered (lockman etc).

Olly

Comment

• chica
              • May 2000

I'm a lurker on those boards... have been for some time. I was appalled by the actions of alot of users. COMPLETELY uncalled for.

You were warned by the administrators repeatedly to post relevant and constuctive topics, not inflammatory ones. Case in point.... http://www.scriptkeeper.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/004038.html

By the way, you didn't put in a link, and Bharris never said you did. You posted the name a number of times.

If those warnings were not aimed directly at you, they were aimed at everyone posting messages just to excite and anger. Yet you (and many others, let me add) continued. Frankly, you gave this board (vbulletin) a bad name by doing so.

And to imply that Infopop altered posts so that they could ban some of their own messages is ludicrous. They simply edited out or removed posts. I'm sure given the activity over there that they have much more important things to do then set up their own users to be banned.

To be honest, I don't give a damn what you do. But it irks to see a decent service (I decided against them for issues other than the ones in the last few days) ripped apart by people who 1) don't have a lick of sense and 2) those who have too much time on their hands to do anything constructive.

*getting a headache from it all*

Comment

• Alwaysmefirst
                • Apr 2000
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by chica
                I'm a lurker on those boards... have been for some time. I was appalled by the actions of alot of users. COMPLETELY uncalled for.

You were warned by the administrators repeatedly to post relevant and constuctive topics, not inflammatory ones. Case in point.... http://www.scriptkeeper.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/004038.html

By the way, you didn't put in a link, and Bharris never said you did. You posted the name a number of times.

If those warnings were not aimed directly at you, they were aimed at everyone posting messages just to excite and anger. Yet you (and many others, let me add) continued. Frankly, you gave this board (vbulletin) a bad name by doing so.

And to imply that Infopop altered posts so that they could ban some of their own messages is ludicrous. They simply edited out or removed posts. I'm sure given the activity over there that they have much more important things to do then set up their own users to be banned.

To be honest, I don't give a damn what you do. But it irks to see a decent service (I decided against them for issues other than the ones in the last few days) ripped apart by people who 1) don't have a lick of sense and 2) those who have too much time on their hands to do anything constructive.

*getting a headache from it all*
                Just do a search for Alwaysmefirst at http://www.scriptkeeper.com/cgi-bin/...ntro&default=2 and please tell me where I posted the name of this board there a "number of times" to borrow you. The reason I was unregistered is because I posted a message "Petition to ask UBB to reduce the renewal license rate" on a forum called UBB suggestions/Feedback.
                If you are a lurker on the UBB board you could have noticed I supported UBB until they tripled the renewal license rate...not because I can't pay it (plus I got my UBB in March, so I didn't complain because I couldn't wait until next summer to get the version 6 - I can get updates til March 2001), but just for the principle we should not accept to pay for something that hasn't changed. Things could have been different if they increased the rates AFTER a major update but it wasn't the case. As a customer, I have the right to complain about the product I bought, especially when the forum is titled "UBB suggestions/Feedback"...Anyway, I say good bye to UBB and tomorrow I will buy Vbulletin to test it fully

Comment

• OnFire
                  • May 2000

Alwaysmefirst, you are a complete troublemaker over at the UBB forums. I am an active poster over there (also like this product) and I am appalled that you were allowed to get away the kind of childish banter that you were. I don't know how old you are, but you need to seriously take a look in the mirror and grow up. vBulletin looks like an excellent product despite looking identical to the UBB. I can't believe any of you think you are a doing a bit of good for vB by raising hell at the InfoPop boards. You sound like a whiny brat, not someone interesting make useful and constructive comments. InfoPop has EVERY right to delete anything they choose. I hope that the developers of this script read this forum, because I think they'd be very interested in your actions. You certainly haven't helped their product in the least, if anything, you have probably scared off potential customers.

Comment

• werehere
                    • Apr 2000

On Fire,

I am not sure of Alwaysmefirst actions, and I am not agreeing with, or disagreeing with anything at the scriptkeeper forums, but do you think coming over here and stating that in such a harsh manner is any better?
                    We're Here Forums!
                    [email protected]

Comment

• wandrer
                      • Apr 2000

vBulletin looks like an excellent product despite looking identical to the UBB
                      That is the neat thing about vbulletin it can look anyway you want it to. All the UBB forums look alike. With templates and vbulletin, you could design your forums to be exactly like your website. Don't like the way it is designed, move them around to do it the way you want it. Put the forum jump box up top, down low, or remove it all together. Want the register button a different place, fine!, move it there. It is all done with templates.

Try to do that with UBB and you might as well wait for the 8.0 release

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...