Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kier
    Former Lead Developer, vBulletin
    • Sep 2000

I have been running XP Pro on my 2.4GHz P4b with a gig of RAM for over a year now without a single operating system crash... I didn't get that kind of reliability even when I was running Win2k.

That said, both my colleagues were running XP Pro on Athlon machines and it was a pig. They have both switched back to Win2k now and have had no further problems.

Comment

• CeleronXT
      • Mar 2002

How can you have not shut down for a year? That's madness. :O

You've never had a power outage? Never had.. updates that required restarts? Install that required restarts? DirectX9?
      "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
      "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
      Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

• Kier
        Former Lead Developer, vBulletin
        • Sep 2000

Of course I've restarted during that time... but I have never had XP crash on me (not since I switched back to Intel anyway).

Comment

• CeleronXT
          • Mar 2002

Hmm, ok, well not you, but how about...

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          Hmmmm.. My wife's computer has been running XP for over a year now and hasn't even been turned off in that time.
          "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
          "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Comment

• Valkyre
            • Jun 2001

Originally posted by CeleronXT
            No it wasn't...The processor seems ok, but the RAM needs help, especially if that's SDRAM.
            Yes it was.
            Need a job done? Get in contact with me and we'll see what we can work out.

Comment

• CeleronXT
              • Mar 2002

No it wasn't.

Comment

• Valkyre
                • Jun 2001

Yes it was.

Comment

• CeleronXT
                  • Mar 2002

No it wasn't.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                    • Aug 2000

Hmm, ok, well not you, but how about...
                    Yeah, my wife doesn't listen to what I say and doesn't install updates. Nor has she installed any software that requires rebooting. The majority of what she does on the computer is use Browse the Web, MS-Word, check email, play Mushes and occasionally run Paint Shop Pro to touch up a picture off the digital camera. And those are not necessarily listed in order of importance.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• IDN
                      • Apr 2002
                      • 3.5.x

I'm using 2.1Ghz with a GB of ram..

I'm starting to guess hardware problem
                      Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

• Valkyre
                        • Jun 2001

No it wasn't.
                        /me slaps you.

Comment

• Skeptical
                          • Oct 2000

Originally posted by Valkyre
                          /me slaps you.
                          Ok we got Moe and Larry. Where's Curley?
                          Well, there it is.
                          - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

• CeleronXT
                            • Mar 2002

Originally posted by Valkyre
                            /me slaps you.
                            Oww, that hurt.

/me slaps you around with a large trout.

Comment

• Boofo
                              • Apr 2002
                              • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Kier
                              I have been running XP Pro on my 2.4GHz P4b with a gig of RAM for over a year now without a single operating system crash... I didn't get that kind of reliability even when I was running Win2k.

That said, both my colleagues were running XP Pro on Athlon machines and it was a pig. They have both switched back to Win2k now and have had no further problems.
                              I noticed the same thing here. I am running a 2.8 GHZ Pentium 4 (overclocked to 3.15) with 1.5 GB DDR-333 Ram and the only problems I have had with Windows XP professional is the occasional glitch because of installing and un-installing a lot of software (mostly for testing purposes). It's been running like clockwork for over 6 months now but I am going to do a fresh install one of these days soon to clear out all of the garbage that un-installing programs leaves behind. XP seems to be a lot more forgiving than 98 or Win2k ever was. I would almost gaurantee that if someone is having as much trouble with XP as IDN is having, replacing the hard drive will probably fix it.
                              vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

vBulletin.org's ol' Moderator

I have a lifetime terrorist hunting permit - #091101

chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

Comment

• NetherChris
                                • Jun 2001

Now it's time for my rant.

IDN... you run a tech form.. you should know this. It's not MS's job to fix your computer's problems. Never was, shouldn't be now. You've yet to provide a single shred of proof that the OS is the cause of your problems (and reformatting is not proof of this) and not to mention the fact that you've called MS on a product you didn't even buy retail (you probably got an OEM anyways, which entitles you to basically ZERO support).

If you want something to work without questions, go get a Dell. Or a Gateway. Or some other ready built PC. When you piece things together youself, you should walk into it EXPECTING problems. It's not going to be a good experience a large percent of the time. People at PC companies spend weeks and months picking out hardware compatibilities for their systems and testing them. Read reviews, research, then buy... otherwise realize that most likely you backed yourself into your own corner by walking into a PC uneducated.

And that's exactly what that rant was. Uneducated.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...