X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IDN
    • Apr 2002
    • 3.5.x

Windows XP Hate rant..

I'm really starting to hate Windows XP now, i had to format to solve some problems now they are coming back again

I formated on April 11th, now looks like i will have to format again

1) A few of my "Typed URLS" Won't go away now, this happened before, spent hours on the phone with Microsoft Tech, and the only way to resolve this was to create a new account, since they proved my user account was corrupted, now it happened again..

2) My CD-RW stooped burning, spent hours on the phone with nero and lite-on tech support, never found out the problems, only way to fix is to format.

3) Had problems with norton anti virus, never ever had problems with it before on XP or 2k, not i can't reinstall it. Only way to fix that i guess is to format, since i tried everything else.

This is just really starting to piss me off, what will i have to do? Format XP every few weeks just to keep it runing? I like how XP works, but not all the problems it is causing. This isn't even worth the $30 i paid for Xp Pro (Got it from my friend that works at microsoft) I wouldn't even pay $10 for this abuse i am getting.

This just upsets me, i can't do anything on my computer without it messing up, these problems keep coming back even AFTER i format, what is the problem?
    Running vB since 4-14-2002
  • CeleronXT
    • Mar 2002

Since everything sounds like it keeps getting corrupted, have you thought about the possibility you could be using a bad drive?

What's your file system?

.. can you get me that sweet of a deal on XP pro?
    "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
    "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
    Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Hmmmm.. My wife's computer has been running XP for over a year now and hasn't even been turned off in that time.

My computer has been running since the 15th of April of this year (the day I finished putting it together) and it has been running Windows XP with the only restarts being after installing everything from Windows Update.

By the way, I have A LiteOn CD-RW with Nero software, Norton System Works with Anti-virus and haven't had the problems you have... Are all your drivers digitally signed?
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• IDN
        • Apr 2002
        • 3.5.x

Not sure if they are signed, i am too busy to get into details, i'm off to bed

Comment

• InSite
          • Aug 2002

IDN - why do you use this site as your personal blog?

Comment

• Andrew-ningc
            • Jan 2003

Been to a few sites you don't want anyone else to find out about ay?

The solution #1 is in IE to goto Tools and Select Internet Options. In Internet options, click on Clear History. Will also remove all things you entered into the run prompt.

Before you complain that you tried that and it didn't work, it is the solution.

You seems to spend to much time on help lines, the internet is massive, their are forums that will have all this answer, the greatest help line you ever need is Google!

I am sure with all the phone calls your XP has costed a lot more. Thank yourself lucky for getting cheaply, most people have had to spend the full price.

Comment

• N9ne
              • Mar 2002
              • 3.5.0 Beta

I have Norton AntiVirus, WinXP Home, CD-RW has worked perfectly forever, and I can delete my history and typed urls go away, make sure you also delete recent files etc. as they are in there sometimes, and take autocomplete off if that's bothering you. I've had WinXP for about 18 months now, on the same computer, and it is working perfectly.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by IDN
                Not sure if they are signed, i am too busy to get into details, i'm off to bed
                Don't you keep track of the software you install? That right there is probably your biggest problem if you don't.

You cannot install unsigned drivers without user intervention. Maybe if you took more care of your equipment and what you did with it, you wouldn't have as many problems.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Cybernetic
                  • Jun 2002

i have XP pro and think its the greatest thing in the world.

get XP pro and download allllllllllllllll the updates.. hopefully you have broadband. OR get XP SP1 then download those updates. that will save you alot. i had a FEW very minor problems for a while then i started letting the computer update itself piece by piece and it runs flawlessly. i think it rules.

also, how old is your computer ? do you have it properly ventilated ? sometimes when t hey heat up they get goofy and also if its starting to wear out they will do alot of that crap.

Comment

• IDN
                    • Apr 2002
                    • 3.5.x

Yes, i have tried deleting the files via tools > net options. I didn't want this to be a tech support thread, more of it just a rant.

I already have people working with me at a tech support forum. When the cd-rom went wacky, i just got back from work after downloading the suse live eval, i didn't do anything that day. And i only download software built for windows xp.

I don't know what is going on, and about the xp phone calls, i live less then 10 miles away from Microsoft's main headquarters, so the phone bill is nothing.

Comment

• Valkyre
                      • Jun 2001

While I choose XP over all previous Windows operating systems, I still don't think too highly of it, mainly because it was a rush job to try and compete with OS X.
                      Need a job done? Get in contact with me and we'll see what we can work out.

Comment

• Radgam
                        • Jan 2003

I've had the IE problem that you mentioned before and i don't know what the cause is. It was on Win98 though and i think i eventually just deleted everything IE related in dos (all the history/temp internet folders) as they are recreated by IE anyway.

I use Norton and do have a problem where is randomly pops up with "Cannot Read subscription data, you may need to be an admin". Tried what they said on the site and it doesn't help. i think symantec have gone down hill these last few years in all honesty.

Dunno about the CDR one

Comment

• Game Wizards
                          • Jan 2003

What processor and RAM are XP pro users using? I was using 128mb and 900MHz AMD Athlon and it was CRAP!!

Comment

• CeleronXT
                            • Mar 2002

Originally posted by Valkyre
                            While I choose XP over all previous Windows operating systems, I still don't think too highly of it, mainly because it was a rush job to try and compete with OS X.
                            No it wasn't...
                            Originally posted by Game Wizards
                            What processor and RAM are XP pro users using? I was using 128mb and 900MHz AMD Athlon and it was CRAP!!
                            The processor seems ok, but the RAM needs help, especially if that's SDRAM.
                            "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
                            "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
                            Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Game Wizards
                              Even Microsoft recommends 256 MB RAM for XP Pro.

Personally, I use an AMD Athlon 1700XP+ (in all three of my machines) and 2 machines have 256 MB PC-133 RAM and my personal machine has 512 MB DDR 333 RAM. I am thinking of upgrading my machine to an Athlon 2500 or the 3000 on the Barton core though. I would take my memory up to 1 gig at the same time though.

Like all Windows versions, XP will suck up as much RAM as you get it as opposed to running things from the swap file. Since you can get 256 MB DDR RAM for about $35.00 (US), adding RAM is one of the cheapest boosts to any computer these days.

Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...