Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beramode
    • Apr 2002

laptops: internet?

All I want is a laptop size computer that can access the internet. ONLY. Don't want any extra than that.

Anyone know if there available?
  • Chen
    • Jun 2001

All half-decent laptops should have some kind of an interface for connecting to the internet... throw a rock and you will hit one.

Unless you want to connect wireless-ly?
    Chen Avinadav
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

Comment

• IDN
      • Apr 2002
      • 3.5.x

I've seen them. They are machines that only connect to the net, basicly a monitor and keyboard with a plug in it, no hard drive, ect..

Don't know where to get one though.
      Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

• N9ne
        • Mar 2002
        • 3.5.0 Beta

Originally posted by IDN
        I've seen them. They are machines that only connect to the net, basicly a monitor and keyboard with a plug in it, no hard drive, ect..

Don't know where to get one though.
        No hard drive?

Comment

• IDN
          • Apr 2002
          • 3.5.x

Duh, only connects to the net..

Comment

• TripleH
            • Jul 2001
            • 3.0.0 Beta 7

wouldn't it still need a hard drive though? To store the temp files or internet explorer or something?

Comment

• IDN
              • Apr 2002
              • 3.5.x

Nope, probably just uses ram to store the data..

Comment

• Beramode
                • Apr 2002

Thats what I want. No hard drive **** or anything like that.

Comment

• UHN_ED
                  • Jan 2003

Well if you were to get something that IDN is talking about, then you would still have to be in your house.

If you are going to stay in your house, why dont you get a wireless monitor? They will use your current computer, and then fit into a stand to use in front of the computer.

Comment

• beatbox
                    • Jun 2001

You are thinking of a thin-client.

No idea if a "thin-client laptop" exists though.

Comment

• N9ne
                      • Mar 2002
                      • 3.5.0 Beta

Originally posted by IDN
                      Duh, only connects to the net..
                      Duh, I'm sorry, but all the computers i've seen in my life have needed a hard drive to access the internet. It just seemed odd to me accessing the internet without any storage media.

Comment

• Beramode
                        • Apr 2002

I need it to be mobile. I need it for when I'm traveling, but I dont want the PC stuff like word etc. All I want is a laptop that only connects to the internet... In a mobile way..

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                          • Aug 2000

AOLTV and MSNTV do not have Hard Drives. There also used to be a company called Netpliance that created the I-Opener for Internet Access that didn't have a hard drive. Finally the Dreamcast game system by Sega didn't have a harddrive. Very few cellphones and PDA's have harddrives. I can access the Internet in a limited fashion using both my Gamecube and Playstation 2 and neither of them have harddrives. In short many devices can access the Internet without a hard drive.

These devices might help in your quest:

As suggested before you might look into a Smart Display for your current PC which will allow you to roam around your house while the desktop is safely tucked away. They are quite expensive. Another option is the Tablet PC from various vendors, however again they are quite expensive.
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Beramode
                            I need it to be mobile. I need it for when I'm traveling, but I dont want the PC stuff like word etc. All I want is a laptop that only connects to the internet... In a mobile way..
                            If that is the case, you should look for a Bluetooth enabled PDA with a decent screen. It will be the least inexpensive way to get what you need.

If you are in the U.S. you can get a decent Laptop from someplace like www.pcclub.com. They have one that starts for less than $900.00 with decent specs. Still has a hard drive but it is a decent machine.
                            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• UHN_ED
                              • Jan 2003

How about the Tungsten W? It is not the best PDA, but it is always connected to the internet and does not require a connection, wireless or other, to a computer like all hte other options presented.

If you need something more then that, then I would go for a cheap laptop and connect it to the internet via a cell phone while you are away or a wireless, or traditional ethernet when required, network.

If you want it to be able to connect to the net no matter where you are, the only viable way is via a cell phone. Other options, such as a wireless card will require you to be near a network.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...