Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mas*Mind
    • Jun 2000

The solution to anti-piracy?

Ok, I'm gonna post this suggestion here, since for some reason I can't post in the vb3 suggestion forum anymore since the upgrade...

But I've been thinking on the anti-piracy issue for a while and think I've found a solution which will work 100%!
    • First every vbulletin version a user downloads from the members-area will contain the license-number of his license. Either in the code itself, it will be saved in the database or in a separate file, it doesn't matter as long as it is somewhere.
    • In the forum-footer there will be a link (next to the jelsoft copyright for example) which will say: 'check if licensed'
    • when you click on this link the license-number and the domain where the forum is hosted will be send to a form on vbulletin.com.

(maybe just the showing of the license-nr is better, since with a link pirates can change the link to another one and pretend it's a link to vbulletin if the user doesn't notice it. In that case the piracy-checker just copies the license-nr, the forum-link and the domain and fills it in the form)
    • this form will check the jelsoft-database on the license-nr/domain combination and can decide of this is a valid combination (ie: if the license is allowed to use this license for that domain).
    • If it isn't: a piracy report will be send to the jelsoft-staff: these can take appropiate actions
    • if it is: nothing will be done, the license is valid

So why is this waterproof? You can remove the license-code or change it right?

True, but:
    • If you remove the license-code you violate the agreement/license (assuming the agreements will be changed on this matter)
    • If you change the license-code the code will not match the domain

So either way: a piracy-checker can see if it's a valid license or not!

Ofcourse this isn't a routine which automaticly will detect every pirated version, but it enables everyone to check the validity of that board/license. As long as I've not overlooked one flaw I think this is a 100% solid way of checking if a board is pirated...
  • LeeCHeSSS
    • Jan 2002

You can spoof the referrer variable...

Comment

• Mas*Mind
      • Jun 2000

why? all the user has to do is copy the link in the browser? and that can't be spoofed

That's what I mean that it's better to let it be done manually (ie: copying the license-nr and the url by hand) rather that letting it be done by a clickable link, since the pirater can modify the link to point it to a clone of the form on another domain or indeed spoof the referral variable.

To make things clear: this is not meant as an automated process, it still has to be done manually.

Comment

• filburt1
        • Feb 2002

This is already how the system works, mostly.
        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• Mas*Mind
          • Jun 2000

hm....where can I copy the license nr and fill it in in a form on the jelsoft server to check the license/domain combination?

There only is a form where you can enter a url afak

Comment

• Icheb
            • Nov 2002

There is no such thing, you can only report the URL of the suspected forum.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
              • Jun 2002

Mas, gotta remember this is a visible source coding so people can make whatever changes they need to. That includes terminating all your anti-piracy tricks
              Last edited by ManagerJosh; Thu 17 Apr '03, 3:59pm.
              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Icheb
                • Nov 2002

No, it's visible source, not open source. I bet James gets a heart attack every time he reads vB is open source.

Comment

• Skeptical
                  • Oct 2000

Why are people so interested in becoming the internet police? Mind your own business already. I paid for my license. The last thing I need is some nosy people clicking on links on my site for no other reason than to kiss up to some other company.
                  Well, there it is.
                  - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

• MUG
                    • Apr 2002

Originally posted by Skeptical
                    Why are people so interested in becoming the internet police? Mind your own business already. I paid for my license. The last thing I need is some nosy people clicking on links on my site for no other reason than to kiss up to some other company.
                    Agreed. Nobody other than Jelsoft should have access to my license information.

Comment

• bigmattyh
                      • Apr 2001

Originally posted by Skeptical
                      It isn't all about "kissing up" (although it sure is for more than a few people around here)...

I personally want strong piracy protection for the simple reason that the more they can keep piracy under control, the more valuable my license is. If everyone can get a pirated copy, then why buy a license? I've already bought a license, so it's in my best interests to keep that license valuable.

Also, if there's no incentive to buy a pirated copy (other than your own self-imposed moral sense -- don't get me wrong, that's the best reason), Jelsoft would likely have fewer sales. And with fewer sales but a constant or growing company, either costs (including developer/moderator pay) have to be cut or prices must be raised. Since one of vBulletin's strongest selling points is its service, it is unlikely that they'd cut their employees' pay. Thus, it would be likely that prices would increase, and thus, I also have another personal reason to keep piracy down.
                      iComix :: web comics

Report Post | IP: Logged

Comment

• Floris
                        • Dec 2001

maybe just the showing of the license-nr is better

Yeah, that will stop piracy

If nukepirates contact me that the domain doesn't match, I will just reply - we are currently moving to a new server and didn't update the domain yet - .

Comment

• Icheb
                          • Nov 2002

Originally posted by xiphoid
                          [/i]

Yeah, that will stop piracy

If nukepirates contact me that the domain doesn't match, I will just reply - we are currently moving to a new server and didn't update the domain yet - .
                          And that will of course hold them off forever .

Comment

• LeeCHeSSS
                            • Jan 2002

Originally posted by Icheb
                            And that will of course hold them off forever .
                            Well, there's enough servers on the web to keep moving all year long

Comment

• Skeptical
                              • Oct 2000

Originally posted by bigmattyh
                              It isn't all about "kissing up" (although it sure is for more than a few people around here)...

I personally want strong piracy protection for the simple reason that the more they can keep piracy under control, the more valuable my license is. If everyone can get a pirated copy, then why buy a license? I've already bought a license, so it's in my best interests to keep that license valuable.

Also, if there's no incentive to buy a pirated copy (other than your own self-imposed moral sense -- don't get me wrong, that's the best reason), Jelsoft would likely have fewer sales. And with fewer sales but a constant or growing company, either costs (including developer/moderator pay) have to be cut or prices must be raised. Since one of vBulletin's strongest selling points is its service, it is unlikely that they'd cut their employees' pay. Thus, it would be likely that prices would increase, and thus, I also have another personal reason to keep piracy down.
                              I agree.

But shouldn't this be the concern of Jelsoft rather than us customers? I mean if I happen to come by a board that's obviously in violation I'd report it. But to actively propose methods that intrude into my privacy... that I cannot support.

Or maybe it's ok for Microsoft to have a BIG button on every W2k's desktop that says "check to see if license is valid".

No thanks.
                              Well, there it is.
                              - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...