Which browser(s) do you use?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stanmxl
    • Mar 2003

Internet Explorer 6 on Windows (It is what is most highly optimized for content out there seeing it is the most popular browser).

Mozilla for Linux with a GUI.

Lynx for text mode Linux.

Comment

• MasterMac
      • Sep 2002

Well technically, it's just the most used since IE is the browser by default on most computers, most people (aka the non-techies) use IE because they A) don't know there are other browsers, or B) don't want to spend any time looking into them and/or trying them out or C) some other varient, not because they prefer IE to other browsers :P

One example I can think of that happened with me personally was with a teacher at my old school - he used to think IE was the only browser out there (besides netscape), but once I showed him phoenix, he converted instantly, and he wasn't "computer-literate" either

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by grace819
        Wayne, I appreciate your efforts for keeping everyone up to date but it would be a good idea do a bit of research before making any claims or rumors that can prove damaging for a good company like Opera. Here's a link I got that refutes your claims about Opera and I hope you'll be more responsible in your future posts...

Any software that gives me targetted ads based on my browsing habits is Spyware in my opinion. It is my opinion alone and I didn't have to look at anyone else's opinion to make it. I stand by my opinion and will never allow any software from Opera on any computer that I own. And I will voice strong objections to it being installed on any of the computers of friend and family that I provide technical assistance to.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• grace819
          • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          Any software that gives me targetted ads based on my browsing habits is Spyware in my opinion. It is my opinion alone and I didn't have to look at anyone else's opinion to make it. I stand by my opinion and will never allow any software from Opera on any computer that I own. And I will voice strong objections to it being installed on any of the computers of friend and family that I provide technical assistance to.
          Its too bad you feel that way. Opera IMHO is a GREAT browser and waaaay much better than whats currently offered out there. Then again, I'm sure MS will copy -- er *ahem* I mean 'innovate' their next Explorer browser to incorporate what Opera has developed.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

Its too bad you feel that way. Opera IMHO is a GREAT browser and waaaay much better than whats currently offered out there. Then again, I'm sure MS will copy -- er *ahem* I mean 'innovate' their next Explorer browser to incorporate what Opera has developed.
            Even before they added advertising, I always hated Opera... It has too many acknowledge problems with their "standard's compliance" including limiting users to an older version of Javascript which limits what one can do with DOM standards compliance.

If you like it fine, use it. That is what choice is all about. I however consider it garbage and won't use it. I would rather use Netscape 4.XX first.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Floris
              • Dec 2001

I always kept my eyes open for Opera, since it sounds so promising. But .. the ads and just not displaying pages proper, in each version, time after time, made it indeed even worse then netscape is now.

Netscape put me off, for just those same reasons. Screen names and I dunno what extra is required/ or not/ or just gets in your face from time to time, and altering something is horrid job. And since it uses the same (yet older) engine as mozilla, Why not just clean, simple, easy, compliant mozilla? Right.

5th place: opera
              4th place: netscape

Internet explorer accepts too many errors in display and not compliant = so it always looks like the dev wants, even if it shouldn't. lol

Mozilla is just teh browser.

But .. since they both have as much advantages as disadvantages, I use them both, and give them both shared place. for 1 and 2.

Position 3? anything but netscape or opera.

Comment

• Vile
                • Jul 2002
                • 3.6.x

Its too bad you feel that way. Opera IMHO is a GREAT Then again, I'm sure MS will copy -- er *ahem* I mean 'innovate' their next Explorer browser to incorporate what Opera has developed.
                Please do elaborate for us.
                MS....Copy? I get the "incorporating" part but what are you reffering to when you say copying? Lol are you reffering to how Microsoft "copied" Apples OS? If not, then please explain, but if so...*ahem* Apple stole it from Xerox, so lets not forget that.

I however consider it garbage and won't use it. I would rather use Netscape 4.XX first.
                Yeah, I agree, it's a POS browser. It was all hyped up and "cool" in the past when it first came out, becuase they claimed it was "small enough to put on a floppy" but since there is no real need for that, I'd rahter not limit myself to a crappy browser.
                Last edited by Vile; Mon 31 Mar '03, 12:13pm.
                Webmaster / Administrator
                www.MegaGames.com
                www.MGForums.com

Comment

• MUG
                  • Apr 2002

Originally posted by Vile
                  Apple stole it from Xerox, so lets not forget that.
                  No. Apple paid for the idea with several million dollars worth of stock.

Comment

• Russell
                    • Aug 2001

Not only is it limited to Mac OS... But it is OS X. Which leaves millions of iMacs out of the Safari business. And that isn't even mentioning the older computers out there.
                    Doesn't make it any worse a browser...
                    RussellGreenwood
                    http://forums.buffydownunder.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Russell
                      Doesn't make it any worse a browser...
                      You are right... Limiting a browser to a particular operating system doesn't make it a bad browser.

However, the initial investment to run Safari would be pretty significant for many people.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• msimplay
                        • Feb 2003
                        • 3.6.x

ermm dunno
                        what is the benefit of me moving over to another browser if it can't display things properly , speed is fine, and xhtml or w3c
                        but really only developers care about that
                        what the average person wants is the ability to see web content the way its intended ie, Shadow and glow text affects dont work on
                        Mozilla, It would be ok to say they not proper html or whatever,
                        but theres a major problem cuz when forums have these affects, members grow accustomed to them, and if they try using another browser they think its a bug lol,
                        So really theres little incentive to even try anything else
                        rugs|cheap rugs|modern rugs|shaggy rugs|traditional rugs

Comment

• twizzlers
                          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by TripleH
                          lol
                          I think I know you from court tv??? Do I?

Comment

• Russell
                            • Aug 2001

However, the initial investment to run Safari would be pretty significant for many people.
                            Can you run IE6.0 on Windows 95?

Originally posted by msimplay
                            ermm dunno
                            what is the benefit of me moving over to another browser if it can't display things properly , speed is fine, and xhtml or w3c
                            but really only developers care about that
                            what the average person wants is the ability to see web content the way its intended ie, Shadow and glow text affects dont work on
                            Mozilla, It would be ok to say they not proper html or whatever,
                            but theres a major problem cuz when forums have these affects, members grow accustomed to them, and if they try using another browser they think its a bug lol,
                            So really theres little incentive to even try anything else
                            It would be more than OK to say they aren't proper.. they're just garbage
                            RussellGreenwood

Comment

• Lacrosse Boy
                              • Jan 2003

In case you are confused, I tried to post a poll, and after I had all the options set, it wouldn't allow me to post the poll, so I guess it became a thread.
                              | DiscBurn | CD & DVD Replication services, film and VHS to DVD, and duplication equipment
                              |
                              Disc On Demand | Short-run CD & DVD duplication... all online.

Comment

• Russell
                                • Aug 2001

Hate to bring back this thread - but... Safari Beta 2 is out... so Tabbed browsing and faster than ever... ooh baby, yeah.
                                RussellGreenwood

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...