X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nuno
    • Apr 2001
    • 3.8.x

Nibiru

Have you ever heard of this "planet" before?
    You're my Prince of Peace
    And I will live my life for You
  • filburt1
    • Feb 2002

I've heard of the theory before and there's decent evidence worthing more study.

(side note: Pluto isn't really considered a planet )
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• IDN
      • Apr 2002
      • 3.5.x

Originally posted by filburt1
      I've heard of the theory before and there's decent evidence worthing more study.

(side note: Pluto isn't really considered a planet )
      Yeah, a satellite. So there has to be another planet to have nine planets!
      Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

• DirectPixel
        • Jan 2002
        • 3.5.x

The call the Sun a planet. They call the moon a planet. There's enough scientific ignorance right there to disqualify anything they claim.
        :)

Comment

• nuno
          • Apr 2001
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by DirectPixel

The call the Sun a planet. They call the moon a planet. There's enough scientific ignorance right there to disqualify anything they claim.
          Christ, that was 3500 BC, I find remarkable that Sumerians knew about 10 or 12 planets, Pluto was only discovered in 1930, and it's satellite, Charon, in 1978, they already knew about that 5000 years ago, and you call'em ignorant?

Comment

• DirectPixel
            • Jan 2002
            • 3.5.x

They're basing their "scientific discoveries" not on facts, but on religion.

There's not a single mention of any type of scientific method -- all they have are biblical quotes and allusions.

Comment

• bigmattyh
              • Apr 2001

Yep. I heard about this way back in high school on a rerun of In Search Of (with Leonard Nimoy... kickin' out the jams).

I always thought it was pretty interesting. One of the more intriguing bits of "evidence" supporting the claim was that the planet returns every 3600 years or so -- and coincidentally, every 3600 years on earth, there's a major advancement in technology. The last one was supposedly in 200 BC.

The rest of the evidence is Sumerian wall drawings that show -- whoa -- twelve planets, and Biblical references to the Nefilim.

Now call me crazy, but it's generally scientists who discover planets, and when they do, they can show the evidence through, say, a telescope. If the so-called "twelfth" planet is out there, why has not one astronomer found it? At some point, of course, if you're one of these guys who believes in this mystical heavenly body, you'll have to believe that there's a government conspiracy to cover it up, because that's the only way to explain the lack of hard evidence.

It's a modern form of religion. It makes for a fun story, but don't get too invested in the concept if they can't back it up.
              iComix :: web comics

Report Post | IP: Logged

Comment

• nuno
                • Apr 2001
                • 3.8.x

They're basing their "scientific discoveries" not on facts, but on religion.

There's not a single mention of any type of scientific method -- all they have are biblical quotes and allusions.
                It's proven by science that there's something that disturbs the orbit of the outer planets of our solar system, and science is yet to find out what exactly causes it, one such object might be a massive unknown planet or a dark star......
                That's scientifically speaking of course.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                  • Aug 2000

The ignorant science you are talking about is from 6,000 years ago. Not very ignorant when you realize they knew about Neptune, Uranus and Pluto which were discovered in the last 200 years by modern science.

Ignorance is not looking at the whole article and reading context into it that doesn't exist.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• DirectPixel
                    • Jan 2002
                    • 3.5.x

Or it may be that they forgot to carry the 1.

Comment

• DirectPixel
                      • Jan 2002
                      • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                      The ignorant science you are talking about is from 6,000 years ago. Not very ignorant when you realize they knew about Neptune, Uranus and Pluto which were discovered in the last 200 years by modern science.

Ignorance is not looking at the whole article and reading context into it that doesn't exist.
                      So you believe I am ignorant? Of course I am. I do not study astronomy, and my life does not depend on me studying the stars every night. So yes, I am ignorant in that field.

Comment

• nuno
                        • Apr 2001
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by bigmattyh
                        Yep. I heard about this way back in high school on a rerun of In Search Of (with Leonard Nimoy... kickin' out the jams).

I always thought it was pretty interesting. One of the more intriguing bits of "evidence" supporting the claim was that the planet returns every 3600 years or so -- and coincidentally, every 3600 years on earth, there's a major advancement in technology. The last one was supposedly in 200 BC.

The rest of the evidence is Sumerian wall drawings that show -- whoa -- twelve planets, and Biblical references to the Nefilim.

Now call me crazy, but it's generally scientists who discover planets, and when they do, they can show the evidence through, say, a telescope. If the so-called "twelfth" planet is out there, why has not one astronomer found it? At some point, of course, if you're one of these guys who believes in this mystical heavenly body, you'll have to believe that there's a government conspiracy to cover it up, because that's the only way to explain the lack of hard evidence.

It's a modern form of religion. It makes for a fun story, but don't get too invested in the concept if they can't back it up.
                        Now, were Sumerians wrong about the other nine planets? Good question aint it?
                        Just like Pluto, it was found in 1930, but it had long been rumored to exist because of its effect on the orbits of other planets.

Comment

• bigmattyh
                          • Apr 2001

Originally posted by nuno
                          Christ, that was 3500 BC, I find remarkable that Sumerians knew about 10 or 12 planets, Pluto was only discovered in 1930, and it's satellite, Charon, in 1978, they already knew about that 5000 years ago, and you call'em ignorant?
                          You show me the evidence that they knew of Uranus, Neptune and Pluto -- and not just some 7th, 8th, and 9th planets of indeterminate characteristics -- and I'll give it some thought. You can't just say that "They knew there were 12 planets way back then!" without showing that they actually knew what they were talking about.

Show me that they knew that Uranus is tilted on its axis. Show me that they knew that Pluto was a ball of ice barely the size of the moon. If they were so advanced and had all this ancient knowledge, they ought to have known at least that much.

Comment

• nuno
                            • Apr 2001
                            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

So you believe I am ignorant? Of course I am. I do not study astronomy, and my life does not depend on me studying the stars every night. So yes, I am ignorant in that field.
                            Exactly what Wayne said, no one is debating religion or ignorance here, it is amazing the Sumerians knowledge, this is marked on stone, dated around 5000 years ago, they already knew about all the solar system planets and its satellites, and we all know that's completely impossible because, even with a very powerful telescope, anything beyond Saturn is just too damn far.

Comment

• bigmattyh
                              • Apr 2001

Here's another way of putting my skepticism: HOW? How did they know about these things? You can't just point to wall carvings and say, "Well, they knew it, it doesn't matter how." It really does. You can't claim understanding of a thing unless you know how you know about it.

Look. If I say, nuno, you're a male. And you say: You're right! How did you know that? And I say, "I have ancient wisdom that tells me these things," you're going to believe me, right? I don't know that you're a male. I've never met you. I'm taking an educated guess. And you know that because you know I don't know you, and you also know that we've never had a discussion of your sex before. So you know, by induction, that I must have guessed that you were a male. Educated guess, sure. But you know that I don't know that for a fact.

It's the same thing with this situation. If you can't show me how the ancient Sumerians knew about the 12 planets -- if you can't show me the mechanism by which they came to that knowledge -- it's all speculation on what their mythology meant. Not proof of anything. Which is more plausible? That the ancient Sumerians were contacted by aliens from our own solar system, who left no subtantial proof of their existence, and were given knowledge by this all-wise master race which left its DNA and technology behind (but again, no proof of its own existence), who live on a mystical "12th" planet (depending on how you define "planet" ) which has still yet to be discovered, despite the fact that we can find planets outside our own solar system? Or is it more likely that the Sumerians told stories, like all cultures have, that were the products of imagination?

It's time to whip out the BS detector. This one doesn't pass.

Guys. You're gullible if you believe this stuff. I mean, it's fun to think about, but don't take it seriously. It can be really harmful if you entertain this kind of thing as reality. It's just as harmful if you think that anything is possible. There's a point where you have to draw a line and say "No, that doesn't fly." As my homies would say, keep it real.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...