Just backed up my first vB3 database

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Darkshines
    • Apr 2002

Why do you even have to do that? You could just have a MySQL client running on your own machine, and have it connect directly to the MySQL server - you could even use phpMyAdmin, and it would probably back up any size of database, so long as you set the timeout on PHP to something really crazy.

Comment

• AWS
      • Apr 2000
      • 5.2.x

Originally posted by Darkshines
      Why do you even have to do that? You could just have a MySQL client running on your own machine, and have it connect directly to the MySQL server - you could even use phpMyAdmin, and it would probably back up any size of database, so long as you set the timeout on PHP to something really crazy.
      I don't know any host that leaves mysql open for remote connections. If you find one and use them as your host you'll soon find all data stolen or deleted.
      Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

• alpha
        • May 2001

Originally posted by Asendin
        please tell me your joking, whos your host?
        hrm, from my experience - it is a good idea for hosts to take this kind of procedure because first of all, those who REALLY don't need SSH, those who don't know how to use SSH, and those who intend on using SSH in a negative manner will not like having to provide a copy of their driver's license to the host - so this definitely can filter out those people who do not need to have access to SSH.

Secondly, if they take the extra step to make sure that the host receives the requested information for SSH enabling - then the host knows that the customer is willing to take responsibility IF it is misused.

I am friends with couple of hosts who do this - but most of the time, they put on their web site that they require such information for SSH access so that it would drive away the customers who won't need to have SSH access and usually just enables SSH upon request after they sign up

Comment

• feldon23
          • Nov 2001
          • 3.7.x

Originally posted by alpha
          hrm, from my experience - it is a good idea for hosts to take this kind of procedure because first of all, those who REALLY don't need SSH, those who don't know how to use SSH, and those who intend on using SSH in a negative manner will not like having to provide a copy of their driver's license to the host - so this definitely can filter out those people who do not need to have access to SSH.

Secondly, if they take the extra step to make sure that the host receives the requested information for SSH enabling - then the host knows that the customer is willing to take responsibility IF it is misused.

I am friends with couple of hosts who do this - but most of the time, they put on their web site that they require such information for SSH access so that it would drive away the customers who won't need to have SSH access and usually just enables SSH upon request after they sign up
          In other words, the decision is being made for us and we should go use some chickensh*t webhost. They aren't giving us the choice between telnet and SSH, they took away telnet and said please mail us a xerox of your driver's license if you want to use anything involving telnet/ssh. And this webhost is already on the last straw for downtimes, problems, etc.

Maybe someone is misunderstanding the point of SSH. SSH is not to protect the server. SSH is to protect my account. If SSH is there to protect the server, someone needs to seriously rethink how much control a user account has! What're you guys using, Linux?
          Last edited by feldon23; Sat 8 Mar '03, 10:32pm.

Comment

• Floris
            • Dec 2001

Jake,
            uploading through a browser is possible, phpmyadmin has the upload feature, and so do many other sql managing scripts.

The problem is, that you are bound to the restricktion of the set max execution time and the max filesize of what you can upload. Most default are 30s and 2mb.

So your .sql upload will fail to complete and inserting it into a newly database won't work ofcourse.

One has only a few choices:
            - upload the .sql to the server,
            * do it yourself through a shell account (telnet/ssh)
            * or let your host do it.

My host doesn't allow access to the shell, and I knew this before I signed up with them. It is something that I don't like, but for this price I get what I need. I also know that when I need something imported, they will do this for me, at any given time. Within 2 hours time max. Which is good enough for me.

If your host besides shell access also doesn't want to import for you .. then it is reaaally advicable to move.

And about the mysql size of vb3.

version 2: 37,8 MB
            version 3: 26,1 MB

Comment

• Skeptical
              • Oct 2000

Originally posted by feldon23
              Getting SSH configured and set up for each user seems to be beyond the capability of my webhost. They want a driver's license number or some such nonsense.
              It ain't nonsense. Stop making such a big deal out of it. Just send a faxed copy of your driver's license and they will enable it for you.

If YOU were a host would you just open up SSH access to everyone without questions?
              Well, there it is.
              - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

• feldon23
                • Nov 2001
                • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Skeptical
                It ain't nonsense. Stop making such a big deal out of it. Just send a faxed copy of your driver's license and they will enable it for you.

If YOU were a host would you just open up SSH access to everyone without questions?
                Obviously i don't know anything about SSH. I thought it was encrypted telnet. You make it sound like I have access to blow up the '''''''' server with 10 keystrokes.

I just want to be able to get in, move stuff around faster than FTP, do database administration, twiddle settings, and get out.

Comment

• Dean C
                  • Mar 2002
                  • 3.5.x

This is not the point i was trying to make. There's no point in having a backup facility if it doesn't do the job efficiently.

- miSt
                  Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• Skeptical
                    • Oct 2000

Obviously i don't know anything about SSH. I thought it was encrypted telnet. You make it sound like I have access to blow up the '''''''' server with 10 keystrokes.

I just want to be able to get in, move stuff around faster than FTP, do database administration, twiddle settings, and get out.
                    Well your host doesn't know that. Lots of hosts get hit daily with spammers and others using stolen credit cards. You obviously aren't one of them, but your host cannot know that for sure. This is why they're asking you for your license. Just fax over a copy to them and you'll be all set.
                    Well, there it is.
                    - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

• okrogius
                      • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Skeptical

Generally asking for a driver's license isn't that big of an issue. The only issue may be is that a lot of vbulletin owners are high school students and the like - not all with driver license. (however, that may be a positive thing for the host).

But if I would be hosting someone I would give them SSH without going throuh such drastic measures. My current host doesn't require it (VenturesOnline), and everything is working smoothly.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Codename49
                        Generally asking for a driver's license isn't that big of an issue. The only issue may be is that a lot of vbulletin owners are high school students and the like - not all with driver license. (however, that may be a positive thing for the host).
                        As a hosting reseller, I won't resell to anyone under the age of 18. It may sound discriminatory but they cannot legally enter into a binding contract and therefore can't be held responsible to a terms of service or acceptable use policy. Sure I could simply terminate their accounts when they screw things up but I can't afford to let things get that far since it can affect my other customers. Being a small provider, things are a lot different. Since 90% of the listed hosting companies are in fact resellers of one scale or another, people need to protect their bottom line and if a copy of a customer's drivers license protects it then so be it.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• feldon23
                          • Nov 2001
                          • 3.7.x

Ugh. My point in all this is, why is telnet being phased out? Are packet sniffers that prevalent? Why can't telnet be extended to support MD5 password hashes with the appropriate client software?

Originally posted by Mist
                          This is not the point i was trying to make. There's no point in having a backup facility if it doesn't do the job efficiently.
                          vBulletin 3 should take a quick guess at the size of the database before displaying the Backups page.

If the filesize is > 2mb:

A complete backup of your vBulletin forum will exceed 2 MB. If you do not have a high-speed Internet connection such as DSL, Cable, or Satellite, you will not be able to successfully backup the entire forum.

Do you want to proceed anyway?
                          [Yes] [Yes, ignoring the Search index (.4 MB)] [No]

To ensure a complete backup of your database, you are encouraged to use Telnet or SSH (links) to login to your site, create a backup, and then download it with FTP. [More Help]

If the filesize is > 6mb:

A complete backup of your vBulletin forum will exceed 6 MB. Even with a high-speed Internet connection such as DSL, Cable, or Satellite, it is improbable that you will receive a successful backup of the entire forum.

Do you want to proceed anyway?
                          [Yes] [Yes, ignoring the Search index (1.5MB)] [No]

To ensure a complete backup of your database, you must use Telnet or SSH (links) to login to your site, create a backup, and then download it with FTP. [More Help]

You have received a backup of your vBulletin forum 'Inside: SereneScreen'. Please confirm that the filesize of this backup is 11,203,482 bytes (10,940 kb).

P.S. vBulletin should really come with some [hr] vBCodes.
                          [hr]
                          [hr=3]
                          [hr=6]
                          [hr=3;blue]
                          Last edited by feldon23; Sun 9 Mar '03, 9:44am.

Comment

• DR€@M W€@V€R
                            • Mar 2001

yay congratulations to you !

x

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                              • Aug 2000

vBulletin 3 should take a quick guess at the size of the database before displaying the Backups page.
                              vBulletin 3.0 will tell you exactly how big your database is in the admin control panel.
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                                • Nov 2001
                                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                                vBulletin 3.0 will tell you exactly how big your database is in the admin control panel.
                                yaa, i love that feature, and how it shows how much space idividual items take up.
                                MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                                Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...