Win xp home vs. pro

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

Yeah I do, and yeah I do, but I also have different operating systems which I use. I use windows for the programs that don't perform or aren't as nice to work with yet, as done in windows.

Most security , server management , file management .. the more serious stuff of an operating system, I still prefer to jump to a different os then windows for that.

Comment

• vBR
      • Apr 2002

Originally posted by Vile
      It's like I've said before, so many people bash Microsoft, and rant about how MS "sucks" so much, yet they continue to use the products.
      It is Micro**** that sucks, not it's products (much).
      I want to use some of its software but I am not comfortable with gathering information or poking around.

Comment

• bigmattyh
        • Apr 2001

Originally posted by vBR
        It is Micro**** that sucks, not it's products (much).
        I want to use some of its software but I am not comfortable with gathering information or poking around.
        A firewall will keep it from calling home -- or am I wrong?
        iComix :: web comics

Report Post | IP: Logged

Comment

• CeleronXT
          • Mar 2002

Where can you buy the OEM version of the OS though?
          "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
          "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
          Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

• Floris
            • Dec 2001

In shops that don't listen to the rules and sell OEM's without new computers, lol

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by xiphoid
              In shops that don't listen to the rules and sell OEM's without new computers, lol
              You don't need to sell a whole computer to throw in an OEM copy...

Microsoft's licensing rules allows OEM copies to be sold with new CPU's and Harddrives as well.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• centris
                • Jun 2001
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by bigmattyh
                A firewall will keep it from calling home -- or am I wrong?
                NO, in Norton for example a rule is established by default for Windows update when you install the software. If you delete the rule and then use auto-update you are asked to create another rule (allowing communication with Microsoft servers) The only safe way round is to get to know the sites that get the updates (somehow) so that you can download to your HDD and install via that route.

Longform features discussing tech culture, computing history, and exploring the latest trends in technology, computer hardware and software.

Comment

• JamesUS
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by centris
                  NO, in Norton for example a rule is established by default for Windows update when you install the software. If you delete the rule and then use auto-update you are asked to create another rule (allowing communication with Microsoft servers) The only safe way round is to get to know the sites that get the updates (somehow) so that you can download to your HDD and install via that route.

http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/updates/#WindowsXP
                  Microsoft do give out downloadable updates through their Corporate Windows Update site, which IIRC anyone can get to. I don't have the URL here though.

Comment

• centris
                    • Jun 2001
                    • 3.8.x

I had the link a while back and looked it out, when I clicked it, rather than the corporate update site I was re-directed to the Windows auto-update page?? Seems old Bill is determined to get you

Take a tip from Scotsmist's sig;

The box said "Requires Windows 98 or better" SO I INSTALLED LINUX
                    That sig kills me every time I see it

Comment

• JamesUS
                      • Aug 2000

The link used to be corporate.windowsupdate.microsoft.com or something along those lines - then they changed it and I haven't needed to use it since.

However, I have just looked up the new link and it is actually part of the normal Windows Update site. Go to windows update, and when it has loaded click 'Windows Update Catalog' in the left-hand nav bar.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...