Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JamesUS
    • Aug 2000

Network Cable Supplier in UK

I'm in need of a lot of Cat5 network cable in about three weeks time - and was wondering if anyone had any recommended suppliers. My regular computer dealer (dabs.com) doesn't appear to sell it. Normally I just buy pre-made lengths of a few metres but I need some very long ones this time and it would seem easier and cheaper just to make up my own.

I'd like at least one drum/reel of up to 100m that I can cut and make into the appropriate lengths. Should be nice and cheap as well!

Thanks in advance for any recommendations you can make.
  • XiXora
    • Aug 2001

www.maplin.co.uk mate bout 30 quid for 100m, i think its alcatel stuff, saw the reel at work.
    www.xixora.com
    Goldrush : A Soldier of Fortune Modification going for the GOLD!

Comment

• vBR
      • Apr 2002

Instalation cable from £34.99 / 305m
      Flexible Patch cable from £69.99 / 305m

Comment

• JamesUS
        • Aug 2000

Excellent, cheers I'll have a look at both of those and place an order next week.

Comment

• JAWilliams
          • Mar 2001
          • 3.0.0 'Gold'

have fun wiring that lot up, I hate making up my own network cable, and wiring plugs and connectors

Comment

• vBR
            • Apr 2002

Originally posted by JAWilliams
            have fun wiring that lot up, I hate making up my own network cable, and wiring plugs and connectors
            I love it. Great fun wiring your own cables, undercutting PC-World, and still making a profit

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
              Former vBulletin Developer
              • Dec 2000

James remember Cat5 has an effective signal strength of rougly 92m (100m allegedly), if your going over a large distance you'll want to make sure you have shielded cabling too to stop electromagnetic interfience. I found running Cat5 next to power cables was a prime example.

If your going more than the 92m then you'll need a repeater (extender)
              Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• JamesUS
                • Aug 2000

Each individual cable shouldn't be more than 92m. I just need a lot of cables, each of say 20 - 30m.

The power cables might be an issue though so I'll have to have a think about that.

Comment

• vBR
                  • Apr 2002

Originally posted by JamesUS
                  Each individual cable shouldn't be more than 92m. I just need a lot of cables, each of say 20 - 30m.

The power cables might be an issue though so I'll have to have a think about that.
                  92m is the total distance allowable point-to-point
                  If you have a setup involving someining like:

PC1 --- Hub --- Router --- Hub --- PC2

The total cable length between PC1 & PC2 can not be greater than 92m unless your hub(s) or router contain a repeater.

Comment

• JamesUS
                    • Aug 2000

Thanks - as I said earlier I'll only be using cables of 20 - 30m so it shouldn't be a problem.

I think I'm going to get the 300m cable from datalinkcabling - it looks like the best deal.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...