Sorry for my bad English! :)

Comment

• CeleronXT
      • Mar 2002

Originally posted by inetd
      CeleronXT, you right!
      It's ROX!!! Intel FOREVER
      I retract my earlier statement about it "rox"ing. :P

Although I am an Intel kind of guy, if AMD goes out, Intel will become a much worse company without AMD's competition. I still don't like AMD though.

Originally posted by SkuZZy
      I won't try and convince you to not use intel. We need people like you around to keep intel in business.
      No no, please do so.
      "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
      "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
      Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

• bigmattyh
        • Apr 2001

Originally posted by roxics
        Here's a thought. What about Apple buying out AMD?
        Very interesting. I read an article in the last few months about the wisdom of Apple switching to Intel CPU's to cut costs and to make their apps compatible with PC's, thereby increasing the palatability of the Mac to the average consumer. It would be mighty interesting for Apple to buy AMD, and then create a new processor that gives Apple the best of both worlds. Not all that likely, but still, you never know.
        iComix :: web comics

Report Post | IP: Logged

Comment

• jrwap
          • Jul 2000

I am a big fan of AMD's processors. For me, a poor college kid, its great to get top notch performance for about $300-$600 less than what I would pay for a similar Intel chip. Yes, they run much hotter and the core can get damaged very easily, but I think thats a small price to pay.

Someone had mentioned that all the big computer manufacturers only use Intel chips..... that is very far from the truth. HP and Compaq both offered great systems at an affordable price using Athlons... before the merger of course.

While I have no personal experience with the Itanium processors, I have read alot of complaints about them with reguards to their price/performance factor. It will be interesting to see how the Hammer can help AMD in the future when they finally release it. It will be the only 64bit (32bit backwards compatable) processor on the market. Microsoft has already been reworking the Windows opperating system to take advange of this processor which should help boost support and sales in the industry.

No matter what processor company you support, keep in mind that cometition is VERY IMPORTANT!!! Without it, we will be paying an arm and a leg which would suck.

-JRW
          LostDiscussion.com - Fan base community for ABC's Lost | Club-tC.com - Scion tC Enthusiast Site | PcTechTalk.com - What's your issue? | eInvesting.com - Play the Market, Learn Investing, WIN!

Comment

• dabean
            • Apr 2001

Originally posted by bigmattyh
            I read an article in the last few months about the wisdom of Apple switching to Intel CPU's to cut costs and to make their apps compatible with PC's, thereby increasing the palatability of the Mac to the average consumer. It would be mighty interesting for Apple to buy AMD, and then create a new processor that gives Apple the best of both worlds. Not all that likely, but still, you never know.
            Apple switching its desktop top platform to x86 may give them a performance boost but the price for the performance is loosing legacy support for existing MacOS/OSX+PPC applications. Its not the hardware that sells platforms but the software support without the existing applications OSX on x86 would be near useless and further more porting complex applications between cpu architechtures is vastly more complex than the still on going application migration from mac os to OSX. Unless apple fancy waiting 2 to 3 years for large applications like Quark, Photoshop, Illustrator to be ported a switch to x86 is a hiding to noware at the desktop level. At desktop level apple's only route is either Motorola G5 or IBM PPC970.

On the other hand adopting a x86 version like say x86-64 (opteron) at the server level goes a long way towards getting a crediable server platform with a long term future which server software companies would support. Going from x86-64 + Linux to x86-64 + OSX server is relatively easy.

A hybridised PPC/x86 cpu would fall under the definition of new architure which means its a) expensive to do, b) takes a long time. Lets say $1bn (US) and 5 to 7 years before such a cpu could be sold if development was started on it today.

Ah but software emulation I hear you cry, well whilst G3 is certianly doable with reasonable performance G4 on the other hand is not and it will be a number of years before 128-bit Altivec unit can be emulated by a x86 design in software.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
              • Jun 2002

I agree with NetherChris a lot.

Stability issues related to the VIA chips are expected since they are the FIRST chipset maker to not use any Intel related core. The move by AMD to make their own chip and depend on their own chipset was a brilliant move on their behalf cutting expenses while preventing Intel from monopolizing.

People who remove heatsinks, are just idiots and I know for a fact there are safeguards on motherboards that prevents overheating on the AMD by shutting down.

Intel may have the name yes, but are you willing to pay a couple hundred for a name when it serves no purpose? AMD has proven itself over the last few years that it can match Intel in performance and design without being shaken.

AMD kept a very close tail when P2s when slot. Performance equals or exceeds it.

Honestly I doubt AMD can be shaken off, considering the last move by Intel where they made a pure 64bit consumer processor whereas the Hammer is a hybrid and suits the needs of many more consumers.
              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                • Dec 2000
                • 3.6.x

they lost almost 1 billion dollars in one quarter. you can't look at that number and have no doubt about the companies future.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                  • Jun 2002

Originally posted by Jakeman
                  they lost almost 1 billion dollars in one quarter. you can't look at that number and have no doubt about the companies future.
                  I'm sure if we look through Intel's past earning reports that it would mention them losing just as much or more money.
                  ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                  Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                    • Dec 2000
                    • 3.6.x

really? where can i get past earnings reports?

Comment

• bigmattyh
                      • Apr 2001

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                      I'm sure if we look through Intel's past earning reports that it would mention them losing just as much or more money.
                      Bad comparison. Intel is a much larger company, and so $1bn is not as much money to them.

Like I said, companies go through rough patches. A company with the resources of AMD will not die. It may be bought; it may cut parts off; it may shrink a little. But it will not go away.
                      iComix :: web comics

Report Post | IP: Logged

Comment

• P.Jackson
                        • Dec 2002
                        • 3.8.x

bah just gimme a slice of that and ill be happy

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Jakeman
                          really? where can i get past earnings reports?
                          You can order them from your brokerage or the Securities and Exchange Commission.
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• ccd1
                            • Jun 2002

Stockholders get them sent to them. They're quite annoying when you receieve about a billion of them from different companies you don't care about.

Comment

• john2k
                              • Jul 2000

AMD vs Intel... hmmm....

Well, I was using Intel for my personal computer up until December. Now have an XP 2600+ w/333FSB + ASUS A7N8X -- it flies. Also built a few PCs with AMD procs over the past few months for family, one has been running 24/7 for the past 5 months. Up until September I only had the experience of working with Intel based computers.

I've gotta say, AMD is proving itself very well to me. Price, performance, reliability.

Now I don't claim to know whether Intel or AMD is the absolute best. But then again, the technology continually improves - unless you have the latest & greatest chip from whatever manufacturer, chances are that the other manufacturer already has a chip faster than the one you have.
                              ...john2k...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...