Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NetherChris
    • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Jakeman
    i don't care. i bought a p4. it has served me well. i'll stick with it. i'm not loyal to any platform though.
    Exactly. If it works, it works. Do you like it? Good! That's all thats important!

Comment

• SkuZZy
      • Aug 2002

Originally posted by bigmattyh
      Having those kind of losses does not mean that the company's going under. It probably means they'll have to do some major restructuring, but there's no reason for them to stop making their CPU's. (If you'll notice, the CPU sales are UP. There is no way they'll shut down that part of their operation.) I'd expect them to clean house, cut jobs, and reduce expenses in any way they can so that they can get a good pool of cash going to offset their expenses. That's what companies do when the business is going through a rough period.

Finally, about whether Intel or AMD suz/rox: Intel still sells more CPU's because they do a much better job at reaching the consumer. People feel better buying an Intel. They don't give a crap about benchmarks. They come into the store, and they know "Pentium" and they know "Intel." When the salesman says "But you can get this Athlon, or this Duron, for $200 cheaper!" they don't necessarily think that's a good thing. They think cheaper = worse, and besides, they've never heard of AMD, so why lay down a few hundred bucks on something that you're not comfortable in buying? That's the way most people think. If AMD wants to increase its market share, it's gotta advertise on a scale that can compete with Intel AND make chips that can outperform theirs.
      Don't forget about Dell & Gateway both using intel. That is really what pushes them over the edge. However, almost all small computer companies use AMD now, because of the price and performance. Dell and Gateway use intel because of the brand name, not cause of reliability (like many will say) and also because many people buying dell's are newbies and will just use their computer for business tasks, checking email, ect. which admitably intel is better at. But the real computer gurus know that Intel = all hype.

... and CeleronXT, i'm afraid to even call you an intel fanboy. You would get rocked in the debates over @ hardforum. I don't even think the big intel fanboys would want you arguing on their side. Most of points for buying intel (and much less a celeron, I sincerely hope that's only your name and not your actually cpu) are outdated and no longer apply now-a-days. Most of them sound like newbie remarks and it's because of consumers like yourself that intel is ahead in the market. Stop thinking like a brainwashed intel fanboy and use your brain :/

As far as comments on this report go, I don't see what the big deal is. Lots of companies report losses, but AMD is large and can recover from this with some restructuring. With the operton coming out, they will get more marketshare and get back on track. But I think AMD needs to focus on more advertising and public awareness. That's all they need and they will easily 0wn intel's crappy overrated processesors. They also need to work on un-brainwashing people like CeleronXT who seem to think that AMD is still unstable and runs "too hot". Wow, 10 degrees warmer!!! Get a better heatsink and stfu!

Damn... I need a drink....

SkuZZy
      -
      Visit the Web Scripts Directory @ http://www.scriptz.com
      -
      PHP, CGI, Perl, ASP, JavaScript, CFML, Python and more!

-

Comment

• bigmattyh
        • Apr 2001

Well, to put my point another way:

We can debate about which chip is better until the cows come home. It doesn't matter in the scheme of things because the discussion is an erudite debate that only about .5% of computer buyers understand. This isn't 1978. The vast majority of people buying PC's (and CPU's) are not geeks who understand the tech specs of what they're getting, and more accurately, obsess over them endlessly. It comes down to economics on a large scale: who can move the most units for the most return.

Talk about specs and preformance all you want. They are not, and will never be, the most influential factor in CPU sales for personal computers. It's like talking about how great the Mac is. Even if it is a superior design (and that is debatable, just like this), it doesn't have as much of a bearing on the decision-making process of Joe Computer Buyer as other factors.
        iComix :: web comics

Report Post | IP: Logged

Comment

• Tolitz
          • Dec 2000

... some of you actually believe Tomshardware, the site that gives a whole new meaning to the word "biased"? Haha... No wonder Intel is ahead... spread misinformation to people who don't know enough and they'll lap it up and preach it ...

Heat? Haha, last time that was ever an issue was way back with the K5's ... little knowledge can be a pretty dangerous thing...
          OPEN TECH SUPPORT
          "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

• P.Jackson
            • Dec 2002
            • 3.8.x

yea and how many times was that tested taking the heatsink of the cpu ok so it was a lucky straw outta the hat and the amd burned could have meant anything did they both use the same heatsink? so motherboard i think not

Comment

• Vile
              • Jul 2002
              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by CeleronXT
              I repeat, it rox.

There's a reason for the extra price in Intel's processors. Not gonna go into detail here again.
              Hmm, I'm still wondering why old AMD XP 1800+ @ 1.53 GHz can and eaisly has outperformed the Pentium 4 @ 2.4 GHz...Go figure
              Webmaster / Administrator
              www.MegaGames.com
              www.MGForums.com

Comment

• klisis
                • May 2000

I am getting a feeling that this discussion is not a matter of facts but a matter of personal preference (AKA truth ).

Comment

• vBR
                  • Apr 2002

I have but one thing to add...
                  *cough*

Comment

• nuno
                    • Apr 2001
                    • 3.8.x

About AMD -> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=7211
                    About Intel -> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=7206
                    You're my Prince of Peace
                    And I will live my life for You

Comment

• roxics
                      • Sep 2001

Here's a thought. What about Apple buying out AMD?

Last I heard Apple had something like 4-6 billion in free spending cash they were saving. I don't know how true that was or not. I'm also not sure if they could get AMD for that price.

They're had been rumors of AMD building Apple new chips for the mac line up. Seems that if Apple bought out a comapy like AMD they wouldn't have to rely on third parties like motorola or IBM to build their chips which are keeping them behind the times.

Anyway it's an interesting thought all the same.
                      www.ScapeFilms.com

Comment

• TECK
                        • Dec 2001
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Jakeman
                        i don't care. i bought a p4. it has served me well. i'll stick with it. i'm not loyal to any platform though.
                        Same here.
                        Floren Munteanu
                        Axivo Inc.
                        Axivo Searchlight - Turbocharge your web site

Comment

• CeleronXT
                          • Mar 2002

Originally posted by SkuZZy
                          ... and CeleronXT, i'm afraid to even call you an intel fanboy. You would get rocked in the debates over @ hardforum. I don't even think the big intel fanboys would want you arguing on their side. Most of points for buying intel (and much less a celeron, I sincerely hope that's only your name and not your actually cpu) are outdated and no longer apply now-a-days. Most of them sound like newbie remarks and it's because of consumers like yourself that intel is ahead in the market. Stop thinking like a brainwashed intel fanboy and use your brain :/
                          That's probably true, however I wouldn't go into a debate at [H] about it because I don't care.

Celeron is but my name. I have a P4.

Fine, unbrainwash me.. NOW
                          - OR -
                          Give me better reasons for why Intel is better.
                          Last edited by CeleronXT; Sat 18 Jan '03, 9:12am.
                          "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
                          "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
                          Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

• CeleronXT
                            • Mar 2002

On another note, my school bought 15 AMD PC's about 3 months ago. Wanna know how many still work? 6
                            "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
                            "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
                            Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

• SkuZZy
                              • Aug 2002

Originally posted by CeleronXT
                              On another note, my school bought 15 AMD PC's about 3 months ago. Wanna know how many still work? 6
                              Sounds like your school needs a new server admin. I have a 16 month AMD 1600+ system i'm using right now, working perfect. I have a 23 month old 1ghz tbird system that is running almost better than my current system, I use it for burning cd's and images only. My mom uses an old K-6 450 computer that is STILL working fine, hard drive died, had to get the mobo replaced a while ago, but the amd chip keeps chugging along. And I recentely put together two new duron systems for my sister & step-father, both of which were fine and are working great. You'd never think a Duron 1.2ghz would run faster than a Pentium 1.7ghz, but it does, atleast for me. Back to your delima. I don't think anyone would disagree that having 9 out of 15 CPU's die in 3 months is impossible unless you have a stupid server admin or you just flat out got a bad batch of processors together. If more than 60% of AMD's cpu's died within' 3 months, they wouldn't even be around now, would they?

I won't try and convince you to not use intel. We need people like you around to keep intel in business. Plus... I enjoy knowing that my 1600+ kicks the **** out of pentium 2.0ghz computers that people paid twice as much money for, rotfl.
                              -
                              Visit the Web Scripts Directory @ http://www.scriptz.com
                              -
                              PHP, CGI, Perl, ASP, JavaScript, CFML, Python and more!

-

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                                • Dec 2000
                                • 3.6.x

Originally posted by roxics
                                Here's a thought. What about Apple buying out AMD?

Last I heard Apple had something like 4-6 billion in free spending cash they were saving. I don't know how true that was or not. I'm also not sure if they could get AMD for that price.

They're had been rumors of AMD building Apple new chips for the mac line up. Seems that if Apple bought out a comapy like AMD they wouldn't have to rely on third parties like motorola or IBM to build their chips which are keeping them behind the times.

Anyway it's an interesting thought all the same.
                                apple desperately needs new cpus. buying amd would probably be good for them.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...