Anyone using phpadsnew?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Overgrow
    • May 2000

phpAdsNew was starting to bog my site as I was using it across all my pages, about 500k impressions a day. That's half a million queries it was doing each day to log the impressions So I modified the "deferred threadviews" hack to work with this-- it logs the views to a temporary HEAP table and then when it has a good bunch, it sorts them with GROUP BY and writes them all at once. It's saving over 90% of the queries. If you have a large site using it, mail me for the mods or I'll post them here.
    2101 Total Views (original number of write queries)
    119 Ads/Zones (new number of write queries)
    94% of Writes Avoided [1982 avoided]
    18:1 Original Writes vs. Consolidated Writes
    vB Retro -> See vBulletin 1.1.2 and travel back to the Year 2000!
    Overgrow the Government: The Edge Forums
    presented by Overgrow Marijuana Magazine

*warning: adult content since vB1.1... now faster than ever!

Comment

• DannyITR
      • Jan 2002

Yo that's a large forum you got there! All about weed as well. Can't you get into some kind of trouble?

By the way the answer to my problem in the first post was that the banners and zones need to be identical in size.
      Danny
      My Site ---->www.montrealracing.com

Comment

• Overgrow
        • May 2000

Hi Danny, Information is free and legal. We don't sell weed or even any type of growing supplies, just offer information. And we're not located in any of the especially oppressive countries (coughUSAcough).

Comment

• DannyITR
          • Jan 2002

Cool. Are you sure all info is free? What if I had a forum about killing people? (no offence intended I'm just curious about the laws. I really don't mind if people want to smoke weed or not).
          Danny
          My Site ---->www.montrealracing.com

Comment

• Overgrow
            • May 2000

I'm sure it depends what country you're in and I'm far from an expert on International law... Go to your local bookstore and see if you can order the "Anarchists Cookbook"-- this deals with manufacturing drugs,building bombs, spying, etc. Even in the US, you can still purchase this book.. I'm sure you can in Canada as well. Part of most basic bills of rights is the Freedom of the Press-- you cannot stop information from being shared as this fundamentally goes against the people's right to change the government.

In places like the States, there are laws against talking about things deemed essential to national security-- you cannot talk about ass*ssin*ting the pr3s1dent.. you cannot talk about nuclear secrets that you know.

Do you know any nuclear secrets?

Comment

• IDN
              • Apr 2002
              • 3.5.x

I really like your template set grow, is the forum hard to update?
              Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

• Overgrow
                • May 2000

Thanks IDN, we were vB board of the month last year sometime. The site isn't hard to update at all really. It's all built on PHP and the forums use the same header pulls and sitewide navigation includes that the rest of the site does. We also have another new "stealth" template set for browsing at work.. That's the most PITA to update-- having to do two template sets-- I'm not used to having more than one.
                Attached Files

Comment

• IDN
                  • Apr 2002
                  • 3.5.x

STill doesn't fix url logging
                  Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                    • Jun 2002

if phpadsnew seems to be slowing down your site, I find switching the stats to compact mode helps a lot.
                    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Overgrow
                      • May 2000

re: compact mode

Already was. thanks~

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                        • Jun 2002

How odd....

I think you didn't configure something (banner caching) or something. I don't have a problem at my site and I don't see any slow load time.
                        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Overgrow
                          • May 2000

Thanks, maybe I'm just a bit picky about database load. My servers are already maxed out yet I have the site running fairly fast. Any additional database load is noticed with slower page generation times.

I could look at the processlist and see a few updates of the adstats views up at once.. it seemed pointless to add 1 or 2 unnecessary update queries with every page view. Once I cached them, it adds no appreciable load. How many banners are you showing per day with it?

I believe banner caching only is applicable if you store them in the database correct? Mine are in the filesystem.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                            • Jun 2002

Originally posted by Overgrow
                            Thanks, maybe I'm just a bit picky about database load. My servers are already maxed out yet I have the site running fairly fast. Any additional database load is noticed with slower page generation times.

I could look at the processlist and see a few updates of the adstats views up at once.. it seemed pointless to add 1 or 2 unnecessary update queries with every page view. Once I cached them, it adds no appreciable load. How many banners are you showing per day with it?

I believe banner caching only is applicable if you store them in the database correct? Mine are in the filesystem.
                            Banner caching from what I've read is the system storing code to maximize performance without adding extra strain or delays to the system.

I'm rotating quite a few banners. I currently rotating approximately 5 banners (various sizes) on the main page. It varies from page to page, but the most I rotate at once is 3.

What version of phpadsnew are you running?

Comment

• Overgrow
                              • May 2000

I'm thinking it doesn't turn on banner cache unless you are evaluating delivery limitations (which I'm not).

>>I'm rotating quite a few banners.

What I meant is how many adviews is it doing? If it's less than a few hundred thousand then you probably wouldn't notice the load right?

version: the latest 2 RC 2

Comment

• Overgrow
                                • May 2000

Just FYI I don't have any speed problems with it now.. the cache is saving over 90% of the view queries so I think it's worth it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...