Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roxics
    • Sep 2001

VB dating service

Does anyone run a VB that is a dating service? I'm not talking about a board where guys and girls talk about whatever. I've talking about a hacked VB where you can search out members my location, age, interests, ect. Where members can upload pictures to their profiles and so on. Then you can PM them or talk on the board.

I'm curious because I was thinking of starting one myself. I'm so sick of all these pay dating sites. First off online dating seems lame as it is. But it seems even worse to pay for it. Plus so may of them are so limited.

I think it would be really cool to have a VB wehre members sign up for free and can browse other people and talk about dating on the board.

Make it a donation run site if anything.

Is there a place like this or should I start one?
    www.ScapeFilms.com
  • ccd1
    • Jun 2002

Dating services, huh? I didn't know people actually used those It takes away the fun in meeting someone and then getting them in the sack.

Make one, I'm curious as to how these work

Comment

Originally posted by baragon0
      Dating services, huh? I didn't know people actually used those It takes away the fun in meeting someone and then getting them in the sack.

Make one, I'm curious as to how these work
      Hehe that just caught me off guard .

roxics, i think its a great idea. Let us know if you decide to go ahead with it.

Comment

• TheComputerGuy
        • Apr 2001

Originally posted by Brad.loo
        Hehe that just caught me off guard .

roxics, i think its a great idea. Let us know if you decide to go ahead with it.
        Well I don't know of any, but I know that www.facethejury.com is sorta based on the idea, and it seems pretty interesting how it is set up.

anyways good luck...I know some people that used dating services, but found out what type of people really used the service...LOL!!

Comment

• ccd1
          • Jun 2002

Haha. That site is hilarious, for lack of a better word...

I know a couple people on that site...looks like I got some ammo on them

Comment

• N9ne
            • Mar 2002
            • 3.5.0 Beta

lol there was this member on my forum that went to this dating site, and put up his profile and stuff, let's just say me and my members made him cry...it's what we do

Personally, I think there's no other dating than the one you do in real life...

Comment

• Sean123
              • May 2002

holy sh*t . .thats a huge board .. one forum has over 13million post .. .. the top poster has over 100,000 post .. OMG!

Comment

• ccd1
                • Jun 2002

Originally posted by Sean123
                holy sh*t . .thats a huge board .. one forum has over 13million post .. .. the top poster has over 100,000 post .. OMG!
                Poor kids don't have much of a life

Comment

• Lorina
                  • Nov 2000
                  • 3.0.0 Release Candidate 2

Well, my forum *isn't* a dating service, but one couple who met on my site got married last June, and there are at least three other current couples who met on the forum. There's been at least half a dozen other couples that dated but have since broke up.

Oh, and I met my husband through a personal ad. If you give it a shot, you'll see that most people who use them aren't desperate losers who can't get a date, but people who want *more* from a relationship than what you'd find when you're drunk in a dark bar at 2:00am. Personally, I was sick of meeting jerks "in real life" who only liked me for how good I looked in a pair of snug hip huggers, not for my brains or personality. (And my husband likes me for all three. ) I know a lot of couples who met online, and they're some of the happiest people I know. Some were able to date as "normal" couples because they lived near each other. I know of one woman who moved from Texas to South Carolina (now married). My husband moved from Maryland to Pennsylvania. And one guy moved to Canada from Australia. That was a special circumstance, though. She first wrote him because she was going on an extended vacation in Australia and wanted to meet some locals. They met there, fell head over heals... she stayed for almost a year, and he came with her when she came back to Canada. They've been together just over two years, and are getting married in a few weeks.

And as for paid dating services... most of them cost around $20 a month. I regularly ended up spending at least $30 a night to go out to a club, with cover charges and drinks, and usually just wound up getting my toes stepped on in a mosh pit. And if I did by some chance meet a guy who didn't at least act like he was just after some booty, I'd have to either get his or give my phone number if I ever wanted to see him again. I don't like giving out personal information to relative strangers. (Most guys in my podunk town didn't have email back when I was single) $20 a month, for a chance to meet decent men in a safe environment, is a bargain.

Comment

• JamesUS
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by roxics
                    Does anyone run a VB that is a dating service? I'm not talking about a board where guys and girls talk about whatever. I've talking about a hacked VB where you can search out members my location, age, interests, ect. Where members can upload pictures to their profiles and so on. Then you can PM them or talk on the board.

I'm curious because I was thinking of starting one myself. I'm so sick of all these pay dating sites. First off online dating seems lame as it is. But it seems even worse to pay for it. Plus so may of them are so limited.

I think it would be really cool to have a VB wehre members sign up for free and can browse other people and talk about dating on the board.

Make it a donation run site if anything.

Is there a place like this or should I start one?
                    I made one of these for a client recently. It is not online yet though. Also it is a commercial site, so you have to pay to use it.

Comment

• Mark Hewitt
                      • Apr 2000
                      • 4.1.x

I don't run a dating service but sometimes it seems like I do!

There are at least 4 couples who have got together after meeting on the board, 2 of these have moved in together and one couple have announced they are getting married

There have been numerous people interested in each other and lots of stuff I don't know about I'm sure

Nothing for me yet
                      Motorsport Forums

Comment

• MarkB
                        • Apr 2001

Originally posted by Mark Hewitt
                        I don't run a dating service but sometimes it seems like I do!

There are at least 4 couples who have got together after meeting on the board, 2 of these have moved in together and one couple have announced they are getting married

There have been numerous people interested in each other and lots of stuff I don't know about I'm sure

Nothing for me yet
                        A few couples have met on my forum. Quite fitting, since I met my now-wife on a forum (albeit a UBB LOL) At least 3 other couples met on that same forum and got married - and this is a heavy metal BB!

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                          • Nov 2001
                          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by baragon0

lolol
                          MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                          Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• roxics
                            • Sep 2001

Originally posted by N9ne
                            Personally, I think there's no other dating than the one you do in real life...
                            I agree with that to an extent. I've never personaly met anyone online that I've taken out on a date. But I also haven't thrown out the idea.

It's just that both the bar scene and coffeeshop don't always work out so well. Okay I'm currently seeing a girl I met at a coffeeshop. But still.. when one thing doesn't work I guess trying online couldn't hurt.

Originally posted by Lorina
                            And as for paid dating services... most of them cost around $20 a month. I regularly ended up spending at least $30 a night to go out to a club, with cover charges and drinks, and usually just wound up getting my toes stepped on in a mosh pit. And if I did by some chance meet a guy who didn't at least act like he was just after some booty, I'd have to either get his or give my phone number if I ever wanted to see him again. I don't like giving out personal information to relative strangers. (Most guys in my podunk town didn't have email back when I was single) $20 a month, for a chance to meet decent men in a safe environment, is a bargain.
                            This is a good way to put it. However when you go out to a club you still go out with your friends and can have a good time dancing and drinking and so on. It's an event. For a lot of people like myself who have never really tried the online dating thing dropping $20 bucks to do it makes me feel..... well.. really geeky and pathetic
                            I just figured it would be interesting to give it a shot. But not at $20 a month. Forget that.
                            www.ScapeFilms.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...