Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JamesUS
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Prince
    that does not matter if all they're doing is making a payment to you.
    From the PayPal web site:
    After opening your International account, you will need to add a valid credit card before you may use PayPal to send or receive funds. Show me To complete your membership and lift the sending limit on your account, you must enter your Member Number. For membership confirmation purposes, PayPal will charge your credit card a $1.95 membership fee. The charge will accompany a unique, randomly generated 4 digit Member Number.

Check your online or physical credit card statement. If you have online access to your credit card statement, it usually takes approximately 2-3 business days for the charge to appear, depending on your issuing bank. If you do not have online access to your statement, wait until you receive your physical statement in the mail to check your 4 digit PayPal Member Number. After you have found your Member Number in your credit card statement, you will need to complete your membership.
    Most people do not have access to credit card transaction records online. I know I don't.

I use PayPal a lot and I think it's excellent, for certain things. However, in my opinion it should not be used as a primary payment service. Sure, use it as a secondary service for those who have it, but use a proper credit card processor as the main one.

Comment

• rylin
      • Jan 2001

Originally posted by JamesUS

Most people do not have access to credit card transaction records online. I know I don't.
      Maybe that's true for england, but i don't know of any bank in sweden that doesn't let you check it online.. i'd expect the same goes for most countries actually.

Originally posted by JamesUS
      Sure, use it as a secondary service for those who have it, but use a proper credit card processor as the main one.
      My open eyes see everything, and you see nothing. . .
      That forum

Comment

• JamesUS
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by okidoki
        Maybe that's true for england, but i don't know of any bank in sweden that doesn't let you check it online.. i'd expect the same goes for most countries actually.

I'm not sure why more don't. I know that cards belonging to me and my family are mixed...some can and some can't, but most can not be accessed online.

Even so, transactions still take a day or two to come up on the statement so it is still a long winded process.

Comment

• Mark Hewitt
          • Apr 2000
          • 4.1.x

Most people don't usually have access to that sort of thing as often signing up for viewing statements online is a complex process.

If you have a choice of buying something through paypal or just submitting your credit card details, I'm sure the vast majority will choose the latter.
          Motorsport Forums

Comment

• paypaldamon
            • Sep 2001

Hi MarkB,

Understood. I was simply explaining my experiences shopping online at several domestic (US sites).

The membership process is in place for international users because an avs screen (address verification) is not available for most international cards. For that reason, we do ask users to confirm their identity by confirming the member number (the logic being that only the person holding the card would be able to get this information).

Comment

• Mark Hewitt
              • Apr 2000
              • 4.1.x

Re: Hi MarkB,

Originally posted by paypaldamon
              The membership process is in place for international users because an avs screen (address verification) is not available for most international cards. For that reason, we do ask users to confirm their identity by confirming the member number (the logic being that only the person holding the card would be able to get this information).
              I have no problems buying stuff from all of the world with my LloydsTSB debit card. Address verification is no problem.

Even though I'm "international"
              Motorsport Forums

Comment

• paypaldamon
                • Sep 2001

Hi Mark,

I am simply advising you why there is a different process for confirming a credit card through PayPal for overseas customers. Most do not support an avs check. I know it can be an inconvenient process for our users...but it has helped keep our fraud rates extremely low (which impacts recipients of credit card payments because they could receive a chargeback for unauthorized credit card use). Our rates on fraud have been reported at less than half of the published rates for fraud.

Comment

• r.d.garrett
                  • Oct 2006
                  • 3.6.x

Monopoly Alert! ;-)

Original poster has Paypal as their SIG.

Anyway, they do have a monopoly don't they? ;-)

I'm building a list of alternatives to accept CC payments. When Citibank quit it became a Monopoly in regards to "internet payments" as a category compared to in person banks.

Lets hope I can find an Ecommerce alternative.

Comment

• r.d.garrett
                    • Oct 2006
                    • 3.6.x

Paypal needs better support for Ecommerce too, many features are needed including 1 cent donation "one click" (damned patent) for people I know and various sites (not including YouTube and XYZ consulting obviously) and help for sellers like myself as I keep getting scammed and LOOSING money on Paypal / Ebay sales.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...