X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joe Gronlund
    • Nov 2001
    • 3.8.x

Judge rules PayPal unfair

Disgruntled customers of PayPal have won an important battle after a US judge ruled its arbitration policy rigid and unfair.

The decision means that punters who use the online payment service and who maintain they've been treated horrendously (check out NoPayPal.com and PayPalWarning.com to hear some real horror stories) could take their cases to court, instead of PayPal's private arbitration system.

read more
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

• DirectPixel
    • Jan 2002
    • 3.5.x

All the better for PayPal to improve.
    :)

Comment

• rockergrrl
      • Jul 2000

Wonder if that'll mean I can get my account off restriction... and get my $65 back that I have stuck there in limbo on the account...

grr...

Comment

• paypaldamon
        • Sep 2001

Hi rockergrrl,

I thought we got your issue straightened out? Please feel free to send me your account email address, as I would like to do a follow-up.

Comment

• rockergrrl
          • Jul 2000

Unfortunately, you basically told me, that because the card/account wasn't in my name (my husbands), I was basically screwed. Unless you changed your policies in the last 2 months..

I was in good standing until I added the check card onto the account. I only did that because a merchant that I was going to send money to wanted address verification.

Feel free to send email my way -- but I know it wont get resolved - or can't get resolved for that matter.

And to add on top of the mess, the bank accounts are no more, because they were unused with no $$ in the for over a month.

PayPal email:
          [email protected] / [email protected]

Total amount on the acount: $64.44
          (my family could really use that $$ right now)

Last edited by rockergrrl; Tue 10 Sep '02, 9:35am.

Comment

• Hooper
            • Apr 2001
            • 3.5.x

I'm thinking about re-thinking my Paypal payment acceptance. While I have had no problems with anything at this point, It appears that unless PayPal becomes a true bank gateway, that the protection for the consumer is less than adequate. This is why we see what we are seeing. I use a bank gateway and PayPal. But for what Paypal now charges per transaction, my merchant account seems to be the better of the two in terms of "bank protection" as well as "bank charges". Well... Paypal isn't a regulated bank. So they really do not qualify to be marketed as such. I like PayPal, but after hearing what happened to Chen's five hundred bucks, I think something needs to be changed. There are far too many bad stories about the company to continue to use them as an alternative payment method it appears. I don't have to get bit to know a dog bites. Just within the vBulletin community alone I have saw two or three bad stories. When I signed up for a commercial account with PayPal, they had a 1-800 number that was there to respond to support requests. Now the number is gone as mentioned. The first thing a bank will tell you when you apply for a "real" merchant bank account is that you "have" to display a phone number in some form to adhere to the customer service rules that are required. Read the fine print.

Even a bank will audit your pages to make sure there is a number available that can be reached for customer support. If not, they do have the option of pulling your merchant account. Paypal is obviously playing by their own rules, and creating them as they go. My opinion is that the very first sign that something isn't right is the lack of ease in contacting a company. With a company like PayPal, it is rediculous to make it difficult to reach customer service. You shouldn't even have to dig for a number. It should be provided and displayed upfront and in bold on the front page of their site. I wasn't at all happy to see that there was a chance that Ebay might purchase PayPal, but with the above post as another example of PayPal issues, i'm not so sure it's a bad idea anymore. Something needs to be done, this needs to be regulated. Considering they have direct access to my business banking account as well as direct access to my credit card and other very personal and important information, I take these threads seriously.
            Last edited by Hooper; Wed 11 Sep '02, 2:48pm.

Comment

• Skeptical
              • Oct 2000

Does Paypal run some sort of bot patrolling the thousands of forums on the internet? Because I can swear every time something bad is said about Paypal Damon always show up asap.
              Well, there it is.
              - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

• Gary King
                • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Skeptical
                Does Paypal run some sort of bot patrolling the thousands of forums on the internet? Because I can swear every time something bad is said about Paypal Damon always show up asap.
                I've only seen damon on several forums, not all lol. Maybe he searchs the forums that he's registered at every few days or so, using the keyword paypal?

Comment

• MUG
                  • Apr 2002

or boardreader.com

Comment

• Gary King
                    • Feb 2002

Originally posted by MUG
                    or boardreader.com
                    Interesting site, never knew about it.

Thanks!

Comment

• paypaldamon
                      • Sep 2001

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in responding. No, I do not use any bots to go through the forums. I do it all manually (we have looked at several options, but I think I am cheaper than using some of the other services

Comment

• heretic
                        • Aug 2001

hehe.. paypal.. lol

I lost $55 through a transaction that I sent to someone, and they denied.

I have nothing nice to say about them.

Comment

• George L
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • May 2000
                          • 3.8.x

Re: Hi,

Originally posted by paypaldamon
                          Sorry for the delay in responding. No, I do not use any bots to go through the forums. I do it all manually (we have looked at several options, but I think I am cheaper than using some of the other services
                          lol ... no probs with paypal for me to date - even wearing the paypal shirt Damon sent me
                          :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                          :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Gary King
                            • Feb 2002

Re: Re: Hi,

Originally posted by eva2000
                            lol ... no probs with paypal for me to date - even wearing the paypal shirt Damon sent me
                            How come you got sent a PayPal shirt and I didn't?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                              • Aug 2000

Re: Re: Re: Hi,

Originally posted by Blak n Wite
                              How come you got sent a PayPal shirt and I didn't?
                              Because you didn't ask nicely when they were giving them out?
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...