Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ukliam
    • Apr 2000

Digital Camera's

Anyone know where I can get some reviews on compact (as in small, not the make) digital camera's?

or has anyone got any suggestions for some that maybe you or a friend are using?

I am looking for a digital camera that will be used mainly (95% of the time) indoors in dark conditions (ie. Night Clubs), it has to be small and take good quality pictures.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Thanks
  • Xanthate™
    • Jun 2002

Xanthate™

Comment

• George L
      Former vBulletin Support
      • May 2000
      • 3.8.x

Re: Digital Camera's

Originally posted by ukliam
      Anyone know where I can get some reviews on compact (as in small, not the make) digital camera's?

or has anyone got any suggestions for some that maybe you or a friend are using?

I am looking for a digital camera that will be used mainly (95% of the time) indoors in dark conditions (ie. Night Clubs), it has to be small and take good quality pictures.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Thanks
      www.dpreview.com

i got a Pentax Optio 230... awesome 3 x optical zoom + 2.5x digital zoom ... takes great shoots for dark conditions too
      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Xanthate™
        • Jun 2002

Thats the second link on my google search

Xanthate™

Comment

• rylin
          • Jan 2001

Sony DCR-PC8.. :P

sure, it might be a camcorder, but it's just great!
          it also has "NightVision", eg IR capabilities.. works great for parties.

The size is pretty much that of last generation's digital cams
          My open eyes see everything, and you see nothing. . .
          That forum

Comment

• Meirion
            • Jun 2001

Liam,

check out some of the photos on my clubbing site http://www.gurn.net

I've just bought a Fuji 4800, and the pictures are great. It's a fantastic camera and I'm well pleased with it. Only cost 320 sheets from Jessops, but Dixons have them for £350 - still a bargain. You get a docking station included which is usefull, and a lithium rechargable battery.
            Syncro flash makes for wicked photos of people in front of lasers and lights.

As for your events listing hack.. I think it would be more suitable (and certainly easier for you) to use a proper perl or PHP events script. It would probably be easier to mod one of those for the fields you need and integrate into your VB design rather than code one from scratch.

Comment

• Meirion
              • Jun 2001

some more good ones

Comment

• Steve Machol
                Former Customer Support Manager
                • Jul 2000

Xanthate™, please modify your sig so it conforms to the vBulletin forum rules. Thanks!
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• N9ne
                  • Mar 2002
                  • 3.5.0 Beta

Originally posted by smachol
                  Xanthate™, please modify your sig so it conforms to the vBulletin forum rules. Thanks!
                  And change the font of it too

Comment

• Dimava
                    • Jul 2001

Sony S-75 I just got it a few days ago, this thing is awesome with a battery which can by recharged just like a video camera battery, and it lasts for 3 hours, and can take pictures upto 2048x1536
                    NXSupport Admin

Comment

• andrewpfeifer
                      • Oct 2000
                      • 3.5.x

I'd recommend a Olympus C700 Ultra Zoom. They stopped making them this year, so you can get them a bit cheaper too. Around $500. 10x optical zoom and 27x digital zoom. Takes awesome pictures.
                      - Andrew Pfeifer

Comment

• ukliam
                        • Apr 2000

I currently have a Fuji Finepix (Not sure of the model) but have had it just over a year, it's one of the more compact ones.
                        The one you use is small, but I would like one smaller still, that the trouble trying to find one that is both small and takes good pictures.

The pictures from mine are great outside but for indoor pics (where I mainly want to use it) they come out a bit blurred or if they are of people (Like in picture 78 below) they come out too bright, or also sometimes just blurred. If the flash is not used I can get some good shots of lasers and sometimes crowds, but if there is not much light, the pictures comes out far darker than what you see, and quite a few of the places I go are pretty dark.

What camera did Begize use for his/her pictures?
                        There are some great ones of people inside the 'clubs', people outside, crowd shots and laser shots:

and has he/she got any tips for taking the different types of shot.

as for the reviews thing, I think I will have a go at doing it myself, will keep you informed as to how I get on, if it all works well you could use it on your site.

Thanks

ps. Did you have a good time at GC SSS? & Are you off to GK GG on the 27th?

Comment

• Meirion
                          • Jun 2001

Begize has the same camera as me, Fuji 4800. He had a go with mine and decided to buy his own a week later! I think he might have been a little more 'in control' than me at SSS which might explain the difference in our pics
                          SSS was ok, weather just about held out but GC made a right hash of organising it. DJ lineups messed up, Carl Cox tent closed, maps incorrect etc etc. This did not go down well with the paying punters, esp when fleeced £55 for a ticket, £5 parking, £5 for a guide, £2 for water and the rest! Yes, I will be at Global... the thoughts on Gurn at the moment are that it's gonna be wicked. Look out for the Gurn.net ******** Booth if you go.. it might be there somewhere!
                          (whoops, fell off topic a bit)

I have some good pics from Gatecrasher at the weekend going up in the gallery today so check back in a bit. Remember those pics in the gallery are only 440~ px, when looking at the originals at 2000 px they look astounding. Good for A4 prints. haha, you'd think I was a sales rep for Fuji at this rate. PM me your email if you want me to mail some originals (too big to post to this board)

How much have you got to spend? I was looking at a Nikkon cam at a similar price. Can't remember the model no., but it was small and silver and had a slight purple decal on the front. The model below looked the same but had a red decal. It was smaller than the Fuji but the lens was quite chunky. Heard that it was good in low light, but was very slow in operation. I opted for the Fuji over the Nikkon because it had a metal case, was smooth (slide in and out of pocket easily) and was very quick between turning on and taking shots.

If you want small you could look at the Minolta Dimage-X. I had a Dimage 2300 before (look at all my pics in the gallery between Apr 2002 - Sep 2001). It was nasty! Dark muddy pics, pitiful LCD and sooooo slow. People would ask to see their pic and you'd have to stand there for 10 seconds while it loaded up uurk.

I'll come back and give you some laser tips some time.
                          Keep me updated on the hack!

Oh one other thing... the replacement for the Finepix 4800 is a F601 or something. It's mean to have a more sensitive sensor = better low light pics. Never used it tho.

Comment

• ukliam
                            • Apr 2000

Cheers for the info on the camera.... I have moved over to the dark side so was down at GC SSS for the DnB Arena, you think your's was organised badly what a waste of "the loudest drum and bass sound system in the world" 90k of wasted Valve goodness, was one of the quietest tents there. Have been to a valve night before and had my organs vibrated around my body and a full back massage from standing against the wall.... walk past the speakers and they move you away (no need for barriers here) shame I didn't get any of that at GC.
                            Also the Eminem lookalike what a joke and yeah £5 on top of the £55 for parking, what a joke, just as well something else made the night a little better thogh I had a great time, didn't check out the Gurn tent, will def do that next time .

I will be @ GK GG though, hopefully it will be better organised.

anyway, back on topic..... I am willing to spend quite a bit to get something that is top of it's range, basically I am looking for the best compact camera out there.
                            Best at taking pics in clubs, of crowds, people and the lights.
                            Got to have a quick shutter spead, some of these people don't want to stand still for long (I wonder why?) so pretty much need to press the button and have it take the pic right away.
                            But it has to be small and pretty light , I don't like taking bags into clubs and hate dancing with too much stuff as well.

Here is a tiny one, but it is not the best spec and has not been released yet, so god knows what it is like... think I would rather go with one people have had experience with even if it is bigger.

There are some reviews on here if anyone else is interested - http://www.internetcamerasdirect.co....ex.php#reviews

Thanks Again
                            Last edited by ukliam; Tue 2 Jul '02, 3:25am.

Comment

• Meirion
                              • Jun 2001

I heard about that valve soundsystem, wasn't quite sure what it meant at the time. You mean they were actually valve powered amps? No way, you don't hear of that stuff often.

That Exlim looks a bit gimicky to be honest. Appears to have a fixed focus lens; doubt you'd get particularly good pics with it.

Shutter speed and time it takes the cam to take a picture from the moment you press the button are two different things.

I reckon the best thing for you to do is to go to Jessops (or similar) and actually have a look. Jessops will price match on the 'net anyway so that means you can buy it from a shop but pay as little dollar as possible.

Good luck in the hunt.

Meza.

http://www.gurn.net/gallery/setindex.php?id=143 Latest pics from GC here

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...