X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scott MacVicar
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Dec 2000

PayPal Problems

Recently I sold a script to someone for $40 and they were sent the script to the email they gave me, they paid by paypal and i got confirmation that they got the script.

The next day i got an email from the owner of the paypal account accusing that it was not them that paid for the script and someone got access to their account. I understand that this could have been the case.

Paypal then gave them the $40 from my account which I had already spent the majority of and now my paypal account is -$29.98. I believe I am convered under the PayPal's Seller Protection Policy and am entitled to the $40 back.

I put in the enquiry to [email protected] and now i have to wait.

Has anyone else had to do something like this?
    Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

I think you are entitled to your 40$, it is their problem that another user's account was abused. Not yours. The costs are for paypal.

I think you can also try to sue the user for fraud, I mean the one that received the stuff you sold. They got it, so that confirms their E-mail address is working. Check the header of the E-mail account for the true host address used for sending. It will stand in court as a digital authograph. Contact the ISP it is from, and also the ISP who's E-mail address was used. They can inquire the fraud. What the person did was illegal by law.

This is one of the things I do not trust over the internet.

Comment

• tubedogg
      • Feb 2001

You are not covered under the Seller Protection Policy unless you physically shipped something to the buyer with delivery confirmation. Even then I've heard a number of cases where PayPal ignored it but without that you don't have a prayer.

Comment

• Skeptical
        • Oct 2000

The best way to get Paypal to react is by posting tons of negative comments everywhere. At least that worked for someone I know.
        Well, there it is.
        - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

• JoshFink
          • Feb 2001

Originally posted by Skeptical
          The best way to get Paypal to react is by posting tons of negative comments everywhere. At least that worked for someone I know.
          I disagree, I know tons of people that have had problems with PayPal. I think your out of luck to tell you the truth as PayPal SPP is spotty at best.

As stated above, they will only cover you if you shipped something and received delivery confirmation (signature, etc) and even then your lucky to get it.

As much as it sucks, I would chalk it up to a learning lesson and only deal with people you know next time.

PayPal to me is kind of like a rebate for merchandise, You hope you will get paid and most of the time you do, but sometimes you get screwed by the system

Sorry for your luck,

Josh

Comment

• Jake Bunce
            • Dec 2000
            • 3.6.x

pfft... that's lame. "some one else must have sent the money from my account! it wasn't me!" :megarolleyes:

Comment

• DirectPixel
              • Jan 2002
              • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Jakeman
              pfft... that's lame. "some one else must have sent the money from my account! it wasn't me!" :megarolleyes:
              I agree.

Was the account a verified account? Was the owner's shipping address confirmed?

It is extrememly hard for someone to hack into PayPal, unless they guess the password and email address.

It's most likely password guessing IF it actually did occur, since if someone broke their way into the site, then why on earth would they need someone to write a script for them?

Anyways, I really believe that you should get your $40. If PayPal doesn't do anything, your best bet would be to consult a lawyer. This way, you can sue the purchasee, and take a few slaps at PayPal while you're at it.
              :)

Comment

• IDN
                • Apr 2002
                • 3.5.x

after like 5 password failed trys, paypal suspends your account, so i think its BS unless he had some kind of trojan...
                Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

• DirectPixel
                  • Jan 2002
                  • 3.5.x

Originally posted by IDN
                  after like 5 password failed trys, paypal suspends your account, so i think its BS unless he had some kind of trojan...
                  And if he did, then wouldn't that also be a violation of a law, in addition to fraud?
                  :)

Comment

• Skeptical
                    • Oct 2000

Originally posted by JoshFink

I disagree, I know tons of people that have had problems with PayPal. I think your out of luck to tell you the truth as PayPal SPP is spotty at best.

Josh
                    You have to try hard to harass them in public. In all the forums Paypal hangs out at. Believe me it works. Can't go into too much details right now.
                    Well, there it is.
                    - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

• Skeptical
                      • Oct 2000

If it's a verified account, the burden of proof lies in the person saying the account info was stolen, to prove that it indeed was stolen. Otherwise Paypal has no right to make that kind of decision. They can get royally sued you know... acting inappropriately like that.

Otherwise.... any would-be criminal can jus set up a paypal account, spend like crazy, and then declare everything to be fraud, and basically get lots of free stuff.
                      Well, there it is.
                      - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                        • Dec 2000

I've sent them an email, the account was an internation verified member in india. I'm real pissed cause i've got negative dollars and they suspended the account i can't do any transactions they all just stick on pending.
                        Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• paypaldamon
                          • Sep 2001

Hi,

I do have to remind other readers of the forum that SPP does not cover international transactions. In addition, an international account can't have a confirmed address.

Payments that are suspicious can be held (in our User Agreement) until their authenticity can be established.

PPN actually gave me a really solid clue that there could be an issue (country shipped to was entirely different than the country the account was registered in).

There have been many documented spoof sites/emails as of late. These sites will ask for PayPal information on a regular basis, which the user should not do. Many people unknowingly provide these sites with their PayPal information, which will then give a fraudster a chance to access your PayPal account.

As always, please be sure to log in at www.paypal.com. It doesn't hurt to ask a question (or two) if there is a question about an incoming payment as well.

Comment

• tubedogg
                            • Feb 2001

What exactly is the difference between "confirmed" and "verified"? Cause, for example, James (from Jelsoft) sends me money and he's listed as an International Verified member.

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                              • Dec 2000

There isn't a way for us to find out the country which the user resides, so it wouldn't have seemed suspicous in anyway. I think Verified means that they have entered their credit card info, accepted the $2 payment and got the code from the statement to enter and verify the account.
                              Confirmed means they have Confirmed their address, at least so i believe.
                              Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...