IE7, Any news? (XML / XHTML discussion)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Babylon
    "<b>Hello <i>How are you?</b></i> is not valid" - those rules also apply in HTML which you probably know, but most people just never bothered to comply with the rules.
    Of course You won't find any invalidly nested tags in the vBulletin 2 templates, let alone the vB3 templates

Comment

i always code in xhtml 1.1 for no apparent reason. hopefully the next batch of browser uses fully standard CSS 1,2 and 3
      www.xixora.com
      Goldrush : A Soldier of Fortune Modification going for the GOLD!

Comment

then again browser standards suck and wont ever get it right. i'll have to wait 20 years for full css 1/2/3
        www.xixora.com
        Goldrush : A Soldier of Fortune Modification going for the GOLD!

Comment

Originally posted by XiXora
          then again browser standards suck and wont ever get it right. i'll have to wait 20 years for full css 1/2/3
          Well, that's what you'd think, but believe it or not ( ) things like IFRAME only became a standard in HTML4.0, but it was supported long before then.

There are many other tags like that but it's just to do with your preference to comply with the standard. If browsers suck to supporting only those tags which are the set standard by the W3C, it's amazing which tags you wouldn't have been using until HTML4.0/HTML4.01

At least IE has been better with CSS than Netscape which is pretty shady with it's support.

Comment

Is XML THE way of the future? No, but it is definitely a better alternative then HTML as HTML has become way too muddled. I mean if XML were allowed to drive the web (not that it necessarily should), we could write true web applications using the exact same logic we use for our application development (though we do this already in VS.NET).
            I think alot of people don't fully understand what XML is. XML has nothing to do with HTML. HTML is about presentation whereas the basic principle of XML is to describe data. The presentation can be done with css and/or XSLT. So the question if XML is gonna replace HTML is not a question. XHTML will replace HTML in the future. Hereby is XHTML an XML compatible version of HTML, so basically XHTML conforms to XML.

What's the point? Take vBulletin -- why would you want to send two documents to view the page (XSD and XML pages)?
            XSD is not necessary. You can use XML withouth an XML Schema document (or DTD (awfull 'standard') or better: Relax NG, which is a far better format than XSD)

But notice that XHTML will be described by a schema-document as well. Escpecially when the modular version of XHTML will be out. Then you can choose which tag-sets of XHTML will be usable within your document and even combine it with other XML formats (SVG, MathML) with the use of namespaces. Schema documents won't slow down your application alot btw...

I really do hope that VB will be make use of XML and XSLT in the future btw. Possibilities will be endless.

Comment

How do you work with XML without a schema document? Dunno; we always use XSD's to validate our XML (and tell us what the datatypes, etc. are)
              Matt
              Sybase DBA / PHP fanatic
              Sybase v. MySQL v. Oracle | Why I don't like MySQL | Download Sybase TODAY! | Visit DBForums.com!

Comment

You can do that ofcourse, but XSD is not necessery.... Leave you link to your schema document out of your XML syntax and your application will still work. XSD is just to make sure that your XML syntax will adhere to a certain definition (but you obviously know that ).

Comment

Right, but without the XSD you'd have to hard-code the definition in your application (so your app knows what the heck is in the XML document ), so if you add or change the XML schema (little s meaning the contents of the XML data) your app will break.

But certainly if you're using it for your own devices you don't really need an XSD (one would wonder why you're using XML and not a much smaller CSV file or the like). But if you're giving the XML out you should really, really have an XSD. Esp. if you are recieving said XML (to make sure it's all good).
                  Last edited by MattR; Thu 23rd May '02, 6:29am.
                  Matt
                  Sybase DBA / PHP fanatic
                  Sybase v. MySQL v. Oracle | Why I don't like MySQL | Download Sybase TODAY! | Visit DBForums.com!

Comment

IE7 is in alpha no way to tell for a eta..
                    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                    Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Working...
                    X