Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kippesp
    • Jan 2002

Ever banned an IP from your server?

Last night we had a poster that wouldn't go away and continued to post insulting messages. Since we allow anonymous access on our Q/A forum, they could post without an account. One of my co-admins, based on the comments, thought this was the same person who plagiarized content from our site on a competitor's site.

So with little proof in hand, I configured our HTTP server to show that IP our server down message. We felt they were violating our TOS and possibly their provider's TOS. Normally, we ban at the forum level, but considering the alleged stolen content, they basically shot their wad.

I don't like my solution since I could only get it to work within httpd.conf--.htaccess continued to give a 'forbidden' message. So I was restarting Apache many times working it out. RewriteMap may be an option, but that looks to require an Apache restart as well.

What do you do with TOS violators? Ban them from your forums? Ban from the website using mod_rewrite or a deny from? Or restrict the IP at the ipchain level? Nothing?
    Cygwin - all the tools to make Windows complete (cvs, vim, diff, grep, gcc, ssh, ...)
  • werehere
    • Apr 2000

I have banned many IP's through htaccess in the past years, but I always start by banning their username. Then if they persist, I ban their IP server wide.
    We're Here Forums!
    [email protected]

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...