Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hooper
    • Apr 2001
    • 3.5.x

I don't care if their products end up made of gold. They will never get another dollar from us. They have less than adequate business attitudes and I wouldn't give them an ounce of my time. They needed an overhaul since 6.0 and have been overhauling since the release. The software was terrible and they have worked diligently to regain their lost reputation. Whatever that was. Needless to say, I hope their professionalism and PR work gains focus or no matter how good their product they will always be on the short end of the stick.

Notice the two site redesigns..... They think that looks better.

People don't like change. I go to vBulletin web site I expect to see a glob of purple. I'll be darned if it isn't that way every time.
    Go to their site and they are continually changing the design these days. Their last design was better than this one. Their first design (2 designs ago) was better than both of the last two.

I hope they keep designing.

Hooper
    Last edited by Hooper; Fri 10 May '02, 11:06am.

Comment

• chrispadfield
      • Aug 2000

I hope you don't mind if we get rid of the purple for vb3... i was planning on resigning if we kept it (just kidding!).
      Christopher Padfield
      Web Based Helpdesk
      DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

• Hooper
        • Apr 2001
        • 3.5.x

Just so the site isn't redesigned all the time. It makes it look like your going under. A design every 3-5 years is fine.

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

This site (vbulletin.com) will always run on the latest version of vBulletin with the default configuration. I found it particularly weird when Infopop decided not to use a UBB forum to support UBB.
          Last edited by Steve Machol; Fri 10 May '02, 11:17am.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Hooper
            • Apr 2001
            • 3.5.x

I thought the same thing when I looked at it. It is weird.

Comment

• Millward
              • Apr 2002

hmm... here's a nice thing one of my moderators said about vBulletin [his name is unreal-] The second post i think...

Comment

• DirectPixel
                • Jan 2002
                • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Millward
                hmm... here's a nice thing one of my moderators said about vBulletin [his name is unreal-] The second post i think...

http://www.games-guru.com/forums/sho...=&threadid=100
                hehehe, that style is being WAAAY overused.
                :)

Comment

• Michael2
                  • Oct 2001
                  • 3.8.x

I like this comment... "The primary concern that has plagued UBB.classic is its impact on server load in larger communities. With Infopop Web Hosting that concern is completely eliminated. We provide an optimal environment for UBB's of all stripes to run!"

What the heck? So if you want an optimal environment for running a large community you should pay them for the software and the hosting? Great.
                  HBO Forum - Discuss Game of Thrones, True Blood, Big Love, Boardwalk Empire, and more!
                  Disney Forums - Disney theme parks, vacation, entertainment, and more!
                  iLoveTalk - Our general discussion forum.
                  VeggieBoards - The largest and most active vegetarian forum!

Comment

• Skeptical
                    • Oct 2000

Originally posted by Michael2
                    I like this comment... "The primary concern that has plagued UBB.classic is its impact on server load in larger communities. With Infopop Web Hosting that concern is completely eliminated. We provide an optimal environment for UBB's of all stripes to run!"

What the heck? So if you want an optimal environment for running a large community you should pay them for the software and the hosting? Great.
                    That's basically an admission that their board is a resource hog that most ISPs don't like.
                    Well, there it is.
                    - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

• Millward
                      • Apr 2002

Originally posted by eiSecure
                      hehehe, that style is being WAAAY overused.
                      heehee yeah, i know but i meant the comment was about vBulletin in general I was wanting to do a silver XP theme for my forums but I'm worried whether it will be classed as a rip of Sinecure's XP theme. Anyway back to the topic, i just looked at the price of their open topic thing, it's something like $299 a month? No offence to them but that is a big rip-off. The standard price of their UBB.classic thing is bad enough.

Comment

• chrispadfield
                        • Aug 2000

To be fair their UBB-x is not really that bad a price so long you don't mind being tied down to one host, because you could never move if they, say, decided to double their price. However, i am not sure what the differences are between UBB.x and OpenTopic that account for the huge differential in prices. I can only see the prices converging a bit at some point in the future I just wonder which one will be doing the moving
                        Christopher Padfield
                        Web Based Helpdesk
                        DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

• Millward
                          • Apr 2002

yeah..... all I'm saying is im glad im using vBulletin, maybe UBB is aimed at bigger businesses though i still don't know why anyone would pay for that open topic thing, i don't really see the point. My friend had a uBB once and it didnt have many features. Also there are many more pirated versions of UBB that I have seen than vBulletin.

Comment

• Me2Be
                            Lady Moderator
                            • Jun 2000

You know, I"d like to send IP a message from a former UBB owner who had (18 months ago) 90 members online at a time and it kept crashing. Now (yes, with two servers, 1 for php and 1 for mysql), I have over 600 users average during peak times, and over 28,000 posts per day (3000 topics a day). If that doesn't prove what Vb can do for high end sites, I'm not sure what would!

Comment

• Millward
                              • Apr 2002

exactly also i dont think Teddy Bear treats some of his customers nice

Comment

• samtha25
                                • Feb 2001

So John is not 102 years old?

When the top two executives of a company reply to this sort of message, you have to know they are very worried. Infopop directed the company toward the enterprise market and it would seem that that move hasn't paid off as well as they anticipated. Recently, they've been trying to re-establish their products in the "low-end" market. The Web hosting, while it does smack of desperation, is probably aimed at ezboard, which (don't hit me) is doing a very nice job and is an nice, hassle-free alternative for sites with lower usage boards and Web site owners without much HTML experience.

Obviously, vBulletin was a "clone" of UBB, at least in the interface and there are a zillion more clones out there now. (There's only so many choices for a Web board interface.) But, what vBulletin did to UBB was a classic market buster: it flew under UBB's radar with a transforming technology - MySQL/Php. InfoPop (O'Neill, in particular) was extremely myopic to the implications. Being the pioneer in any industry, but especially the software industry, gets you exactly nowhere, otherwise we'd still all be using WordStar.

While entertaining to watch InfoPop take cheap shots at vBulletin, the real threat to all the commercial vendors is from the "free" boards. Staying ahead of them is the game now with the move toward low-cost, relatively easy-to-use "web-site-in-a-box" offerings. But, the free software developers will catch up eventually and may overtake, I think, if they can modularize to work from a single user authentication service, which would give Webmasters the flexibility to combine the best modules for their needs.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...