Check this thread out at Infopop's board

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MattR
    • Jun 2000

It's interesting that Allen (or whomever) posted those #s of queries per page... But both times they were incorrect -- looking at the wwwthreaddev page @ the bottom for # of queries shows that he understated all of his counts... And he overstated all of vB's numbers. I can't imagine that he did that unintentionally, which makes me question his integrity.
    Matt
    Sybase DBA / PHP fanatic
    Sybase v. MySQL v. Oracle | Why I don't like MySQL | Download Sybase TODAY! | Visit DBForums.com!

Comment

• N9ne
      • Mar 2002
      • 3.5.0 Beta

I agree with PPN, we spend too much time on computers but what we get out of it is all this knowledge! This knowledge can help us understand a lot of things better and who knows, maybe one day you might see N9nebulletin lol.

Comment

• Sinecure
        • Jul 2001

I spend way to much time on a computer, but I get a lot out of it, and its something that I can end up taking to the next level and making a career out of it. You don't see to many people making a career out of bing drinking do you? hehe, just had to add that :P
        Board of the Month: November
        Websites: Pixeljunction , vBulletin.org
        Button Sets: XP and Aqua Button sets! FREE!
        vB Customization: My sig is now vbulletin compliant. Contact me to make yours compliant too!

Comment

• DirectPixel
          • Jan 2002
          • 3.5.x

Originally posted by jphilipson
          I tried ubbthreads, and after using vbb was not impressed at all. And I have used UBB a number of times. I know its not a very illuminating post, but just wanted to say...after using all three of these BBS's Vbulletin is the winner hands down. Now, I hate to say it, but XMBForum on the other hand looks like it might pose a serious threat to VBB. They just released ver 1.6, and I am very impressed by it. It is very fast, and at the price, the feature list is great. However, there are still alot of bugs to work out. Jelsoft better hire that kid before it gets any better lol.
          Magic lantern has a vew major security bugs, including a pretty widely-known registration exploit.

However, the folks at DevBB are currently making MyBB. The top-secret beta site with MyBB looks VERY good.

It will have most of vB's features, so it may very well be a real competitor.

However, as of now, the other competitor, other than UBB is probably Burning Board 2.

It is NOT a free board, and has almost every feature vB has, but also includes a very powerful template editor, with color coding, variable highlighting, etc. Currently, the english site is down in preparation for the english release.
          :)

Comment

• mattmecham
            • Mar 2002

People still use UBB? wow.

The most amusing thing of course is that UBB has only recently added an "Online Users" list - something every other bulletin board had about 20 months ago.

Oh, and they also forgot to mention that they turned away this "teenager" and his ideas for a PHP port of UBB - and have been kicking themselves ever since.

--Edit--

I wouldn't worry about Ted O'Neil and his comments. For the CEO to take a cheap shot like "vB was written by a teenager" speaks volumes about their playing field.

Stephen Hawkins is in a wheel chair and can't speak, but he has one of the most brilliant minds of our time.

As the old adage goes, "don't judge a board by it's coder"
            Last edited by mattmecham; Thu 9 May '02, 3:23am.

Comment

• Michael
              • Apr 2000

How old is John? I believe that teenagers can program, but I really believe that you get better with experience. Then again, I think Infopop's code isn't very good, doesn't look like it has been improved with experience.
              Michael Bray

Comment

• chrispadfield
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Michael
                How old is John? I believe that teenagers can program, but I really believe that you get better with experience. Then again, I think Infopop's code isn't very good, doesn't look like it has been improved with experience.
                There is a limit to how much experience you can have had with PHP. PHP 3 was only released in June 1998.
                Christopher Padfield
                Web Based Helpdesk
                DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

• Michael
                  • Apr 2000

Well I meant programming/problem solving in general.
                  Michael Bray

Comment

• N9ne
                    • Mar 2002
                    • 3.5.0 Beta

Learning early is the key

Comment

• HenryG2
                      • Mar 2002
                      • 3.8.x

I think the biggest threat to vB will be ibforums.com

It's from the creator of ikonboard, but don't let that fool you.

Comment

• mattmecham
                        • Mar 2002

Originally posted by HenryG2
                        I think the biggest threat to vB will be ibforums.com

It's from the creator of ikonboard, but don't let that fool you.
                        Baah, the coder who wrote Ikonboard sucks

I can tell you now that IBForums/Invision Board is not a threat to vB - it is not a threat to anyone. IBForums has no desire to start wars/arguments/problems/hassle with anyone.

There is no need to start drawing up battle lines, there is more than enough (cyber)space for them both.

Comment

• chrispadfield
                          • Aug 2000

Lets not start bashing people, one thing that it certain is that Matt does not "suck". They are, however, going to have a hard job to catch up starting afresh but either way, no one at vbulletin is worried because the more these other boards develop new things the more we are forced to innovate further. Competition is good

ok if that is you Matt then i missed the smilie but you changed your username so I don't feel so bad
                          Christopher Padfield
                          Web Based Helpdesk
                          DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

• SaintDog
                            • Nov 2001
                            • 3.5.x

Personally, I think iBForums is looking rather nice. They are one of the few groups of developers that I have yet to see start a bash war with other forum companies/designers. I think, upon release, other than a bandwidth limit being shot through the roof, iBForums will be a decent forum software that many people will use.

I will always be partial to vBulletin because I have been using it for a while and would not dare turn back to UBB - although, if I can not afford another license, iBForums will be right up on my list

(If the above post is from matt, iBForums creator, could you please let me know if you plan to allow BBAddons.com as a download mirror, as I would be more than happy to provide one? I have been waiting for an e-mail, at first Charles did get back to me, but then once I replied I have not heard hide nor tail - thanks)

- SaintDog

Comment

• mattmecham
                              • Mar 2002

Sorry Chris, I have changed my username "matt@ikonboard" didn't really seem appropriate anymore.

As Chris said, competition is good - but some people really do take it to far. They seem to forget that it's just a few scripts, not a terse battle to the death.

I've always maintained that vBulletin is a very good system - certainly all the feature requests we've had contain ".... like vBulletin has" somewhere in it. Currently, it's the commercial market leader; that's a great achievement considering it's youthfulness.

I've always been treated well by the vBulletin team and the community and I will do all that I can to stop any stupid nonsense spreading here.

It's probably a good idea to keep ibforums discussion to PM's and such - out of respect to the team here.

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                                Former vBulletin Developer
                                • Dec 2000

iBforums is also top on my list for "I can't afford another liscence for my new project" boards

I registered on iBforums but I got given into trouble for defening vBulletin in the Pre-release forum and haven't been back since.
                                Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...