Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ubbuser
    • Jan 2002

Check this thread out at Infopop's board

Besides the hype about an unreleased product (ubb threads 6) I found a couple of points interesting:

-- UBB.threads: this is a PHP/MySQL downloadable message board. This board is very scalable and from I understand about vB, it is designed to be much more efficient in terms of SQL queries (meaning- it will scale better and be less of a load on your server). UBB.threads 6.0 (currently in beta) takes things up a notch even more- most SQL queries have been optimized and it adds a template system that is VERY efficient because it does not place the tamplates in the database (significatnly reducing overhead). UBB.threads also offers the advantage of offering both linear and threaded display modes, and built-in support for many languages.

-- UBB.x: this is without a doubt the most powerful, scalable, future-ready message board on the planet (short of our more enterprise OpenTopic solution) and is available for FREE to any of our web hosting customers. While UBB.x has many great features, my favorite feature is the PopIt feature- which brings truly enterprise-level subscription options to the table. Users can subscribe in just about any manner to any individual topic, forum, member, etc. in multiple ways- instant notification, daily or weekly digests, IM, SMS, etc. The kind of power we offer with UBB.x is simply not possible in downloadable messagea boards.

One is that they claim that templates are not in the database and this reduces overhead on server. Is that a fact? What are they doing? Caching templates someplace else?

Secondly this subscription notification via IM or SMS if it works is pretty good.
  • jphilipson
    • Apr 2002

I tried ubbthreads, and after using vbb was not impressed at all. And I have used UBB a number of times. I know its not a very illuminating post, but just wanted to say...after using all three of these BBS's Vbulletin is the winner hands down. Now, I hate to say it, but XMBForum on the other hand looks like it might pose a serious threat to VBB. They just released ver 1.6, and I am very impressed by it. It is very fast, and at the price, the feature list is great. However, there are still alot of bugs to work out. Jelsoft better hire that kid before it gets any better lol.

Comment

• bigmattyh
      • Apr 2001

That thread makes lots of interesting claims, such as that vB was developed by a "teenager" who created vB because he wanted to clone UBB and port it to PHP.

It's implied that the vB support team doesn't respond to support requests in a timely manner.

But the most interesting one is this. The CEO claims that "[UBB is] the company that has created just about every innovation you see in message boards " But we also learn later in the thread that UBB is just now moving to MySQL and a template-based system with UBB.threads. These are probably the two most innovative features of a user-level bulletin board ever, and vB was the pioneer. FYI, UBB.threads is still in beta.

I don't want to bash UBB, but there sure is some unfair coverage of vB going on at InfoPOP.
      iComix :: web comics

Report Post | IP: Logged

Comment

• jphilipson
        • Apr 2002

Yeah I see that..."[UBB is] the company that has created just about every innovation you see in message boards ". While they may be able to claim alot of responsibilty for bbs innovations over the last few years, that is grossly overstated. Really, think about, I remember running pcboard 15+ years ago, and it had all the features of todays "internet" bbs's. Granted, it is a little difficult to compare that to todays script based bbs's , but still, it had all the same functions. All ubb did was port existing technologies to perl.

Comment

• ABLady
          • Apr 2002

I used to have UBB for two years...

I used to have UBB for two years... until one day, I decided to just simply give vB a try.

Ever since my first try, I noticed the vB is by far "the best" forum I've ever seen.... and I have tried many.

Of course, UBB will never admit that they are not as good as vB.

In my opinion, it would be an insult the compare vB to UBB.

vB is just simply THE BEST forum out there, and I say this after knowing what you can do with vB's "Style" and "Template" sets and so much other great features that UBB simply doesn't have.

vB.......thank you for a great product. Keep up the great job.

:cool: That which is obvious, needs no introduction. :cool:

Comment

• tubedogg
            • Feb 2001

Of course Ted is going to make his product sound best on his site. And obviously some of what he says is simply untrue. But let's not forget that for all his faults, he did pioneer the web-based message board that is so popular today. Whether or not he pioneered a lot of the now-common features is another issue...

Comment

• Mr. X
              • May 2001

my favorite feature is the PopIt feature- which brings truly enterprise-level subscription options to the table.
              lol. PopIt is horrible. Arstechnica which uses OpenTopic as their forum software has it, and I hate it. I have to use it sometimes but its cumbersome. Enterprise level? Puh-leeze.

I also enjoyed Ted's comment:

It was "created" by a teenager running a UBB who wanted to port it over to PHP
              Because we all know that only older ppl in their late 20's and early 30's are the only ones that can create good software. If your a teen you cant create anything, and therefore UBB is the only forum software you need to use. Ted acts as if he meant nothing by the statement too. Of course he did. Typical of Infopoop.

We do not bad-mouth other software here (although seeing 2.2.1/2.2.2/2.2.3/2.2.4/2.2.5/ and now 2.2.6 released in rapid succession would make me wonder as a paying customer if anyone is steering the ship up there - seems like they should be able to get it right at some point)
              Oh yes, because of course UBB was *perfect* in 6.x and never needed a single update. (man I need a bigger rolleyes).

Sigh. Im *so* glad I switched from UBB to vB.
              Last edited by Mr. X; Sun 5 May '02, 9:45pm.
              forums: pcfx.cc
              gallery: here

Comment

• bigmattyh
                • Apr 2001

We do not bad-mouth other software here (although seeing 2.2.1/2.2.2/2.2.3/2.2.4/2.2.5/ and now 2.2.6 released in rapid succession would make me wonder as a paying customer if anyone is steering the ship up there - seems like they should be able to get it right at some point)
                Was that really a quote from his post? If so, it's gone now.
                iComix :: web comics

Report Post | IP: Logged

Comment

• Fusion
                  • Aug 2001
                  • 3.8.x

Both these threads are completely irrelevant, since we all know vBulletin v3 will blow IPs comparable products clear out of the water. (No, that's not competitor-bashing, just stating a fact)
                  Toddler from Hell

Comment

• Fusion
                    • Aug 2001
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by bigmattyh
                    Was that really a quote from his post? If so, it's gone now.
                    It's found in this thread:
                    Toddler from Hell

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      Former Customer Support Manager
                      • Jul 2000

I know I shouldn't comment, but I find it interesting that they compare the number of queries in highly hacked forum (vbulletin.org) vs. a standard UBB.Threads.

Frankly I don't understand why people spend so much time bad-mouthing each other's software products. Seems to be an unproductive activity if you ask me.
                      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Fusion
                        • Aug 2001
                        • 3.8.x

After reading that thread it looks like they're awfully bored.
                        Toddler from Hell

Comment

• DVD Plaza
                          • Sep 2000

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boy Ted has truly become a bigger ####wit than I thought!!!!

Funny to see that despite the many many many many many many many many many many arguments over time for UBB to support mySQL that they are now finally doing it (and acting like it's a brilliant evolution for UBB, ignoring Infopop's refusal to do this for several years) - that, along with their ####ed attitudes towards customers, is why 99% of us left.

To then make claims about vB being a port of UBB is simply hilarious - sure it might have initially started out that way, hell I saw that for myself as I watched John's progress during the early days, but the finished product was certainly not that. I can't help but sift through the UBB source code and think that only a 6 year old could create such ####ed up spaghetti code - it is the most poorly written piece of #### I've ever seen and I had to do chronic rewriting over time for it to continue working under the loads we had. Yet he critises vB, a bloody well written system (though like anything there's always room for improvement), because it was written in John's later teenage years??? Well if vB was such a damn well written system compared to the absolute dog #### that UBBs code was, then Infopop should be looking at hiring teenagers.

Oh I love the bits about their awesome support - I remember all to well pointing out problems with their code, they would then post and say nothing could be done about it, I'd write code that solved the problem they said couldn't be, my post would be removed and yet another of my Infopop accounts banned. Yep awesome support that Infopop, banning me non-stop because I was having problems caused by their absolute horse #### coding. For UBB to allegedly now, several years later, work much better and now support PHP and mySQL which they ever so rudely would declare would never be the case is great to hear - must've visited a high school and asked some teenagers for programming guidance.

That Infopop thread is the most hilarious thing I've ever read, especially Ted's followup on his teenager comment - that must be one hell of a huge carrot wedged up his.... !!!! ROTFL!!!!!!

Comment

• heretic
                            • Aug 2001

lol, I remember when a 19-year old was able to shake up the MPAA a while ago, never underestimate someone based on age. Because as info-pork's CEO showed, even older people can be immature and well.....pissy.

I moved to vB because of UBB's lack of support, and inflexibility.

no matter what they say about creating a flat view, I think of Ford.

mercedes made the first car, however Ford made the first VERSATILE and USABLE car.

Comment

• rascal
                              • Feb 2002

There's one comment whereby "they" claimed that either vB or vB.org is running the site using 2 servers, one to store the database to boost the speed.

Is this somewhat a statement or a fact?

Besides, any companies who are confident of their products need not resort to bashing of other's product. Quite suprised though to see a CEO answering questions in the board.
                              Focusing on the Amateur Soccer Scene

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...