Check this thread out at Infopop's board

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skeptical
    • Oct 2000

Guys it looks like AllenAyres might be willing to do a side-by-side test of ubb vs. vB. Any of the developers or someone who knows the code of vB well wanna take on this challenge?

Well, there it is.
    - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

• ubbuser
      • Jan 2002

IMHO this is a deliberate stunt to get some attention as IP has nothing to loose. I think the fair test would be v3 vB vs. v6 Ubbthreads.

Otherwise the fair test is vb 2 vs. ubbthreads 5.5 or whatever version they have now.

Comment

• Dave#
        • Jul 2000

Christ IP really are desperate.

The webhosting thing is just one final roll of the dice for a company in terminal decline.

Personally I can't wait.
        http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

• chrispadfield
          • Aug 2000

lol, they call instant smilies instant graemlins! Is that because changing the name means it is somehow original or something. I guess "We are the company that invented just about every innovation you see in message boards and will continue to do so" includes name swapping.
          Christopher Padfield
          Web Based Helpdesk
          DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

• ubbuser
            • Jan 2002

Actually I started this thread because I noticed two things interesting which is the notification via IM or SMS. and the templates which are not stored in the database. What's the take on those features? Caching for PHP scripts is already out there.

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
              Former vBulletin Developer
              • May 2000
              • 1.1.x

It would be trivial to store templates in the filesystem but it is not something we have looked at or will look at doing. We need the abilities that a SQL database gives us to be able to do the advanced features that we have given to the templates/styles in vB3. If you had to pick one part of the system that has received the most work in vb3, it would be the styles/templates.

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                Former vBulletin Developer
                • Dec 2000

I'm sorry to admin i used UBB 5.x until i moved to vBulletin there is no way i was going to go to v6 it was ugly. They were called graemlins cause the guy who thought that changing text to images was called graeme and it was introduced in the early early versions of UBB. But microsoft have smilies in MSN i'm suprised that Infopop haven't claimed Microsoft copied them
                Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• Fusion
                  • Aug 2001
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by PPN
                  But microsoft have smilies in MSN i'm suprised that Infopop haven't claimed Microsoft copied them
                  Let me just throw a tentative reason why they haven't claimed that yet, tho I'm sure they have contemplated it:
                  IP whines at MS.
                  MS-lawfirm politely askes them to cease&desist.
                  IP whines some more.
                  MS-lawfirm files slander-suit against IP.
                  IP tries to counter-sue. but realizes MS hasn't done any slandering ( ).
                  IP goes belly-up.
                  Toddler from Hell

Comment

• chrispadfield
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ubbuser
                    Actually I started this thread because I noticed two things interesting which is the notification via IM or SMS. and the templates which are not stored in the database. What's the take on those features? Caching for PHP scripts is already out there.
                    The SMS is interesting. I have looked into this for other programs and it can work, as far as I can tell by two methods:

1) Send SMS to email enabled SMS. Ie the actual work is done by your mobile phone operator who gives you a SMS email. This would be a tiny hack of the the email functionality bit.

2) Actually send SMS directly from the system. This will require direct access to an SMS gateway. These are not cheap, you are going to be paying minimum of $0.10 for low numbers of messages (ie less than < 10,000).

It is possible they have got a big bulk discount on this for their hosted opentopic but for a distributed product I doubt it. If it is solution number 1 it is hardly anything new, I think there is a hack at vb.org that does it somewhere anyway.

For IM, something I have not looked into recently but again it is jsut a matter of piggy backing a message through the appropriate gateway. A small hack of the newreply.php and newthread.php files to get it to send an alternative message.
                    Christopher Padfield
                    Web Based Helpdesk
                    DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

• heretic
                      • Aug 2001

Actually I believe the instant smilies was first used by CWM.

Some things tha tI hated about UBB- I am on a linux server that doesn't like normal win PC format, so I'd have to DOS2UNIX 100 or so files whenever I did any kind of fresh install.

all templates had to be edited via ftp

the filespace was too large, with almost 200MB of cgi files..it was killing my server

Comment

• DVD Plaza
                        • Sep 2000

So UBB eventually added templates huh? Took them long enough, 2.5 years ago I had to rewrite sh#tloads of the UBB code to get the look and feel I needed - hence immediately discovering the source code was the biggest mess of sh#t I've ever seen.

I noticed on that ubb.threads thing they have thread ratings too. Seems like UBB has incorporate a lot of ideas from elsewhere, yet disregards that and instead whines everyone else uses Infopop's ideas... yawn.

Amazing that for a company playing catchup with what customers were asking for, and leaving because of, two years ago (mySQL and PHP) that they would be so up themselves to make the retarded statements about how great they are for a product that isn't even released yet.

Comment

• heretic
                          • Aug 2001

I don't know what I'd do without the split/merge/copy thread options vB has

Comment

• dabean
                            • Apr 2001

I presume the IM and SMS notification "feature" of ubb will work just like the IM/SMS notification feature found in opentopic. Which IP entered into a agreement with Odigo over or at least I think they did. The interesting thing is that unlike typical SMS services the odigio plaform supports receiver payment of SMS and has native support for directly connecting to providers networks.

If the IM/SMS feature is like opentopic then yahoo, ICQ, jabber, AIM & MSN should be supported. Last time I looked at how IP's IM gateway worked in opentopic was they had various bots connected to each of the IM networks to transmit the messages.
                            The bot method is interesting one as potentially they could do via a modified version of the standard clients (thus avoiding a ban for using a authorised client), however unless there is some bussiness relationship there with each IM network I be surprised if in the long term IP don't get
                            a) banned by AOL/TW (TOS vilolation)
                            b) sued by AOL/TW (ditto)

Hmm, after reading somemore on the IP forums I notice that IP are planning to charge some sort of monthly fee (that they appear to be undecided on) for these features as part of OpenTopic, so I presume, classic and threads will be priced accordingly.
                            Last edited by dabean; Tue 7 May '02, 6:28pm.

Comment

• HenryG2
                              • Mar 2002
                              • 3.8.x

Their attitude toward anything that is competing with their product disgusts me.

It bugs me so much on how they think that no matter what you do or what you say or how many facts you provide to back your thoughts up, UBB is still second to none.

Pigheadedness is filthy in the air there.

UGH!!!

Comment

• DVD Plaza
                                • Sep 2000

Originally posted by heretic
                                I don't know what I'd do without the split/merge/copy thread options vB has
                                Absolutely, I am forever grateful for the merging and splitting options!!!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...