Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dalius
    • Sep 2001

The Great CMS Debate

What is your favorite CMS NOT including PHP Portal?
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Well I don't consider PHP Portal a CMS system. All it does is reformat your vBulletin data to make it appear like a CMS.

However, I am interested in finding a good CMS that isn't tied to vBulletin. Disappointed in all that is available because I have been spoiled by vBulletin. Most seem to be derived from PHP-NUKE which I simply don't like at all. A good CMS seems very hard to find.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• George L
      Former vBulletin Support
      • May 2000
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by wluke
      Well I don't consider PHP Portal a CMS system. All it does is reformat your vBulletin data to make it appear like a CMS.

However, I am interested in finding a good CMS that isn't tied to vBulletin. Disappointed in all that is available because I have been spoiled by vBulletin. Most seem to be derived from PHP-NUKE which I simply don't like at all. A good CMS seems very hard to find.
      yup we're all spoiled by vB
      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• krs-one
        • Jun 2001

I've used both Thatware and PostNuke and loved them both. Seem pretty rock solid to me. Thatware @ thatware.org and PostNuke @ postnuke.org

-Vic

Comment

• chrispadfield
          • Aug 2000

Ek... people do seem to have difficulty with Portal v CMS. The portals sometimes include a basic (very basic) CMS but they are not CMSs!
          Christopher Padfield
          Web Based Helpdesk
          DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
            • Nov 2001
            • 3.8.x

can someone fully explain CMS as used with vB ?
            MCSE, MVP, CCIE
            Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

A CMS is a content management system. This content can be stand-alone articles, product reviews or even scanned documents that provide information to your users. This content is usually kept separate from any discussion forums and independant. If need be it can stand on its own without something like vBulletin.

In my opinion they should be two separate entities and not woven together. vBPortal at phpportals.com is not a CMS and neither really are programs like Php-Nuke, though they are more CMS than true portal software.

A good CMS will not force you into some whacked out and un-thought out design using three columns which is crowded and hard to read at smaller resolutions. In fact it won't have any limitations on the presentation, it just stores the data and then you put it into a displayable form through templates or page wrappers.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Dalius
                • Sep 2001

PostNuke is the best Nuke CMS I have used so far, but I HATE that Nuke-style look (as wluke said, the 3 column style)

I wanna see a good one

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                  • Dec 2000
                  • 3.6.x

jake lieks firefly's portal.

it doesn't do much for content, but it works great as a "forum intro page."

i'm looking forward to the vB3 CMS. my site needs content to get bigger.

Comment

• bigmattyh
                    • Apr 2001

Shortly, I'll be done with Phase I of the pseudo-CMS that I'm building based off the vB engine. (Before anyone asks, it's a custom job, which I have no intentions of making user-friendly enough to ever distribute).

I'm making the various inputs (by authorized users only) to the CMS behave much like vB, not only to save time, but to keep everything accessible and to keep the data-entry part uniform.

But while I like the ubiquitous left-hand column, there's nothing that's irked me more than the right-hand column for every page. It gets so dull and overused that it makes me think that it's a lot like writing a term paper and increasing the font size to 14 pixels, just because you can't fill the space well.
                    iComix :: web comics

Report Post | IP: Logged

Comment

• ubbuser
                      • Jan 2002

Yes we are also looking for a CMS software package but it need not work with vB for now. I think Cold Fusion is the answer from what I have read on other forums.

Comment

• ethank
                        • Apr 2001

Hmmm....... I programmed my own CMS in PHP. Its object oriented and you can program content object types and slot them in. Database structure is normalized and flexible to back search between content types. That means for instance a newsstory can use the same image as a song, and when you look up that image, you can find out that. Probably doesn't make sense

For a clearer explanation, its programmed so that one table manages relationships between other talbes for any given content type. So for instance a newsstory consists of a reference to a record in a TextData table and a NewsMeta table.

What this means though, since one table manages that relationship is that I can full text search the TextData table and find out via that one table all content objects + content types that use it. Very important for our deeply cross referenced datasets (songs, albums, concerts, bootlegs, etc).

The public interface is a component system that I programmed in PHP (that is built on top of vbulletin for user authentication and rendering). The page is an object, as are components on the page, indepdently rendered with independent caching, admin properties, ACL's and personalization per component.

I researched CMS systems for a long while and found nothing I could appropriate, so I just did it myself.

EThan

Comment

• bigmattyh
                          • Apr 2001

Originally posted by ethank
                          I researched CMS systems for a long while and found nothing I could appropriate, so I just did it myself.
                          Yeah, that's what I did too -- including the total normalization. It takes a lot more prep-work, but in the end, it's so much more flexible and manageable.

Comment

• ethank
                            • Apr 2001

Originally posted by bigmattyh

Yeah, that's what I did too -- including the total normalization. It takes a lot more prep-work, but in the end, it's so much more flexible and manageable.
                            For me it was very important in order to get that ability for people to look up song lyrics and see every concert it was performed at, every single it was released on, etc. N-level linking is impossible with most off-shelf products.

Ethan

Comment

• bigmattyh
                              • Apr 2001

Yeah, exactly. And you're doing this in a field that few have done before -- music. I'm in a similar position, too -- with comics. I think it makes your site all the more distinctive because you're able to do things with information management that no other webmaster of your genre can do, because of the vast amounts of connections and functionality that only a really well-designed and well-integrated database can do.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...