Forums are dying. What to do

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forums are dying. What to do

For forum owners like me who have been running popular sites for 15+ years it's sad but traffic has been on a downward trend for years. I attribute it largely due to mobile friendly social media. Despite forums being a superior way of communication for almost any subject I think the writing is on the wall. How can you convince people to keep posting? You can't. Does anyone else feel the same way and see the same trend? What have you done?
    Danny
    My Site ---->www.montrealracing.com

Social media is popular because it allows people to talk about themselves in short bursts and not have to listen to anyone else. And that is all social media has become, an homage to self. One big "look at me!" It lacks substance or depth, which is exactly why forums still have a niche. It controls the content and the message. Forums offer more latitude. It ad bombs the you know what out of people. Forums have more control over advertisements.

Think about all the things you hate about social media (or Google "things people hate about social media") and you'll get a good idea of why forums still have a place.

My own forum is a niche social media doesn't even allow. That's how I personally keep people around. That and I have a zero tolerance policy for imbeciles. Social media is nothing but imbeciles.

The other selling point right now is that social media is either selling personal data or being careless with it. Forums offer far more security while collecting far less personal data.

Comment

Go mobile with your site. Either with the Apps that are available or the Responsive mode in vBulletin 5. On many vBulletin 5 sites, the majority of users are using their mobile and tablet devices to access the site.

Embrace larger embedded images and media in your site as well.

Move beyond Forums with curated content using the vBulletin 4.X Publishing Suite or vBulletin 5.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

Originally posted by [COLOR=#0000FF
        DannyITR;n4412589]For forum owners like me who have been running popular sites for 15+ years it's sad but traffic has been on a downward trend for years. I attribute it largely due to mobile friendly social media. Despite forums being a superior way of communication for almost any subject I think the writing is on the wall. How can you convince people to keep posting? You can't. Does anyone else feel the same way and see the same trend? What have you done?[/COLOR]
        HI,

Nearly 83.000 members AND complaining. No i get it.... declining *is* where you're at & 15 years of observations, does indeed make me think.

I'm a new forum owner, developing at present 1 member & that's a sister who currently hates me. AND~ you wouldn't believe the number of times I've just want'd to *uck it. { try putting a D there instead of an F, if you'd be so kind } feeling however not far off the mark.

I *must* say though, that mY observations of all the BUSY Forum sites I've seen have like you been around for a long time, just as you have, i.e. before social media spotted its *week* link ~ NO SPACE for those *with* ~ long term * explorative nonsense. Naming them ALL as trolls, idiots or fools ~ as apposed to deep thinkers *with* something meaningful to say AND then using nothing more than 1 or 2 objections from so called *dedicated members*.... effectively said *uck off *with* an immediate ban.... following.

Which again *i-MUST* say strikes mE as very odd indeed, FOR~ nigh on all the *deep* thinkers I've met...... have all said their conclusions have come about because they got into T*inking with issues rather than just thinking about them, they have also BAR NON~ attributed those conclusions to others who have recognised that in them AND gone that extra mental step ** AND ** accommodated ...... their trollish, idiotic and foolish... explorations. { some if indeed not all of which could prove highly amusing if not interesting AND ILLUMINATING as well }

No wonder THE MEDIA~ saw an opportunity.......... I would have too, had i not spent my entire life in the space *between* MASTER ( ? ) Ignorant.

As for *week* link~ is that not the HOPE of every forum owner, TO get AND RETAIN...... weekly... active members.?

IT *is* mine !

All of which brings me to another observation any can make on this forum~
        Specifically the issue of Guests~ ( Fools ) being able to post on forums. Something most here disguise as a desire to get more members BUT~ *i* as you and *U* can see, SEEM to think & T*ink, not quite the same way as others... sadly.

SO~ to those that know~ How does one open a section of ones forum to *guests* only~ choice of avatar given, own topic titles allowed *with* 1 photo only allowed AND ABSOLUTELY NO ~ LINKS allowed.
        REST OF THE FORUM~ for members only ?

Regards
        MASTER ? Ignorant.
        a.k.a. ~ x.its.tongue.MOM Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 22-07-2017 at 11.21.png
Views:	44
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	4413067

NOW~ I Come from a very specific point...... in *TOME*
        One that goes back to *before* Fishies.......Grew *Toes*

BUT~ NOT to point before Fishies, recognised *point* ~To Nose
        OR *MOM*~Shiver'd AT ALL> D'Stars wanting to *own* ~*HER HOME*

Comment

I have 14+ years community with 23M posts using vB 3.8. The traffic keep decreasing every year. Social media like FB & Insta took over our audience and it got worse with phone app chats/group such Whatsapp, Telegram . The key point here is Google is dominating the world of digital marketing. They are going to monopoly this business where all advertisers will using their or subsidiaries services. The world of forum won't be completely dying but they have to admit to spend all their cost without profits.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X