Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • werehere
    • Apr 2000

Which Linux is best for a home PC?

I wanted to get everyone's opinion on which linux is best for a home PC. I have been looking at the new red hat's and am thinking of getting the Delux Redhat Workstation 7.0

See all of Red Hat’s open source products, including platform, cloud, application services, app development, automation, and data services products.

Is this a good choice?
    We're Here Forums!
    [email protected]
  • werehere
    • Apr 2000

Well I actually went ahead and bought that one, and will buy the basic linux 7 if I need it =)

[Edited by werehere on 10-26-2000 at 06:56 PM]
    We're Here Forums!
    [email protected]

Comment

• George L
      Former vBulletin Support
      • May 2000
      • 3.8.x

hehe let us or me know how it goes... i am a windows user but want to try out a flavour of linux soon
      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• werehere
        • Apr 2000

Yeah, I am a windows user as well, but I have a box right next to me with red hat 6. I am still learning, but it is coming along. I just figured it would be nice to have a more recent version is all.
        We're Here Forums!
        [email protected]

Comment

• Godin
          • Oct 2000

aye, I get that feeling now and then with Linux, new versions beat having to dl all the update packages and compiling loads o stoof (never did manage to make XFree86 4 work)

Comment

• MattR
            • Jun 2000

Originally posted by werehere
            I wanted to get everyone's opinion on which linux is best for a home PC. I have been looking at the new red hat's and am thinking of getting the Delux Redhat Workstation 7.0

See all of Red Hat’s open source products, including platform, cloud, application services, app development, automation, and data services products.

Is this a good choice?
            From what I've heard Red Hat 7.0 is still pretty buggy -- it seems as if every Red Hat .0 release is a bit subpar -- I know it was with 6.0. It usually is best to wait a bit and get the .1 release, but I think most of the issues were quickly pulled from the 7.0 release. Red Hat's RPMs make it extraordinarily easy to add new programs and remove them, so it is a great beginner’s Linux. Also there are a wealth of books out there (for beginners try “Learning Red Hat 6”, and more advanced get “Red Hat Linux 6 Unleashed” by SAMS). It's a great OS, but I think the X environment is still a little too buggy for me, so I have my other box as my personal web server running Red Hat 6.2, and my Windows2000 machine is my development box (no crashes, hangs in 6 months. I occasionally reboot when I need to install a new driver or game).

MacOS X looks excellent, it's built on a NeXt backend (Unix derivative) with a tightly integrated Mac OS windower on top. I have the beta on one of my systems at work, and it is neat to play with. I highly suggest OS X to anyone who likes shiny things!
            Matt
            Sybase DBA / PHP fanatic
            Sybase v. MySQL v. Oracle | Why I don't like MySQL | Download Sybase TODAY! | Visit DBForums.com!

Comment

• werehere
              • Apr 2000

Yeah, I already run 6.2 Red hat for my web server, and Win 2000 for my pc developement.

I did install and play around with the 7.0 Red hat, and it seems to have a much more stable GUI (6.0 was buggy as hell).

We will see, but it appears to be way better for a personal use than 6.0!
              We're Here Forums!
              [email protected]

Comment

• SAWolf76
                • May 2000

I just installed LINUX-MANDRAKE 7.2 a couple of days ago on my Windows 2000 Pro system and its grate. I got the free version from the net and burned it to CD's. Haven't used it a lot yet but it looks nice. This is my first step into Linux and I was so glad that it didn't give me any problems running side to side with w2k.

As soon as I get the time to play around with it I'll tell you all about it

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
                *--------* (IN THE NAME Of ALLAH THE MOST MERCIFUL) *------*
                ============================================================
                =================== Turki M. Al-Ballaa =================
                ============================================================
                I am a Saudi, I am an Arab, I am a Muslim, I am a Human!!
                @@ All Humans are one, the only difference is in faith.@@
                So peace and prosperity to all, may we all live in harmony.
                Salam! Peace!

www.arabianoasis.net
                <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Comment

• manifesto
                  • Apr 2000

From my experience, Mandrake is a good one to start on for a home pc if you're new to linux... just my $.02

Comment

• Aldreis
                    • Apr 2000

If you just want to try Linux, but are a little afraid of partitioning your HD, it is hard to beat WinLinux 2000, a Slackware 7 that runs on FAT32 ( that means: no separate partition required. It installs on c:/Linux ).

If you have a fast connection, just download it for free ( ~ 220Mb ), and run Setup. It uses your Windows configuration to recognizes every device ( from your NIC to your sound card ) and put a little Tux ( the Linux penguin ) icon on your Desktop. That's it. If you change your mind, just run the Windows Uninstall...

I recommended it to my little sister ( a real computer newbie ) and, in less than 15 minutes, without a single manual configuration, she was boldly surfing with the Linux Netscape on KDE...

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
                      Former vBulletin Developer
                      • Apr 2000
                      • 3.6.x

Thank you for the link! I haven't wanted to repartition yet, so this will probably do me well Hmm... 220 megs is going to take a while to download on this dialup.. Heh.

Comment

• JohnM
                        • May 2000

Originally posted by Ed Sullivan
                        Thank you for the link! I haven't wanted to repartition yet, so this will probably do me well Hmm... 220 megs is going to take a while to download on this dialup.. Heh.
                        I once downloaded 150MB in 7 mins on my cable line

That should take me about 15 mins

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
                          Former vBulletin Developer
                          • Apr 2000
                          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by JohnM
                          I once downloaded 150MB in 7 mins on my cable line

That should take me about 15 mins
                          Whoop dee freakin' do.

I've gotten 15k/sec occasionally over dialup.

Comment

• Aldreis
                            • Apr 2000

I already have a Debian in another partition , but, after writing that recommendation, I decided to have a taste of my own medicine, and install the thing...

And it did beautifully, recognizing everything, including local and net printers. The only manual configuration needed was for TCP/IP. Setup wants to use DHCP. I just click “Force Settings”, fire up Winipcfg and copy the contents to the appropriate fields. That’s it.

Exactly 17 minutes after I clicked on Setup, I’m writing this, using the Linux Netscape...

Comment

• werehere
                              • Apr 2000

I tried it on my laptop, but it did not work at all. Although it was no problem because I just uninstalled it a minute later, so no harm done.

I have a dedicated machine for linux anyway, but I thought it would be cool to try.

I think I will give it another go on my desktop tomarrow.
                              We're Here Forums!
                              [email protected]

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...