X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zappaDPJ
    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by MrsTiggywinkle
    Well I'll bow to your superior knowledge but I won't lose any sleep over it. I'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

And any other idioms I can think of
    I don't know about superior knowledge, that's hard to claim that when everything is still open to interpretation but I've been careful to follow the guidance given by the UK's regulator.

I think the important thing at this stage, especially if you are catering mainly to EU data subjects is to show willing by taking some steps towards compliance. That should at least keep the regulator on your side even if a problem does arise.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Here is the work being undertaken on vBulletin Connect/Cloud for GDPR - https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-18310

Scroll down and you can see the sub-tasks as children on the left. The implementation plan was developed by working with Internet Brand's Legal Department. Unfortunately, it will not be available for next Friday but should be in the next version.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Stijepo
        • Dec 2017
        • 5.3.x

Hi, more or less we will need to close the forum until resolution is found?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Stijepo
          Hi, more or less we will need to close the forum until resolution is found?
          We can't answer that.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• gsk8
            • Jun 2003
            • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
            Here is the work being undertaken on vBulletin Connect/Cloud for GDPR - https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-18310

Scroll down and you can see the sub-tasks as children on the left. The implementation plan was developed by working with Internet Brand's Legal Department. Unfortunately, it will not be available for next Friday but should be in the next version.
            Can I assume that there will be a patch of some sort for all the VB 4 users as there are many of us?
            Paula

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              Wayne Luke commented
              Editing a comment
              vBulletin 4.X is considered End of Life and will not be receiving any further development as far as I am aware.
          • Mrs.T
            • Nov 2007
            • 6.0.X

I like the GDPR acceptance that just came up on here. well done guys.

Is this a test or is it ready for use? If so how long before Cloud sites are updated?

just wondered as we would like to be able to give some advanced warning to members, some of ours get alarmed when faced with a strange screen at log in.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by MrsTiggywinkle
              I like the GDPR acceptance that just came up on here. well done guys.

Is this a test or is it ready for use? If so how long before Cloud sites are updated?

just wondered as we would like to be able to give some advanced warning to members, some of ours get alarmed when faced with a strange screen at log in.
              The banners and acceptance on this site are not done with the vBulletin software. It is a tool completed by the parent company of Internet Brands and should be across all Internet Brands sites. It should not affect cloud sites.

Compliance tools for vBulletin 5 are being developed now and I hope they are ready for the vBulletin 5.4.3 release. As we get closer to release, we'll provide more information.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Mrs.T
                Mrs.T commented
                Editing a comment
                OK thanks Wayne
            • XGC Viper XI
              • Sep 2007
              • 5.5.x

Hello,

I would like to clarify something. Regarding vBulletin 4, you are doing nothing to make it compliant with GDPR? Especially considering that there is a lot of sites that still use vBulletin 4. If this is true, that is a major problem that vBulletin could be at fault. Here is why! This GDPR has been in progress for two years and you did nothing towards it. Therefore, us who still use vBulletin 4 if get tagged as not being compliant to GDPR will blame it on vBulletin. I understand that there is no new development for vBulletin 4, but you had two years to make it compliant. From my perspective, this should have already been done. These issues should be a patch for vBulletin 4. For example, the privacy section of the profile where the user can choose who sees there information, there is no option to for none. In other words, there is no option for the use to not display their information at all.

I recommend that you reconsider doing an update or at least a patch to vBulletin 4. This is not new development to improve vBulletin 4, this is to meet a requirement of law.

Thanks for listening!

James

Comment

• In Omnibus
                In Omnibus commented
                Editing a comment
                No, you had two years to make your site GDPR compliant. vBulletin has no legal obligation to any websites other than their own. vBulletin is in no manner responsible for the manner in which you utilize their product. If you want to sell ice to Eskimos it's on you to make your site compliant with the applicable laws.
            • Mark.B
              vBulletin Support
              • Feb 2004
              • 6.0.X

There are no plans to update vBulletin 4. It is end of life and no new features will be added.

You do not need the software vendor to add features in order to be compliant. Features just make it easier. The responsibility for compliance lies firmly with the site owner, not the software vendor. It is perfectly possible to be compliant using vBulletin 4 (or vBulletin 3).
              MARK.B
              vBulletin Support
              ------------
              My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
              My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• th3gr3aton3
                • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Mark.B
                There are no plans to update vBulletin 4. It is end of life and no new features will be added.

You do not need the software vendor to add features in order to be compliant. Features just make it easier. The responsibility for compliance lies firmly with the site owner, not the software vendor. It is perfectly possible to be compliant using vBulletin 4 (or vBulletin 3).
                Sad post... yes you do need software vendors to make sure that their software is compliant with the law. In this case, IB dumped VB4 so close to the date that admins are left scrambling for 3rd party solutions. In fact, it appears as if IB own sites are not compliant with GDPR.

Last, since you believe VB4 and VB5 can be made compliant without an update, I think it would be good for you to explain.

Comment

• Mark.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  • Feb 2004
                  • 6.0.X

Originally posted by th3gr3aton3

Sad post... yes you do need software vendors to make sure that their software is compliant with the law. In this case, IB dumped VB4 so close to the date that admins are left scrambling for 3rd party solutions. In fact, it appears as if IB own sites are not compliant with GDPR.

Last, since you believe VB4 and VB5 can be made compliant without an update, I think it would be good for you to explain.
                  It's in this very thread: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...30#post4391230

Everything in my posts stands. You can choose to believe it, or not.
                  MARK.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  ------------
                  My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                  My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    • Aug 2000

This section of the site isn't a support area. We provide support in the appropriate sections.

Two of us run a Forum as a private club with members. The GDPR seems a sledgehammer of regulations that is likely to impact (?) many Forums like ours. I'm hoping it's not going to come to us having to close

I did some searching of the forums and blogs here but didn't see anything that answers my question of how GDPR will/should be handled in vBulletin. Are there any patches or updates in 4x or any other version

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment