Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gregory64
    • Feb 2007
    • 4.2.x

Sometimes forums are useful when someone does not want to have their actual identity associated with the comments they make online. Social media does not necessarily allow for that type of separation of identity. I run a midlife dating forum and website - and most members would never post what they post on my site onto their FB or other social media account.

Comment

• rhens
      • Sep 2012

adapt or die....

everyone has heard this expression, and it is 100% applicable to forums. the website i started with 12 years ago had over 100,000 registered users....and many times that in unregistered users. their content is pretty much the same today as it was then....... and its a ghost town complete with tumbleweeds today. todays user is different than users from 10 years ago....there are an infinite number of sources and outlets for every imaginable interest. todays user is largely a browser, as the phone has overtaken the pc as the preferred method of internet access. because of the exponential growth in situational websites, the user's attention span has diminished greatly....and detailed information regarding any subject isnt the holy grail as it once was. facebook has made most internet browsers idiots.

forum owners do have many advantages social media cannot provide, as noted above. you have to be passionate about the subject matter you're covering..... facebook group admins generally arent. a forum provides its users the freedom to express themselves in a manner outlined by the forum owner....essentially creating the community standards users seek. facebook groups are subject to facebook rules....no matter what. i belong to a facebook group in support of the los angeles lakers....a group that had over 70,000 members....and facebook deleted the group without warning or explanation....just because they wanted to.

today, many of your users will be unregistered readers. in order to keep them coming back, you have to continue updating the content on your site. your passion will show through, and eventually....your readers will see this and feel comfortable enough to open an account and add their opinions to the collective. even though the phone rules users today..... i've noticed h/p is still doing a good business selling desktops...so there are still millions of people out there using computers....but your presentation has to be current and relevant. if your goal is to have your forum look like a forum from 20 years ago.....you'll fail.

there are many voices in this forum who want to blame the downfall of civilization on vB5.... but the fact of the matter is that forum owners have to do more than just buy the software. as a forum owner, look at your forum and ask yourself...."if i was looking at this website for the first time...would i return to it and/or register an account?"

if your answer is no....you have some work to do

Comment

• BTMike
        • Jun 2011
        • 5.7.X

I think social media's such a Facebook, twitter and others have made it more challenging for forum type community to survive.

I agree, If you don't adapt you can go on the wayside, I also believe it has a lot to do with what type of community you operate. Mine is technical and specialized to one industry.

As we are all learning these days the big social media sites are not the safest place to be, its pretty much the wild west, no rules and no morals. I operate my community as somewhat of a safe haven, we enforce the rules and kick the trolls.

We have lost a few over the last few years, but in that we probably lost more of the trouble makers, they are out there on Facebook being kings of their own little islands instead of trying to run all of my regular members off.

My community has been in operation since 1997, Have made two or three software changes and moved to and from different dedicated servers and am now on vBulletin cloud. Along the way I have always been changing its look and features periodically to keep up with the times and keep it fresh. One thing that pushed me towards the vBulletin Cloud option was maintaining a dedicated server was killing me, I just don't have the time to maintain a dedicated server and a community.

It was time for me to focus on the community instead of a dedicated server and community. I spend a lot more time interfacing with community members that I ever have. I think that is important to members. If they see admins involved and having fun they are more likely to keep coming back themselves.

It does take a lot of work and you have to have a passion about your community. If you do it will show. rhens makes a lot of great points.

I'm staying optimistic for now. Is it the end of an era? I don't think so, I believe its just changing and we need to figure out how to keep up with it.

Comment

• braintrainnerd
          • Oct 2017
          • 5.0.x

Forums will never die.

Comment

• Gary E
            • Jul 2013
            • 4.1.x

Forums will never die, forums will just evolve, but they will still be forums.

What happens when you run into a problem no matter what it is, you go to google to research the problem. Thats what most people do in most situations, especially about tech related problems. And what kind of search results do you get on google when you research your problem? Its mostly forums you see that have the answer to your problem. Thats why forums exist in the first place.

Like I said, forums will never die, they will just evolve with more and more features and looks.

I have seen many custom forums that don't even look like forums at first, but if you go deeper you see that its just a forum. Most top companies still use forums, such as Alienware, Dell, Origin, Microsoft/Xbox, etc.... Forums will always have a place on the internet. Not to mention, Forums are the best for creating entire communities. I met some of the best kind of people on forums, people that I still talk to today.

Forums are not going anywhere.

Comment

• Prince
              • Sep 2001

forums are pretty much dead now and not used much anymore, not sure how anyone can deny that.
              http://www.ironmagazine.com - blog
              http://www.ironmagazineforums.com - forums
              http://www.ironmaglabs.com - supplements

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Prince
                forums are pretty much dead now and not used much anymore, not sure how anyone can deny that.
                Says the person with 3,000 users currently on his forum.

Forums can still be useful and they are used by a large number of companies and organizations. They are just one method of communication in a social media and mobile world.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Prince
                  • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

Says the person with 3,000 users currently on his forum.

Forums can still be useful and they are used by a large number of companies and organizations. They are just one method of communication in a social media and mobile world.
                  I hate social media, been using message boards since the 90's, but unfortunately its not the same as it used to be.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                    • Aug 2000

Message boards are a form of social media.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Prince
                      • Sep 2001

yes and I still run 3 of them:
                      Last edited by Prince; Tue 15 May '18, 10:11pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...