X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DannyITR
    • Jan 2002

Historical forum traffic and the future of forums in general

Hi guys,
    I've run a popular VB forum since 2001 and wanted to chat with other owners about their traffic trends. My forum has always had very good traffic. For the first 6-7 years I didn't really monetize it but starting in 2007 I've been able to monetize the traffic quite well and income has more or less been steady. Around 2009 when Facebook become very popular I've noticed that many forums including my own saw gradual drops in return traffic and the trend continues today. I've been able to compensate for this by having a blog front page which I can drive traffic to through Facebook and other social media. While this new traffic is directly controllable I find it difficult to affect the forum numbers in any way. They just do what they do.

I just looked at the VB built-in stats (admincp>statistics&logs>statistics) and found that a decade ago, users were creating about 10x the number of posts that they are now. I'm curious to know if other fellow VB owners notice the same trend? Are you able to check and report back? What are you thoughts on how to ensure forum traffic stays healthy?
    Danny
    My Site ---->www.montrealracing.com