X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdj
    • Jan 2009
    • 5.1.x

Computer Chat Savinogtoyoiu

I've been caught twice over the summer with bits of malware that resulted in me having intrusive advertising pop ups in both IE and Firefox. The worst of these was called "savinogtoyoiu"; I'm assuming I got it from a free download somewhere, although I've no idea where.

This thing was quite hard to get rid of; in Firefox I had to restore Firefox to it's default settings to wipe it out. In IE I went to "manage addons" to disable it but that did not work as this 'disable' option did not show. In the end I went to my c: drive, chose the program files directory, found the directory with the "savinogtoyoiu" addon and deleted it. I then also went to the program information directory and deleted that.

So I've got rid of the thing from Firefox and IE. However, when I go to the "manage addons" directory in IE, even though I've deleted the program files for this addon the addon still shows as 'enabled' in the list of addons (see picture) and 'disable' still isn't an option. I'm running windows 8. Anyone know where I go to to disable and get rid of all trace of this thing from my PC?

• Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Make sure to uninstall the base program in your control panel. A lot of people have been hit with fake Flash updates lately but other programs, including the JAVA JRE, are adding adware to their installs so if you're not careful and do custom installs, you can get hit with a lot of crap.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• jdj
      • Jan 2009
      • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      Make sure to uninstall the base program in your control panel. A lot of people have been hit with fake Flash updates lately but other programs, including the JAVA JRE, are adding adware to their installs so if you're not careful and do custom installs, you can get hit with a lot of crap.
      I have uninstalled the base program in control panel, sorry forgot to mention that. That's what I can't understand. I uninstalled the program from my control panel, and got rid of it from addons in Firefox. It kept coming back in Firefox so in the end I had to restore Firefox to it's default state and that killed it from firefox. I also uninstalled it from the addons in IE thinking that would kill it and it didn't. So I went to the programs directory and the program files directory, found the relevant directories and deleted them and then went back to IE. But the addon still shows under the available list of addons as enabled in IE even though at the moment no pop-ups are appearing. It hasn't re-emerged in Firefox but then I restored firefox to its default state. I was hoping to kill off all traces of it but I can't see any way to do this in IE. The fact that it's listed must mean there's some trace of it somewhere on my PC.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Check your Appdata directory as well. You can type %appdata% into Explorer and hit enter to get there. Some programs will install components there to bypass User Access Control.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...