X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aussiefooty
    • Nov 2008
    • 6.0.X

Just asking if there is an exact date that's all. Have heard this rumour going around for ages.
    Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
    Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

• crud2009
      • Sep 2007

I won't be upgrading Don't feel like dishing out $170~ for a new version. Looks interesting though.

Comment

• Super Cat
        • Jan 2005
        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by carntheroos4eva
        Just asking if there is an exact date that's all. Have heard this rumour going around for ages.
        There is never an exact date.

Comment

• BestICanBe
          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Paul M
          It should support upgrades from 3.8.x, beyond that is less certain.
          Of course you could do it in two steps, 3.x > 4.2 and then 4.2 > 5.0.
          So glad to hear this, we are starting a couple of new forums very soon, and knowing vb5 will support upgrades from vb4 means we won't have to wait until vb5 is released.

Hopefully the upgrade process won't be a pain in the butt, I wonder if the people who work in Vbulletin Research & Development department ever learn from wordpress, it's got this 'just one click to upgrade' feature. It will help to save heaps of time and effort in the long run.

Comment

• Yves R.
            vBulletin QA
            • Nov 2003
            • 5.6.X

Since vB 4.1.0, the upgrader is a one click to upgrade. You just need to upload files before running the upgrader.

vBulletin QA - vBulletin Support French - Lead Project Tools developer

Next release? Soon(tm)

Comment

• audiokid
              • Apr 2009
              • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Super Cat
              I agree and wonder why 5.0 would be released before they are finished with 4.3. Even if only a day separates the two.
              I'm assuming because someone is smart enough to know the code for 4 is not worth investing anymore time in. My guess is, they have a dedicated team of coders that looked at 4 and decided to dump it and rewrite it all over again. And 4 has just been patching it so we all stay relatively happy while they get 5 solid enough to release. So IMO, 5 is 4 done better. The big question is, will 5 be any better or just more hype, and will the main core of whomever are the brains behind 5 stick with them if or when all hell breaks loose with bugs lol.. I'm hopeful and will upgrade.

Best wishes I say!
              Cheers!

RECORDING ORG
              created for musicians, by musicians

Comment

• MrHorror
                • Nov 2010

I just left vb 3.8 only because of a plugin mishap. I am on 4.1.10 now, after upgrading 3.8.6 to 4x. If it weren't for that plugin mishap I'd still be on 3.8, which I absolutely adore. However, I am at about 95% in liking vb 4.1.10 now. I've gotten used to it and dig it alot! But if/unless something tragic happens, I probably won't be upgrading to vb5. Our community has been through a lot in the last 3 years. With moving from proboards to ipbfree in 2009 (we were on PB for 6 years). Then when they were shut down we went to jcink for awhile. Then from there went to vbulletin. Luckily, our regs are really loyal and 90+% of them are currently rejoined. Now we've shut down again after the plugin issue to get our vb4 board styled the way we want it. Once that's done, we'll be back up and running for the long term future.

Comment

• CozmicShredder
                  • Aug 2004
                  • 4.2.X

Yeah I'm an upgrade junkie too!

Comment

• jdj
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 5.1.x

I have an open mind about upgrading. The vB4 upgrade process is easier than the vB3 process was. The main difficulty when vB4 came out was the difficulty in skinning the vB4 site. Presumably vB/IB will have learned from that experience and being able to start up a new site with your existing style will be easy.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Super Cat
                    There is never an exact date.
                    Whatever the planned date is it would be best to make sure all the lessons of the vB4 launch have been learned and make it easy for anyone considering an upgrade from vB4 to vB5 to do the transition easily rather than just getting the new stuff out there as fast as they can.

Comment

• Loco.M
                      • Mar 2005
                      • 3.5.x

Originally posted by CozmicShredder
                      Yeah I'm an upgrade junkie too!
                      I would likely upgrade if I was running a vBulletin site
                      I like new toys
                      -- Web Developer for hire
                      ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• Super Cat
                        • Jan 2005
                        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by jdj
                        I have an open mind about upgrading. The vB4 upgrade process is easier than the vB3 process was. The main difficulty when vB4 came out was the difficulty in skinning the vB4 site. Presumably vB/IB will have learned from that experience and being able to start up a new site with your existing style will be easy.

- - - Updated - - -

Whatever the planned date is it would be best to make sure all the lessons of the vB4 launch have been learned and make it easy for anyone considering an upgrade from vB4 to vB5 to do the transition easily rather than just getting the new stuff out there as fast as they can.
                        I agree and when they set a date I hope it is already done before setting date. Nothing wrong with holding back for a week or two for unknown problems.

Comment

• swagrlykswag
                          • Jul 2012

It only depends on the quality of the software for me, and if my users will favor it.

Comment

• beishe8
                            • Oct 2005
                            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by swagrlykswag
                            It only depends on the quality of the software for me, and if my users will favor it.
                            How would they know to favor or not to favor it?

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• kittubille
                              • Jul 2012

Most probably I will do an up-gradation...but cost also matters.

Comment

• lostincable
                                • Mar 2009

Cost will be a factory as we are a community forums with no adds and no donations as that's the way we want it.

But if it its decently priced will come up with the money somehow.

Fairs Fairs we the VB team cops a beating sometimes for the release structure and bugs but overall my community is very happy with the software.

The only thing I am hoping they do is a cross login platform across multi domains. AND yes I know I need multiple licences !!!

Comment