Is anybody else charging for membership?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wanders
    • Apr 2000

Is anybody else charging for membership?

I've noticed some big forums doing it ever since the bottom fell out of advertising online. Martin & I are considering doing so as well, including a registration fee. Actually the main reason for the registration fee wouldn't be to earn revenue, because frankly I can't see many people paying it, but rather to keep out the trolls and the spammers. It's gotten to the point that people are leaving because they are fed up with it all. We have 12,000 members and a very active core membership, so we don't need huge influxes of new people (or so it appears). I think a one-time fee for registering should be enough to keep most if not all trolls and spammers from bothering, and those that do we can ban for breaking our TOS.

Anyways, just wanted to know if any of y'all have done anything similar, and if so, what was the result?
  • SaintDog
    • Nov 2001
    • 3.5.x

May be worth a try, it certainly would not hurt, you could mention it would go to help pay for the site, if you really use it to pay and bring forth thing to the site, I don't see why anyone would object. It is a good way to keep out those that have no reason to be there in the first place though

SaintDog

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...