What's your take on Infopop's Ubbthreads?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ubbuser
    • Jan 2002

What's your take on Infopop's Ubbthreads?

Hi guys what's your take on Infopop's UBBthreads?

I was reading their forums and in it is this thread:

Anybody big using Ubbthreads?

Ted the CEO says: "A&E, the TV channel, also uses Threads, as does the Internet Movie Database"

Then Michael of IP says: "Real Networks"

Then they give the URL of a large site running Ubbthreads:

What's your take on this software? I hope nobody will bash or else I think mods will close this thread too
  • Valkyre
    • Jun 2001

Expensive as hell and no where near as powerful or efficent as vB, does that answer your question?
    Need a job done? Get in contact with me and we'll see what we can work out.

Comment

• ubbuser
      • Jan 2002

Heh, well I just moved from ubb to vb and I am quite pleased with the performance of vb so far. I was just looking at what Ip is doing to sell ubbthreads, that's all

Comment

• Valkyre
        • Jun 2001

Originally posted by ubbuser
        I was just looking at what Ip is doing to sell ubbthreads, that's all
        Lying perhaps?

Comment

• Martz
          • Apr 2001

Umm... Ubb Threads seems very good from a users point of view. The link above is nice and fast, searching the forums is possible and just as quick as vB (if not a quicker display of the end results). The best thing they can do is to released features with the product - Ubb had to be hacked to bits to get even a select few features available in other boards. Hopefully the board above is running as standard, it seems reasonable.

Whats the price?
          HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
          -
          Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

• Thomas P
            • Apr 2001

Looks poor to me, even the most free ones look better and more advanced... just took a glance though
            -Tom
            www.MCSEboard.de
            German Windows Server & IT Pro Community dedicated to Windows Client & Server Systems. MVPs inside

Comment

• OnFire
              • May 2000

Yep no bashing of competitors here. Glad to see things on the old vB never change.

Comment

• khan
                • Jan 2002

it's fast but it looks ugly to me

Comment

• werehere
                  • Apr 2000

Also keep in mind that the ubbthreads forum you linked is fairly small, not very active, and probably on a bad ass server. That tends to make things much quicker!
                  We're Here Forums!
                  [email protected]

Comment

• Valkyre
                    • Jun 2001

If I remember correctly, UBBThreads is PHP/MySQL based, they are trying to copy vB in a way (Cue why it's so much faster then the previous UBBs)

Comment

• Craig Armstrong
                      • Feb 2001

Originally posted by Valkyre
                      If I remember correctly, UBBThreads is PHP/MySQL based, they are trying to copy vB in a way (Cue why it's so much faster then the previous UBBs)
                      I wouldn't say they're trying to "copy" vB. There is plenty of other PHP/MySQL BBS's out there too. I know vB wasn't the first. I just think that Infopop finally realised that there's really not much of a market for a flat-file database bulletin board anymore. I think UBBThreads is a pretty good script. I haven't had much experiance with it. I have the free version installed on my 'puter, that's about it. But if they clean up the interface, add some new features and incorporate their traditional IP layout, they might have something.

Comment

• ubbuser
                        • Jan 2002

I must say their OpenTopic product has snagged some big customers like Ft.com, Economist, Univision. Plus I know Mtvasia.com used to run a UBB site which was pretty popular (obviously) but now it's not responding.

Out of curiousity, how come Jelsoft has not snagged big customers? Not that I am criticizing the product, I am just surprised that Mtvasia.com would use Ubb 5.x over vB for the number of visitors they get.

Comment

• wanders
                          • Apr 2000

I'll bet you anything that jelsoft hasn't snagged the big guys BECAUSE they are so affordable. Big companies take that as a sign of low quality.

We used to use UBB. They had a good thing going but a lot of us were clamoring for sql database support, and they promised us it was coming. Well it did, but in the forum of OT. Ridiculous! Luckily we found out about vBulletin and it has been a very fortuitous switch UBBThreads is too little too late (as if they care about our business, though! :P)

Comment

• George L
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • May 2000
                            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by ubbuser
                            I must say their OpenTopic product has snagged some big customers like Ft.com, Economist, Univision. Plus I know Mtvasia.com used to run a UBB site which was pretty popular (obviously) but now it's not responding.

Out of curiousity, how come Jelsoft has not snagged big customers? Not that I am criticizing the product, I am just surprised that Mtvasia.com would use Ubb 5.x over vB for the number of visitors they get.
                            nope vB has some BIG clients as well like lycos.com Asia etc
                            :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                            :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• JamesUS
                              • Aug 2000

And we've had recent enquiries from some very big and well-known companies...but I can't say who

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...