X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DirtRider
    • Apr 2009
    • 4.2.X

Way Off-Topic What price for custom mod

I am trying to get a custom mod done over at vb.org but really have no idea on what type of price I need to put on this. So far I have left it open to quotes but have had no response to it, so I thought if I tagged a price to it I may get some takers. However not being in the USA I have no idea of the value of the US $ and would hate to tag a price that may be insulting.

So this is what I would like done as I suppose it will help to determine what price I need to tag it at.

I need an ignore mod so my members can ignore post and forum areas if they so wish. The mod need to have two levels of ignore complete and partial. So this is what I am looking at.

User - Threads
    1. Threads - the member must be able to completely ignore a thread so he does not even see it at all (complete ignore)
    2. The member must be able to partially ignore a thread. He would not see it in a what's new or any new post or thread search. He would however be able to see it as normal if entering that forum area.

User - Forum Areas
    1. Forums - the member must be able to completely ignore a forum area so he does not even see it at all (complete ignore)
    2. The member must be able to partially ignore a forum area. So he would be able to see that area if he were browsing forum areas and enter it as normal.

Admin
    The admin must be able to exclude certain forum areas form being ignored plus threads in that forum area. I am thinking of forum areas such as announcements and so on.

It would be very cool if this could also include the function for members to be forced to read threads posted in certain area by admin. Once again I am thinking of the announcements.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

I would suspect it depends on the amount of work that needs to be done and how much you're paying per hour. Programming prices range from $20 - $120 per hour. You'd have to decide on what you're going to pay and get estimates from people. Once you find an estimate from someone you like and have seen past work, then you can contract with them for that work.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• DirtRider
      • Apr 2009
      • 4.2.X

I think you also need to weigh it up against the price of the forum software and then this just being a nice to have mod. This is what makes it so hard to put a price on it. So if I look at the going rate above then I would thing that this could be a good few hours work so even at the low and lets say 5 hours (I have no idea what time period something like this may take) it would be around $100 US. So the way I see it I am actually wasting my time even thinking about getting this done

Comment

• Loco.M
        • Mar 2005
        • 3.5.x

Trying to compare development time for a mod, to the forum software isn't the right way about things.
        I'll repeat what's said above but bring the estimate to $75-$250 an hour for development time.
        For example, we're working with developers to build a custom mod for a network for forums, the LOW end of the bill is at $1600..
        -- Web Developer for hire
        ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• DirtRider
          • Apr 2009
          • 4.2.X

Yes but you need to justify it that way looking at what $200 US (I don't even remember what the price is now) for the forum software and having a nice to have mod that cost more just does not work out. Also remember these are just community forums with no revenue generated from them. If it were a commercial site and a have to have mod then yes you could start looking at prices that way exceed the actual forum software cost

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by DirtRider
            I think you also need to weigh it up against the price of the forum software and then this just being a nice to have mod. This is what makes it so hard to put a price on it. So if I look at the going rate above then I would thing that this could be a good few hours work so even at the low and lets say 5 hours (I have no idea what time period something like this may take) it would be around $100 US. So the way I see it I am actually wasting my time even thinking about getting this done
            Depends. You may be able to get someone like Dragonbyte to code if for you if you let them offset the cost by selling the mod to others.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• DirtRider
              • Apr 2009
              • 4.2.X

Yeah well the way we would do it when I ran SMF the coders would charge you for doing it and then use it as they wanted, free mod or sell it on to other. I mean it's just an enhancement type mod that plenty of forums could use and maybe would want to use. This would really be the only way for forum owners like myself to get these things done.

Comment

• M.Scheel
                • Sep 2001

Start low and up your price if no one responds.
                E.g. start with a 150USD offer.

There are a lot of people (like from India) which will gladly take offers in this range.
                Michael Scheel
                Facharzt für Kinder- und Jugendmedizin

Web: www.Kinderarzt-Cuxland.de
                Facebook: Kinderarzt.Cuxland
                Instagram: Kinderarzt.Cuxland

Comment

• DirtRider
                  • Apr 2009
                  • 4.2.X

ks well I had one quote (the only one) at $450 US but for a convenience mod and a small community forum it is just too far out there. So I am starting to think that it will be a no go on this one

Comment

• LouisB
                    • Jan 2010
                    • 4.0.x

Post an auction on something like Freelancer with all the details and see what people bid? Might be in your price range.

Comment

• DirtRider
                      • Apr 2009
                      • 4.2.X

Where would I place this?

Comment

• Loco.M
                        • Mar 2005
                        • 3.5.x

Originally posted by DirtRider
                        Where would I place this?

This is freelancer
                        Find & hire top freelancers, web developers & designers inexpensively. World's largest marketplace of 50m. Receive quotes in seconds. Post your job online now.

there are a few large freelance sites like this
                        -- Web Developer for hire
                        ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...