Anyone else getting spammed by VigLink? vBulletin selling my info?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WoodiE
    • May 2002

Anyone else getting spammed by VigLink? vBulletin selling my info?

I operate five different vbulletin forums, all of which receive spam from VigLink. VigLink will usually if not always use the "Contact Us" page of my forum to send a spamming email asking me to contact them and sign up for their service.

I've worked with a number of affiliate programs for many years now, none of which have spammed me in any way shape or form. Yet VigLink, whom I've never had any contact thinks I'd be interested in their spam.

Is vBulletin selling my contact info, or site info to these spammers? So far only my vbulletin forums are receiving spam from VigLink which makes me concerned what vBulletin is doing with my information. None of my sites are listed in vBulletins public directory either.

Anyone else getting spammed by these clowns?
    Debt-Made-Easy.com: Get out and stay out of debt.
  • steven s
    • Jul 2004
    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by WoodiE
    Anyone else getting spammed by these clowns?
    I have not been contacted. I use VigLink on one site but not another.
    Doubt that IB would sell our contact info considering their association with SkimLinks.
    ...steven
    www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
    bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
    "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• aussiefooty
      • Nov 2008
      • 6.0.X

Check your settings and block them.
      Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
      Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

Chances are their sales agents are targeting forums. Ask them kindly not to contact you.

Comment

• WoodiE
          • May 2002

Originally posted by carntheroos4eva
          Could you possibly be any more vague?

Comment

• WoodiE
            • May 2002

Originally posted by Zachery
            Chances are their sales agents are targeting forums. Ask them kindly not to contact you.
            Since when has it been acceptable to reply back to spammers? For all the years I've had email, the articles I've seen on how to combat spam - not one has ever said to reply back to spam emails.

All this does is further add to their known email address list, typically furthering future spam.

IMO, that's a horrible suggestion. Care to explain how replying to spammers is now a good thing?

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

I don't think a legitmate companies sales department are spammers. They're very likely paid to go out and find high traffic forums (via google, or a number of other tools) see if their using something like viglink or skimlinks and contact them for advertising options if they're not. Advertisers gotta have clients to make money.

But okay you're right, just write off a giant advertising company as a spammer and continue to get emails from them.

Comment

• TheNewOne
                • Aug 2011

[email protected]

Comment

• IBxAnders
                  • Aug 2001
                  • 4.0.x

vBulletin is not selling your info to VigLinks or anyone else for that matter - vBulletin communiaction typically comes from vBulletin and clearly labeled as such, managed by Lawrence.
                  anders | vbulletin team | check out the new vbulletin facebook app
                  Proudly vBulletin'ing since 2001
                  Please be my friend!
                  http://www.twitter.com/inetskunkworks
                  vBulletin Performance Articles:
                  Click here to read

Comment

• VigLink
                    • Feb 2011
                    • 4.1.x

Hi Anna here w/ VigLink. What domains are receiving these messages? I'm happy to look into it with the team to ensure you don't receive additional email. You can ping me at [email protected].

I can assure you we do not have spam bots sending emails on our behalf. If you received an email it's likely because a member of the sales or marketing team hand selected your site as one that might benefit from VigLink.

But with that being said, I can certainly let the team know to discontinue contact. Apologies for any unwanted emails!

Best,
                    Anna

Comment

• WoodiE
                      • May 2002

Originally posted by Zachery
                      But okay you're right, just write off a giant advertising company as a spammer and continue to get emails from them.
                      Oh cute... I'd love to hear what your definition of "spam" is than. Spam as far as I have known it is to be "unsolicited email" - considering I've never contacted VigLinks at any time for anything, than it's pretty obvious, at least to me that this is unsolicited email, aka spam.

Obviously in all your knowledge, spam must mean something other than that. Oh please do share...

Originally posted by IBxAnders
                      vBulletin is not selling your info to VigLinks or anyone else for that matter - vBulletin communiaction typically comes from vBulletin and clearly labeled as such, managed by Lawrence.
                      Anders,

Thanks for the reply. It just struck me as odd how it's only my vBulletin forums that are being spammed by this company and not any other of the forums, running on other software. Two of which are just as busy as my vBulletin forums. It's good to hear my personal data is not being sold.

Comment

• Zachery
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Jul 2002

In all my time working for this company, and other companies, we've always been contacted by other businesses, it may be unsolicited, but i wouldn't consider it spam. When asked they generally stop also, which is not spam. For me, spam must be unsolicited, and generally fraudulent as well, ontop of the fact they won't stop when you ask.

The fact that VigLinks is a real company, and that they've contacted you though a proper communications channel you've made available for contact, and want to PAY you for your time and effort. I wouldn't consider that spam.

Comment

• aussiefooty
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 6.0.X

Originally posted by WoodiE
                          Originally posted by carntheroos4eva
                          Could you possibly be any more vague?
                          I stand by what i said.
                          You are getting emailed by them so check your email settings and block them from sending you spam.
                          If they are members of your forum ban them.
                          Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
                          Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

• Lloyd M.
                            • Nov 2011
                            • 4.1.x

I think they just want money!

Comment

• Paul M
                              Former Lead Developer
                              vB.Com & vB.Org
                              • Sep 2004

Ive always found the delete function in my e-mail client quite useful - somehow I manage to delete them without any of the above drama .......
                              Baby, I was born this way

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...