Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • testerv
    • Dec 2011

server-to-server transfers

Is there a way to transfer directories/files from one server to another if I am switching hosts?

Thanks.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Depends on the host. Most hosting providers with cPanel will offer this as a service. You need to ask your prospective hosts.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• testerv
      • Dec 2011

If a host offers this service, is it something the customer can do or do they need to move the files?

Comment

• wda2015
        • May 2001

Do you have cPanel hosting?.If so just do a backup from there, download it and then upload it using cPanel on the new host.. easy
        Simple Straight Forward EU cPanel vBulletin Web Hosting Provider.

Comment

• donald1234
          • Oct 2011
          • 4.1.x

If it is just some files/directories, I would just download them to my computer with ftp and then upload them the same way to the new server.

Comment

• testerv
            • Dec 2011

I was thinking about doing what donald1234 mentioned above but then it hit me that some of my cpanel settings (like email confiuration) won't get transferred. How would I transfer all my cpanel settings?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

In WHM, the backend of cPanel, your hosting provider has a tool to transfer your entire site from one server to another. This includes email. All they need is your username and password on the old cPanel account.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• testerv
                • Dec 2011

I have WHM as part of my package from both of my hosts (my existing host and the one I am transferring to). Does that mean I have the capability to do the FULL transfer without asking my new host for support?

Comment

• donald1234
                  • Oct 2011
                  • 4.1.x

No, you need to be the cpanel administrator to do transfers. Vps and dedicated servers generally have cpanel with admin privaliges. @ $15 and $35 / month respectively

Comment

• testerv
                    • Dec 2011

Any idea why the File Manager in cPanel doesn't allow for everything in the /home/ directory to be downloaded?

Edit: I apologize for not understanding FTP too well.

Is there a way to FTP to the site at the present host and download the files to my hard drive THEN to FTP to my new host and upload the files? It seems that FTP takes you to the host where your DNS is pointing to so that means that I can only use FTP with one host at a time.
                    Last edited by testerv; Mon 21 Oct '13, 10:16am.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by testerv
                      Any idea why the File Manager in cPanel doesn't allow for everything in the /home/ directory to be downloaded?

Edit: I apologize for not understanding FTP too well.

Is there a way to FTP to the site at the present host and download the files to my hard drive THEN to FTP to my new host and upload the files? It seems that FTP takes you to the host where your DNS is pointing to so that means that I can only use FTP with one host at a time.
                      You would use IP addresses for the host URL instead of domain names. Domain names are for people. IP Addresses are for computers. DNS translates the Human technology of domains into IP addresses so the computers can actually find stuff. If you have the IP Address of any internet service, you can bypass DNS and connect to the computer directly.

For instance: http://74.125.224.72/

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• testerv
                        • Dec 2011

That worked for me Wayne. Thanks. I moved over some small non-vb sites to a new host.

NOW I would like to attempt to bring over a small vb site. Is it as simple as backing up the entire site via cPanel then restoring(?) the site via cPanel at the new host?

How can I tell how many databases my site has?

Comment

• Ckcrusher
                          • Oct 2013

It's simple.
                          Just download them to your computer with ftp and then upload them to the new server.
                          But you must be careful with your database, the best way is making a backup before you do anything.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...