X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • the Sandman
    • Jul 2003
    • 3.7.x

Jake Bunce Reloaded!

We've just published a new interview with Jake Bunce!

Are forums becoming obsolete?

Forums are not becoming obsolete. There is no other application that enables discussion on a web site like a forum does. But let's address the core issue that always inspires this question, and that is Facebook. Facebook is often blamed when a forum community fails. This is an overly simplistic view.

Facebook competes with forums in one area, user interaction. Forums have always enabled user interaction through online discussions, but they have never been dedicated to that purpose. Forums have tried to improve user interaction by adding social features. Compare that to Facebook which is entirely dedicated to user interaction. Facebook has taken that market away from forums. By no means has Facebook replaced forums. Rather Facebook has outdone forums in the specific market of user interaction which was previously a forum market by default more than by design. Forums still dominate in their intended market of online discussion.

Forum applications themselves share some of the responsibility. Forums are often criticized as feeling old and outdated, and they are. Never underestimate the importance of user experience. Facebook provides a superior user experience which is why it is so successful. Forums must do the same. Here is an example of what a good forum application can do to user activity.
    The Admin Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators
    Articles - Forum Review
    Interviews:
    KierScottJerryAndreasSteveWayneJakeFlorisLogicianErwin
    Paul M
  • Razasharp
    • Feb 2005
    • 3.7.x

Thanks - Jake was always one of my fave vB guys, helped me loads back in the day!
    What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

• aussiefooty
      • Nov 2008
      • 6.0.X

Yeah he was awesome. Haven't sighted him in ages.
      Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
      Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

• Jake Bunce
        • Dec 2000
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by carntheroos4eva
        Yeah he was awesome. Haven't sighted him in ages.
        I disappeared from the support forum about two years ago. I used to be much more active here. But when vB4 was released I found myself overwhelmed with upgrade services. I didn't have time for the support forum anymore. The volume of upgrades decreased slowly, but those vB4 upgrades remained a major time sink for me up until my departure.

Comment

• aussiefooty
          • Nov 2008
          • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
          I disappeared from the support forum about two years ago. I used to be much more active here. But when vB4 was released I found myself overwhelmed with upgrade services. I didn't have time for the support forum anymore. The volume of upgrades decreased slowly, but those vB4 upgrades remained a major time sink for me up until my departure.
          Speak of the devil...
          Fair enough Jake.
          Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
          Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...