X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Personally I prefer Chrome these days, despite knowing that I am contributing to the global prostitution of the internet.

Opera is probably second favourite for me.

Firefox has gone all cacky and I actually prefer IE9 to Firefox now.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• traen
      • Oct 2009
      • 4.1.x

People still use internet explorer???

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

Originally posted by traen
        Yes. The vast majority, as it so happens. Rightly or wrongly that's how it is.

As forum owners, unless we run some sort of geeky tech board or one with unusual demographics, we'd do well to remember this.

I've even seen sites that hit IE users with "you are not allowed to browse this site on IE, you need to change your browser". OK, I'll go somewhere else then, I certainly won't be preached to by any ruddy website.

That said, I don't use IE. I'm speaking hypothetically here.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• AWS
          • Apr 2000
          • 5.2.x

Originally posted by Alfa1
          IE9 has overly anal security functionality which blocks various javascripts and jquery code, if the security settings are set to the 'normal-high' mode. Many javascript scripts do not work at all. Just view a attachment thumbnail on vb4. Instead of viewing the image on the same page, it opes a new page. A lot of users run 'normal-high' security settings.

My site serves all data encrypted (SSL), but serves forum image files unencrypted. (theres little sense encrypting these) IE9 screams bloody murder, warning that my site is unsafe and users need to click away a popup with very worrisome text on every page. Only advanced users will be able to find the settings to correct this.

There is a little circular icon next to the reload icon in the IE9 address bar to shut off tracking protection on a per site basis. Click that icon, select yes to the popup asking to turn off tracking protection. The site will reload and the problems you speak of will go away.

You can also turn it off globally, useful if you don't want to block ads or any possible malicious content, by selecting the tools icon and editing tracking protection settings.
          Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

• Alfa1
            • Dec 2005
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by AWS
            There is a little circular icon next to the reload icon in the IE9 address bar to shut off tracking protection on a per site basis. Click that icon, select yes to the popup asking to turn off tracking protection. The site will reload and the problems you speak of will go away.

You can also turn it off globally, useful if you don't want to block ads or any possible malicious content, by selecting the tools icon and editing tracking protection settings.
            I dont see that icon in IE9. And I'll bet that most users will not spot it either.
            I buy 420 forums

Comment

• AWS
              • Apr 2000
              • 5.2.x

Originally posted by Alfa1
              I dont see that icon in IE9. And I'll bet that most users will not spot it either.
              To the right in the address bar there is a search icon. Next to it is a circle icon with a line through it. That turns off tracking protection. Next to that is the reload page icon. Do you and your users ever reload a page? Be hard to miss not seeing it since you'd more than likely look right past it to reload the page.

Comment

• Alfa1
                • Dec 2005
                • 3.8.x

There is nothing between the address bar, the search icon and the refresh button. But I have never used tracking options.
                I buy 420 forums

Comment

• AWS
                  • Apr 2000
                  • 5.2.x

You must have turned it off at some point because it's on by default.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tracking-ie.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	3682393

The blue circle controls turning on or off per website or webpage.

Comment

• Alfa1
                    • Dec 2005
                    • 3.8.x

I see. That seems like another annoying IE9 feature. IE9 does well protecting users from features.
                    I buy 420 forums

Comment

• cbiweb
                      • Apr 2004
                      • 4.1.x

Originally posted by traen
                      Originally posted by Mark.B
                      Yes. The vast majority, as it so happens.
                      But it's dying just the same. As of May 2011, IE is now used by less than 55% of Web users.

This is the first time since 1998 that it's been so low.
                      ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

• Zachery
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Jul 2002

Yeap, 54% is less than 55%. Shame they still make up more collectively than any other browser combined.

Comment

• cbiweb
                          • Apr 2004
                          • 4.1.x

...for the time being.
                          ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

• AWS
                            • Apr 2000
                            • 5.2.x

I remember when Mosaic was the browser of choice. Then Netscape was king. Along came IE based on Mosaic and it's been king for a long time. As long as regular Joe's use Windows it will be a long time before you see any other browser topple it. When it does get topped it will not be by Chrome, Firefox or any other browser. It will be whatever smartphones or tablets use to access the web. The days of the desltop are coming to an end.

I wonder if anyone who touts the demise of IE has any figures on what percentage of IE's loss is attributed to mobile devices. My bet is while it looks like Chrome and Firefox are gaining marketshare it's more than likely the figures are skewed because of mobile devices eroding the desktop landscape.

Comment

• motowebmaster
                              • Mar 2006
                              • 3.5.x

In most cases a community's peers will jump on the chance to recommend browsers, and I get involved only when asked. These days, assuming that users will stick to traditional PC computers is an unknown. I'm checking my sites more often from thin-clients, mobile devices, and TV Media gadgets.
                              Shawn

Comment

• Ramsesx
                                • Aug 2005
                                • 3.8.x

Don't get it why people don't support free and independent browsing solutions, in fact Firefox and Opera.
                                Chrome made by Google, you all know what Google is? They are the monopolist in world wide web advertising. IE, Microsoft, Bing you know them too, why do you think they are offering their free browser? Safari, the apple "no boobs and no independent apps" guys.
                                I can understand the average joe web surfer if he only knows the IE crap, but come on, from a forum administrator we can expect a better knowledge about how things work?
                                And a last word to the IE crap, every time I take a look at the average Joe's IE, in most cases there are a lot of crappy - self installed - browser add-ons in their menu bar stretching over the half browser window. I really don't get why on earth are people using this most worst piece of web technology.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...