• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Razasharp
    • Feb 2005
    • 3.7.x

Kiss goodbye to IE!

Knew that would get your attention!

Anyway, I'm running announcements on all my forums telling people to do just that, and am recommending Chrome as the best replacement. Mainly, because it's been very quick to adopt standards, and because it's secure, not bloated and the browser that probably makes the best replacement to existing IE users (no plugins - no need to learn new stuff etc).

Feel free to use these images on your own forums (don't hotlink tho - they will be removed later) - I've put them on all my sites where IE users are over 30%

They link through to my announcements, but feel free to link directly to Google's own 'Why Chrome' page if you prefer: http://bit.ly/mCkG8e

Please note this is not meant to be a 'which browser is best thread/war' (Opera is the best! lol) it's just there for people who want to get their users away from IE and on to Chrome.

Please feel free to cross post!
    Last edited by Razasharp; Sat 4 Jun '11, 10:31am.
    What's Special About Ruby on Rails?
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Kiss goodbye to your members if you preach to them about browser use.

Focus on getting people on up to date browsers, rather than particular browsers.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Razasharp
      • Feb 2005
      • 3.7.x

I doubt anyone will stop using the site just because I recommend a certain browser.

Of course you should take your demographics into account, too - I have a gaming site where I won't post it (and neither would I need to). On the other sites where IE use is over 30% I can see that much of our target audience could probably do (and might appreciate) the pointer.

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

There isn't an issue with people using IE8 or above, they are perfectly fine.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------

Comment

• Leadcrow
          • Oct 2010

'This site works best on modern browsers' (with example linked if desired) is perfectly fine.

Comment

• Razasharp
            • Feb 2005
            • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
            There isn't an issue with people using IE8 or above, they are perfectly fine.
            You think? http://html5readiness.com

Originally posted by Leadcrow
            'This site works best on modern browsers' (with example linked if desired) is perfectly fine.
            Only problem with that is that some people think 'new' version = modern. As demonstrated by Mark.B above.

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Razasharp
              You think? http://html5readiness.com

Only problem with that is that some people think 'new' version = modern. As demonstrated by Mark.B above.
              You're site runs entirely on HTML5 and unfinished/unspeced features?

That site doesn't work well/at all in IE9 and firefox. I guess it works okaysih in chrome and opera, but even then they have bugs on that site.

Tracks the Usage Share of Search Engines, Browsers and Operating Systems including Mobile from over 5 billion monthly page views.

Designing your site around unfiinished, unspeced features that have been implimented early, and not correctly across all browsers makes website development a true pain in the ass.
              Until the spec is nearly finalized and finished, implimenting the feature is a bit silly. Our CSS and HTMl gets bloated with special browser only classes.
              Last edited by Zachery; Sat 4 Jun '11, 11:45am.

Comment

• Mark.B
                vBulletin Support
                • Feb 2004
                • 6.0.X

My site is entirely built on vBulletin and works absolutely perfectly in IE8.

The only aspect that doesn't is the rounded corners and shadows, because IE8 can't do those. Everything else is absolutely spot on, why would I want to harass members who use IE?
                MARK.B
                vBulletin Support
                ------------

Comment

• Razasharp
                  • Feb 2005
                  • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Zachery
                  You're site runs entirely on HTML5 and unfinished/unspeced features?
                  No, of course not. We build sites taking target audience (and their browsers) into account. Most of my sites work perfectly (and not just degrade nicely) on IE6 for example (although we can probably stop supporting it now).

However (and the whole point of this post/what I'm doing) is I want to see (more) people adopt (proper) modern browsers, hence why I am voicing my opinion and recommendation on this matter - to my users (in the hope they make the switch - and many seem to have done just that).

Comment

• Zachery
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Jul 2002

IE9, Chrome, Firefox 4, Opera are all arguably modern browsers.

Comment

• AWS
                      • Apr 2000
                      • 5.2.x

And IE 10 will be completely html 5 compliant.
                      Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

• Ramsesx
                        • Aug 2005
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Razasharp
                        Anyway, I'm running announcements on all my forums telling people to do just that, and am recommending Chrome as the best replacement. Mainly, because it's been very quick to adopt standards, and because it's secure, not bloated and the browser that probably makes the best replacement to existing IE users (no plugins - no need to learn new stuff etc).
                        Some time ago I had a "we recommend opera" on the footer. But I doubt there have been many users changing the browser because of this.
                        Never would I recommend Chrome, google is like cancer spreading over the whole web. Recommend your users Opera, they are a underdog and worth every support.

Comment

• Razasharp
                          • Feb 2005
                          • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Ramsesx
                          Some time ago I had a "we recommend opera" on the footer. But I doubt there have been many users changing the browser because of this.
                          Never would I recommend Chrome, google is like cancer spreading over the whole web. Recommend your users Opera, they are a underdog and worth every support.
                          Opera is actually my preferred browser :-) But it's a little too complex for most users coming from IE - and it's not adopting standards as fast. Chrome is slim, fast, secure and all things considered (shortcomings of other browsers/it's own plus points and who we're trying to get to switch and I guess people would be more inclined to switch to a 'google' product) makes it a perfect replacement for IE.

Comment

• Razasharp
                            • Feb 2005
                            • 3.7.x

Just an update to let you know this is going very well!

Only 2 people said they can't change as IE is what's used at work and and 1 person saying they like IE, everyone else has either already switched to Chrome, or is switching to Chrome, or has already switched to Opera, firefox or safari (or some other browser).

And this is just what's happening now - the banner will stay up and point to the same thread, so in time more and more people will switch. I'll also update the thread with common questions and add step by step installation instructions, as some people are not comfortable installing things.

Overall I think it's been a success!

Comment

• Alfa1
                              • Dec 2005
                              • 3.8.x

IE9 has overly anal security functionality which blocks various javascripts and jquery code, if the security settings are set to the 'normal-high' mode. Many javascript scripts do not work at all. Just view a attachment thumbnail on vb4. Instead of viewing the image on the same page, it opes a new page. A lot of users run 'normal-high' security settings.

My site serves all data encrypted (SSL), but serves forum image files unencrypted. (theres little sense encrypting these) IE9 screams bloody murder, warning that my site is unsafe and users need to click away a popup with very worrisome text on every page. Only advanced users will be able to find the settings to correct this.
                              I buy 420 forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...