• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Outlier
    • May 2011
    • 4.1.x

Spam Bots WOW!!

Hi,
    Complete newbie to vBulletin. Purchased and loaded 4.1.2 to Gator Hosting about one month ago and didn't add any content or check any settings. Looked at it for the first time yesterday and I had 494 Users, 24 threads and 77 posts. The majority of the posts were for pharmacies in Canada, but a few others were hawking software and other mechandise. I've been reading the manual and have already made note how to ensure a real person is signing up, but does anyone have a Security Configuration Checklist, such as we use on Servers to ensure configuration best practices. I downloaded 4.1.3 yesterday and instad of performing an upgrade, I'm think of wiping out 4.1.2 and starting over and in the porcess hopefully eliminating my 494 Bot generated users.

Any advice would be appreaciated.

Craig
  • Trevor Hannant
    vBulletin Support
    • Aug 2002
    • 5.7.X

Please see this thread for the things you can do to fight spam and registration bots:

Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• beishe8
      • Oct 2005
      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Outlier
      I downloaded 4.1.3 yesterday and instad of performing an upgrade, I'm think of wiping out 4.1.2 and starting over and in the porcess hopefully eliminating my 494 Bot generated users
      Do that,nothing to lose.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• steven s
        • Jul 2004
        • 3.8.x

I really like vbStopForumSpam.
        Administrative and Maintenance Tools - vbStopForumSpam - known spammer lookup for new registrations vBulletin 3.6 Add-ons

Very few spammers get through.
        ...steven
        www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
        bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
        "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• uninvited13th
          • May 2011
          • 4.1.x

recaptcha plus custom questions, I think you're fine..

Comment

• HMBeaty
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by uninvited13th
            Recaptcha is a waste as it doesn't work anymore, or correctly for that matter
            "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time!"
            "It's important to only think about what you desire, not what you fear to achieve your ultimate goal!!"
            "When doors close, tear down the walls. Never give up!"

Comment

• beishe8
              • Oct 2005
              • 4.2.X

Without modification you cannot use them together.

Comment

• Outlier
                • May 2011
                • 4.1.x

Thanks to all who responded. I'm going to start with a fresh install and implement the tools suggsted.

Craig

Comment

• Tekmiester
                  • Apr 2008

That mod is incompatible with the mobile suite, so be careful.

Comment

• Metal Head
                    • May 2011

I've seen a number of forums have trouble with spam bots and spammers recently. They never quit do they?

Comment

• beishe8
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Metal Head
                      I've seen a number of forums have trouble with spam bots and spammers recently. They never quit do they?
                      No,they don't.

Comment

• Mark Hewitt
                        • Apr 2000
                        • 4.1.x

The problem is that the spam bots aren't *just* bots, they have a human element to them too, no doubt most of the donkey work is done by scripting but then it's bounced back to a real human just to fill in certain parts. Even with email verifications and question & answer we still get 10+ spammers a day registering.

I remember back when I started in 2000, people spamming forums was almost unheard of, even turning on email verification was a big step!
                        Motorsport Forums

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Mark Hewitt
                          The problem is that the spam bots aren't *just* bots, they have a human element to them too, no doubt most of the donkey work is done by scripting but then it's bounced back to a real human just to fill in certain parts. Even with email verifications and question & answer we still get 10+ spammers a day registering.

I remember back when I started in 2000, people spamming forums was almost unheard of, even turning on email verification was a big step!
                          Tools like the StopForumSpam (listed above) or Spam-O-Matic addons help a lot with the human element as well.
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• CeleronXT
                            • Mar 2002

I turned on Q&A and since then the spam has completely stopped.
                            "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
                            "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
                            Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...