And then Facebook started a mega forum system...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Unfortunately it doesn't work under HTTPS. I am not willing to loosen my Facebook security to look at the app.

Leave a comment:

• Leadcrow
    replied
    Before using vb's images, the visual feel already was suspiciously emulating vb3's. The color palette might even be identical. I had to check to confirm it wasnt some remotedly running minimalist vb3 forum system.

On an aside, Im surprised to see facebook's trademark liberally used for this app (likely without permission). No wonder people get confused as to wether this is an actual facebook project. Other than exploiting the branding strength of facebook's name, this app seems to rest on very little merit.

Leave a comment:

• Alfa1
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Mikey
    This isn't an official facebook project. It's merely a third party application.
    What does that matter? It still sends invites and notifications to facebook members.

Leave a comment:

• Arkham
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Mikey
    Yep, and a pretty flaky one at that.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Mikey
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Razasharp
    replied
    I've been warning about facebook and forums for years, it's only a matter of time before they launch official ones imo.

Leave a comment:

• Alfa1
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark.B
    That app is illegal as it uses copyrighted vb3 images, eg the navbits folders.

Hopefully with IB's litigious nature they'll go for it, they would actually be justified in doing so this time.

As for the app itself, the design is clunky and outdated (like vB3's design is, good as it was at the time), not any sort of serious threat. It will have its uses for those who want to use it, same sort of kids who used to set up free phpbb boards and make all their mates admins, then close it three weeks later.
    Maybe it is a heavily customized vb3. If they have 2 licenses (1 for each domain) then they would be using vbulletin according to what the vb license allows.

Leave a comment:

• rootsxrocks
    replied
    the pop ups and ads turned me off right away. difficult to navigate and generally sux, besides we all know what happened to my space when they got to big, they lose the community feeling. Agreed Mark this is one they should pursue to protect there customers. Unless thats the conspiracy were IB is trying to direct the public to face book because they have investments there. It would not be the first time a great product was purchased to be systematically dismantled.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    That app is illegal as it uses copyrighted vb3 images, eg the navbits folders.

Hopefully with IB's litigious nature they'll go for it, they would actually be justified in doing so this time.

As for the app itself, the design is clunky and outdated (like vB3's design is, good as it was at the time), not any sort of serious threat. It will have its uses for those who want to use it, same sort of kids who used to set up free phpbb boards and make all their mates admins, then close it three weeks later.

Leave a comment:

• rootsxrocks
    replied
    a lot of our members post on both, but I have noticed a lag time while the facebook stuff loads, I may disable it if it becomes a nusiance.

Leave a comment:

• aussiefooty
    replied
    That's pretty awesome to be honest.
    But yeah it seems pointless if you just wanted to promote your own forum.
    Hmmm i wonder if facebook have got a vB license for their forums?

Leave a comment:

• TomJames
    replied
    Originally posted by kentaurus
    This is no different from a user creating an ezboard
    Or someone downloading phpbb or other free forum solution and using that

I very much doubt sales would be affected at all or if anyone should really care
    The only difference is that much like Facebook quiz's this allows the 'discussion' to spread around Facebook friend groups rapidly which means near instant exposure to tens of thousands of people whilst a phpBB or ZetaBoard doesn't.

Having said that I think people go to forums for things relating to their friend groups, not for discussion of other topics, and not in detail either. I imagine people will still think of a certain site with its distinct design over a generic Facebook forum.

Leave a comment:

• Arkham
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark.B
    I also blame the dumb users who flock to them like flies round sh!t.
    I'm not using it anytime soon, but I managed to score the "Horror" keyword. Phew. Filing this away for possible future use.

Leave a comment:

• Alfa1
    replied
    Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
    Scarily like vB3 in it's looks...
    It even has some of the same icons.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Originally posted by Ramsesx
    Soon, all those freaking big-player will destroy everything because they are to greedy. Facebook forum, google forum, only a matter of time...
    I also blame the dumb users who flock to them like flies round sh!t.

Leave a comment: