Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And then Facebook started a mega forum system...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Chat And then Facebook started a mega forum system...

Facebook Forums has arrived. Everyone can start his own forum now. All hosted on facebook.
    I wonder if Scott MacVicar is involved in the development of facebook forums.

A rap forum as an example:
    http://apps.facebook.com/facebook_fo...apchicfaction/

Say hello on Fabians forum: http://apps.facebook.com/facebook_fo...php?forum=1163

Here is the general index:
    http://apps.facebook.com/facebook_forums/?directory

I do think that Facebook forums will spread like wildfire, because there are already hundreds of millions of members connected. Friends will get alerts of posts. Visiting a facebook forum automatically makes you a member of that forum.

But dont forget to integrate your member base with facebook!
    I buy 420 forums

Should Facebook allow domains in the future, I can without any question see a potential major issue for the privately owned and operated community and website.

But dont forget to integrate your member base with facebook!
    I agree with this completely. Facebook Connect was one of the dumbest things to be integrated into vBulletin core. If a person can't take 1-3 minutes to register for your community, you probably don't want them in your community to begin with. Though, OpenID might have been a better, more neutral option if some form of external registration was absolutely needed.

So many forums are so eager to share their content via things such as 'Share this on facebook!' or 'Tweet this on twitter!'. I honestly never seen the bonus in it. Can you not just copy+paste a link if you would like to share it, is there seriously a need for a one-click button to give others your content?

Thing is, if you share your content on Twitter or Facebook and somebody actually likes it and it does become a good subject matter, 8/10 times they will _not_ join your forum to discuss it, they will discuss it on Facebook or Twitter. Since you just exported your content to that medium, why *not* continue it there?

Companies can make a facebook page, now they can make a forum, all at no cost to them. 2+2=?

If you like irony, you'll love this.

Comment

Wow, wow wow, I need to see this

Comment

Is this official? It is just ugly. Plus, pointing to facebookforums.net, no press release and badly integrated really ...

Maybe just some user creating an App for creating forums?
        Last edited by kentaurus; Wed 13th Apr '11, 11:02pm.
        CemZoo Wiki - The complete anime encyclopedia
        CemZoo Foros - Spanish Anime & Gaming Community (also browse our archive)

Comment

I do think that Facebook forums will spread like wildfire, because there are already hundreds of millions of members connected. Friends will get alerts of posts. Visiting a facebook forum automatically makes you a member of that forum.
          O my.. i have to agree

Does this mean the end for vbulletin?, i def think sales will be affected

wD
          Simple Straight Forward EU cPanel vBulletin Web Hosting Provider.

Comment

This is no different from a user creating an ezboard
            Or someone downloading phpbb or other free forum solution and using that

I very much doubt sales would be affected at all or if anyone should really care

Plus, not official.. just see http://www.facebookforums.net/support.php
            You need help? Contact us: forumforfacebook@gmail.com

Anybody can just create a Facebook app...
            CemZoo Wiki - The complete anime encyclopedia
            CemZoo Foros - Spanish Anime & Gaming Community (also browse our archive)

Comment

This isn't Facebook themselves it's just a third party app, albeit quite a nice one at first glance.

Does look like vB3 but for those reasons won't appeal to the "Facebook crowd" because it doesn't have the (tedious) "web 2.0" look that Facebook uses.
              MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.4.4 Demo
              AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Soon, all those freaking big-player will destroy everything because they are to greedy. Facebook forum, google forum, only a matter of time...

Comment

Originally posted by Ramsesx View Post
                  Soon, all those freaking big-player will destroy everything because they are to greedy. Facebook forum, google forum, only a matter of time...
                  I also blame the dumb users who flock to them like flies round sh!t.
                  MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.4.4 Demo
                  AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
                    Scarily like vB3 in it's looks...
                    It even has some of the same icons.
                    I buy 420 forums

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
                      I also blame the dumb users who flock to them like flies round sh!t.
                      I'm not using it anytime soon, but I managed to score the "Horror" keyword. Phew. Filing this away for possible future use.

Comment

Originally posted by kentaurus View Post
                        This is no different from a user creating an ezboard
                        Or someone downloading phpbb or other free forum solution and using that

I very much doubt sales would be affected at all or if anyone should really care
                        The only difference is that much like Facebook quiz's this allows the 'discussion' to spread around Facebook friend groups rapidly which means near instant exposure to tens of thousands of people whilst a phpBB or ZetaBoard doesn't.

Having said that I think people go to forums for things relating to their friend groups, not for discussion of other topics, and not in detail either. I imagine people will still think of a certain site with its distinct design over a generic Facebook forum.
                        - TomJames

Comment

That's pretty awesome to be honest.
                          But yeah it seems pointless if you just wanted to promote your own forum.
                          Hmmm i wonder if facebook have got a vB license for their forums?
                          Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
                          Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

a lot of our members post on both, but I have noticed a lag time while the facebook stuff loads, I may disable it if it becomes a nusiance.
                            Designing Your Forum Around The Members Lifestyle becoming A Valuable Asset To The Community With VB Before Trying To Make A Buck.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X