Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fly
    • Oct 2003

Winamp.com vBulletin Forum Breach

What is Winamp? Why is Winamp? How is Winamp? All these burning questions and issues discussed within.

Anyone know how this happened and if its related to an open or fixed bug?
  • Leadcrow
    • Oct 2010

Leaks? Smells like delicious reading material. Was there anything juicy reported?
    Winamp dropped balls big time, so I'm not really all that interested about either their giganormously bloated app (that can coincidentally play music) or the forum.

Comment

• Fly
      • Oct 2003

I can't find anything juicy.

What are the chances we could get an official comment from vB that all currently patched forums are unaffected?

Comment

• traen
        • Oct 2009
        • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Fly
        I can't find anything juicy.

What are the chances we could get an official comment from vB that all currently patched forums are unaffected?
        Was winamp exploited via vbulletin or plugins or something else entirely?

Comment

• Fly
          • Oct 2003

Originally posted by traen
          Was winamp exploited via vbulletin or plugins or something else entirely?
          I don't know. Whatever happened, it only affected their forum.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
            vBulletin Support
            • Aug 2002
            • 5.7.X

If they believe it came through the vBulletin software, they're welcome to contact us. If we don't hear from them, we can assume it came through another method.
            Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
            - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• ManagerJosh
              • Jun 2002

Why are they asking users to change their passwords? *frowns*.. granted it is best practice....
              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

If they were running an older version which did not have the improved salts, then that would be a good reason. New salts are only generated whne a user updates their password.

Comment

• ComoEstaEso-com
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 3.8.x

In all this, I must say that I commend WinAmp.com for sending out the eMail.
                  I received it yesterday... and although one's initial reaction is "OMG"... in reality, they did the right thing.
                  They were upfront and honest with their community regarding the intrusion.

And I share Trevor's opinion: If they haven't contacted vB, then we shouldn't assume it was "through" vB.
                  Disable Block Cache --- y/N
                  Leave this setting alone.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...