• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jscieza
    • Sep 2007
    • 3.8.x

AVForums: the vB 3.x forum that looks like XenForo

Hi,

AVForums is a forum running vBulletin 3.8.2 but now it looks like XenForo in some parts: http://www.avforums.com/forums/index...=switch_to_exp

Why? From the announcement:

Who created it?
    I am not a designer, so I employed the guys at Complete vB to create the new look for us. They have create a lot of vBulletin forum designs, came highly recommended and have produced a new look for us which several other design experts have commended.
    The implementation of the new design, however, ran into problems as AVForums is such a complex site. To get the new design online, I employed the services of my friend Kier Darby who was the lead developer of vBulletin and is the co-owner of xenForo. To say he is an expert in vBulletin would be a vast understatement. As a result, the new style has been implemented exceptionally well. Kier's design qualifications are also excellent, and he has helped with further tweaks as we approached launch.
    Interesting! I wonder how much Kier charges per hour of job. Maybe US$1,000?

Thank you,
    Jonathan
  • Ace
    • Apr 2004
    • 4.2.X

It doesn't really look like Xenforo though. Breadcrumb, maybe.. not much else.
    My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
    vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• Spinball
      • Oct 2001
      • 3.8.x

Thanks for noticing.

Originally posted by Ace
      It doesn't really look like Xenforo though. Breadcrumb, maybe.. not much else.
      Breadcrumb as you say, forum home right-hand columns, forum list right-hand columns, reduced height of the postbit user info (via collapsible element), expandable login tab. There is still more to do.
      Stuart Wright, founder AVForums.com. [strike]13[/strike] 15 million posts and counting.
      vBulletin user from 2001. We stopped upgrading vB at 3.8.2 and sadly we're going no further.

Comment

• Ace
        • Apr 2004
        • 4.2.X

Indeed. Bit much to say it 'looks like xenforo' at the moment though.
        vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• Mark.B
          vBulletin Support
          • Feb 2004
          • 6.0.X

There are some similarities and it's obvious that's the design direction they are heading in, ahead of an eventual switch.

My breadcrumb bar also looks a bit like XenForo's, but then their breadcrumb design, in appearance, is not entirely unique it has to be said. (The way it's actually built is though).
          MARK.B
          vBulletin Support
          ------------
          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Spinball
            • Oct 2001
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Ace
            Indeed. Bit much to say it 'looks like xenforo' at the moment though.
            No, you can't polish a turd
            It's a good way of easing our members into the xenForo style, though.
            Stuart Wright, founder AVForums.com. [strike]13[/strike] 15 million posts and counting.
            vBulletin user from 2001. We stopped upgrading vB at 3.8.2 and sadly we're going no further.

Comment

• Ace
              • Apr 2004
              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Spinball
              Touché.

Comment

• Private_Ale
                • Nov 2007
                • 3.8.x

Jonathan:

Personally, I don't think it looks too hot. At first impression, an overinflated balloon comes to mind when one looks at the overall structure and color scheme.

It's still no less table-based than a stock installation and buttons are still image-based. Other than giving the table headers a superabundant amount of padding, funkifying the forumbit, and a lavender-ish color that rivals my girlfriend's favorite bra, I don't really see anything 'exciting' about it and if someone was actually paid to do it, they paid too much. Frankly, the only nice piece is the breadcrumb and it's not exactly unique any more.

My biggest question, for you Jonathan, is why copy/paste the same exact message on both the .com/.org forums? Does this make you feel 'big' or like you are 'fighting the system'?

Thank you,
                Maurice

Wanna bet
                Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Loco.M
                  • Mar 2005
                  • 3.5.x

I wouldn't say it looks like xF either, it just looks real "bubbly" and makes the page real long IMO

nice video..lol
                  -- Web Developer for hire
                  ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                    • Jul 2008

Obviously significant effort and cost went into this... Does this mean your planned switch to XenForo is still a long ways away? Seems like a lot of work for something that's just going to be up a few months?

Comment

• Arkham
                      • Mar 2001
                      • 4.1.x

Originally posted by BirdOPrey5
                      Obviously significant effort and cost went into this... Does this mean your planned switch to XenForo is still a long ways away? Seems like a lot of work for something that's just going to be up a few months?
                      With the high profile and established prestige of his site (it's the best-of-breed for internet A/V users), I suspect that the XF folks are going all-out to assist in making this a spotlight example of XF. Smart moves, all around.

I don't necessarily agree with all of Spinball's criticisms, but most of them have merit. This has been an opportunity wasted on vB's part. They should have bent over backwards, forwards, and sideways to keep him happy. Avsforums.com is probably in the Top 3 biggest, best-est, brightest vB-for-now communities out there.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                        • Jul 2008

I agree, if I was running vBulletin sites like AVS Forums would have a direct number to my office.

Comment

• Arkham
                          • Mar 2001
                          • 4.1.x

Originally posted by BirdOPrey5
                          I agree, if I was running vBulletin sites like AVS Forums would have a direct number to my office.
                          Just to clarify, while AVSForum is another prime example, Spinball runs AVForums.com.

(Which still sometimes confuses me when I try to log in as "Arkham" instead of ".Arkham" because someone used my name on AVForums.com. )

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                            • Jul 2008

Thanks for the calcification. I never noticed the slight difference in name.

Comment

• Mr. Mikey
                              • Feb 2009

Looks good, cant wait to see you running XenForo
                              My Forums: The Geek District - Off Topic Hut
                              My Blog: Mikeylicious
                              Projects: Shorten URL's with kwn.me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...